Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2022, 22:21   #1

California to Florida liveaboard cruiser

I currently live on a 36ft islander on a mooring in Newport Beach. It is my first boat and I have built it and upgraded it for the purpose of cruising to Mexico and Cortez. It is fully self sustainable in electronics, with water maker, solar etc. It is my first boat and didn't know exactly what I want and I am trying to sell it for a 2nd chance of building a self sufficient cruiser with knowledge of what to expect from owning a boat. I have been provisioning with 6-12 months to a year supply of foods and supplies for preparation. I plan on not ever spending time in marinas and being full time on the hook. I am also needing a climate change as the west coast is too damn cold all year round. I have family in SW Florida and I am interested in living in the keys and around Florida at anchor. I will be making the boat sufficient with solar, electronics, and water maker and provision with 6-12 months of food and supplies. I know Cortez is one of the best places to do this but I have been in the keys before and I really like all of Florida that I have been to as the tropical climate is what I need. I would be sailing, taking the boat to new locations and exploring the keys and anchorages. What are the realities of living on the hook and cruising in the keys? How shallow of draft is needed? Can you anchor almost anywhere except seagrass and coral? Is there a time limit of anchoring in nature preserves? Being from the west coast I have had to become very good at seeking out protected anchorages as there isn't many here, not really a cruisers destination. Are protected anchorages plentiful in the keys? My current boat is a 6ft draft. What unexpected issues are there with being a cruiser in the keys?
Hawkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 05:25   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: California to Florida liveaboard cruiser

6' draft will limit you. "Protected" anchorage depends on the wind and there are only a few truly good protected anchorages in the Keys. Your biggest issue is going to be finding a good anchorage with good land access among all the derelict and other anchorage out boats.

The Keys are nice in the winter and I have spent the last 3 there. But I don't really understand why a boater would want to stay there full time.
Old 04-04-2022, 08:56   #3

Re: California to Florida liveaboard cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
6' draft will limit you. "Protected" anchorage depends on the wind and there are only a few truly good protected anchorages in the Keys. Your biggest issue is going to be finding a good anchorage with good land access among all the derelict and other anchorage out boats.

The Keys are nice in the winter and I have spent the last 3 there. But I don't really understand why a boater would want to stay there full time.
Do you mean land access to the land around highway 1 or land access to remote keys? I guess they don't all have samdy beaches. I have spent time around bahia Honda, key largo and and key west. I haven't been to any of the outer keys. Do most of the keys have clear water or is murky in most places?
What is the issue with summer there? I really like the hot, humid climate, hurricanes would obviously be the biggest concern.
Hawkg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california, cruise, cruiser, florida, liveaboard