Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2014, 15:25   #1

Buying my First Boat in the Spring

Hey there everyone. I have been thinking about it for a while and reading quite a bit about becoming a live aboard. From many people who have stories like mine, people seem to say "JUST DO IT." So I'm taking that advice.

I'm very excited to report that I will be buying my first boat in the spring and becoming a live aboard. I've never been sailing, but I know this is the right thing for me.

I've found a local marina 5 minutes from my current apartment that has all the amenities I need, allows live aboards over the winter months, and is very reasonably priced. I live right on Lake Ontario by Toronto.

I'm thinking of buying an older 30-35 footer in decent condition that I can learn to sail on for the next 10 or so years, then upgrade to a newer and sturdier boat for sailing around North America on.

I'm going to head down to the marina next weekend with a nice bottle of wine and bribe some live aboards to tell me what life is like. I have some details planned out - my mother and best friend both said I could do making cooking and storage at their houses. I'm going to get my boating license ASAP and take some sailing classes to help lower insurance costs, though I don't plan on any actual sailing without someone who is very experienced aboard with me - I'm sure I'll make some friends on the marina. I'm preparing to sell almost everything I own... and I'm actually excited about that.

Any words of wisdom, advice or literally anything I should know? I'm a pretty hardy mo'fo, determined, hard working and very adaptable. Not to mention young and single, which helps when you're doing something crazy like moving onto a sailboat. Ha.

Thanks
NeverShallWeDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 15:53   #2

Boat: csy 37
Re: Buying my first boat in the spring

Also get a used sunfish. You can probably keep it in or near your slip. You will learn more about the principles of sailing on a sunfish than on your big boat. And its much easier to take it out sailing on a moments notice.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 15:57   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Prices might be better in the winter? Why wait, buy in like Feb., don't move in until spring
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 16:24   #4

Boat: Vancouver 27

Good luck, man! With any luck, you'll fall in love with the lifestyle and be unable to imagine doing anything else
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 16:54   #5

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Prices might be better in the winter? Why wait, buy in like Feb., don't move in until spring
Dang! Beat me to it.

Winter is the best time to find a bargain. Buyers have way less competition.

In boating overall the best things always lie just beyond the extra mile that the other guy won't go. Remember that.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 17:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Yeah I was thinking of that too.
NeverShallWeDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 09:16   #7

Re: Buying my First Boat in the Spring

I smiled when I read your post....I have been looking, reading, and planning for the last 3 years to buy and move onto a boat; a dream I've harbored for the last 15 years. Like you, my experience is at best limited, however, I know more about myself than I know about sailing and have no trepidation about moving on board. My plan is to finally purchase a boat this fall/winter and move aboard as soon as possible....Good luck to you and congratulations!!!! Advice from others always welcomed...
Cwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 12:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Also get a used sunfish. You can probably keep it in or near your slip. You will learn more about the principles of sailing on a sunfish than on your big boat. And its much easier to take it out sailing on a moments notice.
+3/4

I would say +1 but I had a Sunfish and didn't like the latine sail. I preferr either a sloop or a cat rigged boat. I love sailing my Montgomary 10. I do agree with the idea of starting with a small sailboat. I would recommend getting a sailing dinghy that can do double duty as a tender for your liveaboard once you get it.

Everything you learn on a small boat will transfer to your larger boat. You not only learn much faster on a small boat but if you mess up you'll just get wet rather than costing you hundreds or thousands of dollars.

Montgomery 10, 1977, Syracuse, Indiana, sailboat for sale from Sailing Texas, yacht for sale
BudGates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 13:23   #9

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Wow, moving onto a small sail boat in the fall with intentions of living aboard through a winter at your latitude! I
My wife and I lived on our 37' Irwin ketch for about a year including a winter, in Mystic CT. several years ago, about January we had icicles hanging from the overhead and were lucky to keep the temperature much above freezing. By middle Feb. we were forced to move because of prolonged low temperatures. Make sure you have adequate insulation and a really good heat source. We also found we needed areators to keep the water from freezing around the boat and crushing it. Good luck, keep us informed on your progress.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 19:03   #10

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

NeverShallWeDie, I just noted you said you were going to possibly "buy a 30-35 foot sail boat and learn to sail on it", contrary to what was said in reply to your message I was told to buy the boat I wanted and learn how to sail on it, this came from a skipper who had bought the boat he wanted and learned to sail on it, on his way around the world. I can't even remember his name but he was lecturing at Mystic Sea Port in Mystic CT. Big boats are far more forgiving than small ones, just stay clear of other traffic until you get the hang of it, it doesn't take long.
Good luck and fair seas
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying