Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 07:10   #16

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Buy a house or liveaboard ???

Rent an apartment, and save every dime you make.
forget maintaining a house.
Travel with a backpack, and see some of the places you would like to sail to.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:11   #17

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

You sound like you need to rent as you are not ready to be tied down! Where you are located the climate are big factors, and if you plan involve girls/females a boat is great temporary/get away but most females will not live on a boat long term. So don’t just look at boat vrs a house but your over all future plans.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:28   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Houses appreciate; boats depreciate.
Generally true, especially newer boats in the short term. However I found the original 1984 new invoice from Pearson three years ago when I bought it used and I paid exactly the same as the boat sold for new. But considering 1984 dollars vs 2009 dollars I guess that was depreciation anyway. Not to mentions 25 years of wear and tear.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:09   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

I would do whatever job commitments dictated, and if none then would not buy a house in any area until that was known. Doesn't mean I would buy a liveaboard either! as until you have half an idea of what your plans are for the next few years would be easy to find that moving a boat accross country not so easy, quick or cheap - and selling would make a rental look cheap.

Therefore I would go for a monthly rental..........

.......in South East Asia. for a year or 2!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:46   #20

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Boat.
I've never owned a house. At 19 I moved aboard boats and only moved off for nursing school and then years later a bad illness( at 40). Both times I moved off to an RV. Houses feel too confining, stationary roof and four walls just give me the shivers, shrug, but most of the population seem to love them :-).
So my 2cents, go for the boat. Don't pay attention to the folks who say you'll never find a woman, they are wrong( no offense). My only detour to your plan would be to look at a tri or cat for space and a nice turn of speed. Or if you are into powerboats get a nice old trawler, they can take you places.
Whatever you do, good luck and be happy.
Erika
Old 09-07-2013, 00:07   #21

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

A House can produce an income in addition to capital appreciation. A boat like a car depreciates over time and has high ongoing maintenance costs.
If your head rules then you will buy a house first and clear most or all of the mortgage before you buy the boat. The rental income can then support your cruising lifestyle.
But if your heart rules then bugger your head, go for the boat and let the future hold what it holds.
Old 09-07-2013, 00:19   #22

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
A House can produce an income in addition to capital appreciation. A boat like a car depreciates over time and has high ongoing maintenance costs.
If your head rules then you will buy a house first and clear most or all of the mortgage before you buy the boat. The rental income can then support your cruising lifestyle.
But if your heart rules then bugger your head, go for the boat and let the future hold what it holds.
Or if you live where house prices are nuts, and condo fees cost as much as moorage... you can follow both at once!
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:01   #23
cruiser

Quote:
A House can produce an income in addition to capital appreciation.
Sorry about cutting most of your quote. Your view on the housing model as an investment used to work here in the USA... but no longer does.

I sold our house just by chance at the top of the housing market 6 years ago; the poor chap who now lives in my house is $200,000 poorer in equity in the same house, plus he has the ongoing annual expense of over $10,000 in city property tax.

As a renter, the OP could essentially use just his money saved on the property tax on any house purchase plus the ongoing maintenance costs to support a very decent cruising lifestyle including boat repairs.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:50   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Buy a House or Liveaboard?

When you choose the door, what comes out? .....the Lady or the Tiger?

When I was your age my choice was the boat and I've been aboard with the lady for many years. I'm sure that, if I had selected the house, I could still have had a wonderful history, but most of my friends and relatives live in houses. Compared to those with houses and comparable careers, I enjoy a greater discretionary income. It's a huge game of luck and skill as the tiger can be behind either door.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:12   #25

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
ditto about cutting most of your quote.

I sold our house just by chance at the top of the housing market 6 years ago; the poor chap who now lives in my house is $200,000 poorer in equity in the same house.
Sounds to me like NOW is a perfect time to buy a house.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:51   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Sounds to me like NOW is a perfect time to buy a house.
The problems in the US have more to do with the tax code and local tax obligations than the actual purchase price of the house. City taxes continue to rise out of control due to city worker pension funds, so despite lower interest rates and housing purchase costs, the overall annual cost obligation continues to rise.

Now if the OP had asked "should I consider buying commercial real estate with a positive monthly cash flow"....I'd say buy the multi-family house and live in one of the units then buy your boat in a few years. The commercial aspect will allow him to deduct all those monthly maintenance costs and expenses.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:32   #27

Boat: Jim Young Rocket 31

Follow your heart man. I know it sounds corny - but you are young, and you will not have that level of freedom again for quite a while if you wander down 'Mortgage Alley'. Houses, and everything that goes with them is just stuff. If I were 22 again, ... I would be gone like a shot. In fact I intend retiring at the earliest possible moment to do just that.

Tony
tonysail1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:01   #28

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
At 22 I would not buy a house but that is me. I'm not sure I'd buy a boat either other than a very cheap one. I'd be working and saving myself. If anything I might buy a small plot of land where I had someone to check it periodically. The job is a factor too...I moved a lot for my career and frankly selling a house right now is miserable.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 18:45   #29

Boat: Columbia 41

I am afloat in a marina. I know lots of home owners who are under water. You can find lots of 40 foot boats in the $25k to $40k range. A 1970's vintage Morgan 41 comes to mind. You may have to do some work on it. But if you buy a house you will also have to work on that too. The thing about old boats is, you will have to pay cash. You will not be able to find financing. That is generally why they don't cost much because the available market is quite small. Not many people have the cash or something to borrow against (real estate, mutual funds, etc).

I think you need to look into yourself and observe the kind of person you are. There are in many marinas boats that have been abandoned. It seems that people often buy in passion and linger in dispair. They do not realize that there is a mountain of marine learning to do and they simply do not care to put in the time to learn it. The boat they yearned for becomes dead weight tonnage. They cannot sell it and will not maintain it. In the end, they just walk away from it. Are you willing to change your life from what you have known ashore? Are you willing to know every system on your boat and how to repair it? Are you willing to learn piloting? It is a new life but a life that I would not give up for anything. Good luck.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 20:01   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Plan B View Post
.................. You can find lots of 40 foot boats in the $25k to $40k range. A 1970's vintage Morgan 41 comes to mind. You may have to do some work on it.....................
Since I live aboard a "vintage" early '70's Morgan Out Island 41 this idea amuses me. Of course, I bought my first Morgan OI in 1973 when it was brand new. I also read on this thread that some are doubtful that they could find a female partner to share their dreams. Now, there's an absolute myth. Many ladies share the same excitment for the adventure and freedoms of living on a sailboat. I easily sold this idea to a young lady in 1969 who has been with me cruising for more than forty years. Seven of my wife's closest friends are ladies that have shared the joy of living and cruising on sailboats. Oh, "you may have to do some work on it" stands for the boat and the relationship!

Tags
liveaboard