Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2011, 11:32   #1

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
Boat Yard Live Aboard - Where in Puget Sound Close to a Major Airport ?

A friend asked to me to find a place to put his 47' sloop on the hard for a while. He needs to go work elsewhere in the country for a while, and occasionally, he and his partner will come back to the Puget Sound area to work on the boat.

He called/emailed about 10 places and couldn't find any location that would let him live aboard a boat in dry dock while he works on it.

I know the Port Townsend Boat Haven will allow that, but it is too far away from a major airport where he can fly in on occasion.

Anyone have any suggestions? He needs to do this by April 1, 2011.

I'm going to start the Internet search with Olympia and Seattle and see where that leads me.

Thanks for your input, folks.
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 11:39   #2

Contact Dagmar's Marina in Everett to check on their transient liveaboard policy.

(Dagmars Marina - Everett, WA) Operation
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 12:13   #3

They don't take live aboards in dry dock at Dagmar's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
Contact Dagmar's Marina in Everett to check on their transient liveaboard policy.

(Dagmars Marina - Everett, WA) Operation
thanks for the thought. Also, they have a waiting list for dry dock. And don't lift boats as large as 47' out of the water.

If I find the answer, I'll post it just for the record.

This is a slightly tough nut to crack.
Old 04-03-2011, 21:03   #4

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: Boat Yard Live Aboard - Where in Puget Sound Close to a Major Airport ?

My boat is in the boatyard in the SF Bay area, 200 miles from home. The boatyard prohibits sleeping aboard but they will allow us to sleep in our RV while we're there working on the boat and they don't mind us using their electricity. This solves some problems. We don't need to haul everything (food, clothes, etc.) up the ladder into the boat every time we arrive. We can destroy the inside of the boat and walk away at the end of the day and still have a clean place to sleep. We don't need to keep the boat's systems running for our own comfort, we can just take it apart and leave it apart as long as necessary.
A cheap RV could really solve some problems. Buy something small for $1000, use it until you're done with it and sell it.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 15:21   #5

Re: Boat Yard Live Aboard - Where in Puget Sound Close to a Major Airport ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
My boat is in the boatyard in the SF Bay area, 200 miles from home. The boatyard prohibits sleeping aboard but they will allow us to sleep in our RV while we're there working on the boat and they don't mind us using their electricity. This solves some problems. We don't need to haul everything (food, clothes, etc.) up the ladder into the boat every time we arrive. We can destroy the inside of the boat and walk away at the end of the day and still have a clean place to sleep. We don't need to keep the boat's systems running for our own comfort, we can just take it apart and leave it apart as long as necessary.
A cheap RV could really solve some problems. Buy something small for $1000, use it until you're done with it and sell it.
that sounds like a decent idea. Thanks. The situation has resolved itself though.

The friend finally decided to put the boat on the hard - not live on it that way -and use a relative's apartment to stay in.

But for those who may have an interest, South Park Marina on the DuWamish River in Seattle can accommodate a live aboard on the hard - depending on their quota of liveaboards. Temporarily or occasionally spending the night on a boat on the hard is ok with them.

They have secure showers and laundry facilities, but their dry storage is not secure. Kind of a reason to take pause - no security on the boats on the hard.

Other than Port Townsend, which is not close to any major airport, couldn't find a good live aboard on the hard situation. Really, Port Townsend is not that great either - The Boat Haven has no security on the showers or laundry facilities.

Boaters at the Boat Haven have had their laundry stolen or so I was told, and I spoke with one woman who was attacked in the shower by a homeless woman. A man hearing her screaming ran into the women's shower and pulled the psycho off of her. Not a good set up.

Tags
airport, puget sound