Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 06:57   #16

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
we purchased an OLYMPUS Stylus 850 SW and have been very happy with it. it is small so you can take it everywhere and also its waterproof.
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:07   #17

Dave is world class in everything he does.

He's in a world class all his own. Gorgeous work Dave!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:15   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
any camera will do--but i think the under water capabilities are excellent in weather---donot want to get a regular camera wet. i use just a sony cybershot--not underwater rated---i use it in storms and in clear weather. the pix are good when i donot move my hands and the quality is such that i would buy another if i had to replace this one should i need to so do...i store the pix on a flash drive or on an external hard drive--depending which laptop i am using..i also use a dial u0op broadband card from sprint--works anywhere there is a cell tower and also is capable of picking up wifi signals......i havent had any problems except the usual sprint related issues...LOL~~~~~~_/)~~~~~~~
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:52   #19

Boat: Hunter 430 Legend
As a pro photographer the issues of traveling with camera equipment are always a planning priority. When I go sailing I put my equipment on a "Pelican Case". They area waterproof, and will float if they fall in the water. The salty air will do a job on your equipment over time if not well protected, so you may want to put some moisture absorbing pads with it. The "Pelican Cases" are a little bulkier than a bag but offer far superior protection. In a boat where space is limited, they can be cumbersome. You have to compromise somewhere

When in foreign countries, or unknown situations/areas, I usually don't carry my expensive Nikkor 70-200 2.8 - it's big and totally attracts attention (unless I need the Image Stabilization on it - if it's a paying job, but then I research and ask lots of questions before bringing it), I take instead a cheaper zoom lens that is smaller, not the same quality but if you are only photographing for pleasure and not to sell the work, that should suffice. You can also carry your equipment in a regular backpack instead of in a camera bag when walking around town. People won't know what is in your bag, then just take the camera out if you feel it's a safe situation. Using your judgement and doing a little research about the area ahead of time will be key.

I regret it when I don't bring the good equipment on certain situations though. You can certainly tell the difference on the images if you have a crititcal/trained eye. That said, sometimes I want to relax and not feel the pressure of taking perfect pictures, so I carry a little point and shoot to take snapshots if it's not an important event or a scenic place I won't be going back to.
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:20   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
With all due respect Pelegic, you could take that picture with a inexpensive digital camera.

Every image in my gallery was taken with a $150 point and shoot digital camera. Have a look.

Your right Defjef..... it very much is in the hands and eye of the holder..... (as I am new to photography)

But Maxingout makes my point with professional clarity
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 13:00   #21

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Why I like my DSLR

A slightly different approach. Here's why I choose to bring my DSLR, and not just use a good point and shoot. Perhaps others can add advantages they see. it might help people decide whether or not the additional advantages matter to them.

Reasons I take a DSLR cruising in addition to a point and shoot:

1. Faster - No shutter lag, focus faster, more burst images.

2. Better quality image*

3. Ability to change and choose lenses independently of camera body: Quality, focal length, speciality lenses.

4. Greater flexibility to use filters. I use a polarizing filter much of the time when cruising. Lens hoods and other add ons as well.

5. More control - I can choose what ISO I want, manually focus for the depth of field I want, and easily over or under expose compared to light meter or use manual settings.

6. One actually sees through the lens when looking through the viewfinder

7. Needed for stock images should I ever go that route.

Reasons I sometimes use my point and shoot:

1. Cheaper to purchase or replace if I damage it.

2. Small size means easier to carry, more accessible, less likely to get wet

3. Little danger of getting dust or other foreign material inside the camera.

4. More discreet to carry and use

5. Simple - look at your subject and push the button.

The main reason I do not use my point and shoot more is that images taken with it for the most part can not be used for print publication, art photos or stock. With a few exceptions, it meets my needs for online viewing.

* image quality: point and shoots have largely closed the resolution gap, but I think resolution is over rated. It is only one factor in producing a photo of technical quality. The size of sensor, type of sensor and of course lens quality make an enormous difference. I've even read many cameras have a resolution that goes well beyond these other limitations. Most stock companies will not accept images taken with a point and shoot camera (and will check) due to the overall lower quality of the images.

That said, resolution or lack there of has it's limitations and I see this mostly when going to print. The quality you will get from a given resolution is graduated. There really is no magic line at which an image goes from sharp to looking bad. However, 300 ppi is a number that is fairly well accepted and is often the cut of for print publication. Depending on the nature of the image, you may find less than half that acceptable for personal use. Something like 100 ppi will probably look fine for online use. How your images will be presented is a factor in what you need in a camera.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 13:15   #22

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
For me the most import points are a good low light sensitivity / shutter speed and lag. Oh, and that it's waterproof. Yeah, important on a boat

... we don't want another one getting splashed and junked, do we?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterproof-digital-camera[1].jpg
Views:	454
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	9211  

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 13:17   #23

Everything nautical notes makes perfect sense.

Most of us are not printing or publishing however, and point and shoot meets the needs we have with all the limitations noted. Photoshop allows us to do a lot with a little.

Frankly I don't think a delicate expesive camera will last for years on a boat. Marine rated gear doesn't even do well. Humidity and salt will kill it.

Is there something in the middle?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 14:43   #24

The life of things with lenses has not beengood on my boats, usually due to moisture. You can adjust the photo afterwards anyway now days. Not sure youneed to sacrifice a great camera, but depends on what having that with you means to you I guess...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 15:04   #25

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Everything nautical notes makes perfect sense.

Most of us are not printing or publishing however, and point and shoot meets the needs we have with all the limitations noted. Photoshop allows us to do a lot with a little.

Frankly I don't think a delicate expesive camera will last for years on a boat. Marine rated gear doesn't even do well. Humidity and salt will kill it.

Is there something in the middle?
I have two pictures I took at The Baths under similar conditions, one with my point and shoot, one with my DSLR. In terms of a full screen image, I can't tell the difference. I've also taken a few after sunset photos with a point and shoot and been satisfied. I agree that photo editing software, even free software like GIMP, can go a long ways towards diminishing some of the characteristics inherent in point and shoot cameras. If I just wanted reasonable images of my cruise, I'd just go with my canon power shot and skip the DSLR.

My Sealife eats batteries too quickly.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 16:59   #26

Being a camera freak, I carry a Canon 5d and 3 L lenses (16-35, 24-70, 70-200IS) as well as a 580 flash and 1.4x TC in a Pelican case. Waterproof, shock proof, near bullet proof) I also carry a Canon G9 P&S but am considering the new Olympus EP-1 with changable lenses as a replacement for the P&S. It's nearly as small as the G9. I download to a laptop when I have about 200 shots and then burn to a DVD on my laptop (IBM).
My cruises are only about two weeks long but I have never had an equipment failure. Good pro-level stuff is not really bothered by moisture, sand, etc. I usually have the camera in the cockpit while sailing.
Why the big guns you ask? I like to crop the RAW shot and then blow up pics to 13x19 prints.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 17:08   #27

DSLRs and humidity and salt

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. A good weathersealed DSLR system needs a wipdown after use but as long as the seals remain good will last a LONG time.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 17:30   #28

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanker View Post
we purchased an OLYMPUS Stylus 850 SW and have been very happy with it. it is small so you can take it everywhere and also its waterproof.

Me too.
It has a slightly longer focal length than others. That helps with most shots.
It has (for the little digitals) a fast response when shutter button is depressed.
It has a fast (for little digitals) reset (or whatever it is called) for the next pic. note - this is affected by which card you buy and how fast it can record the image.
I don't worry about moisture or dust or sand etc.
I did buy the silicone skin because it is much too slippery out of the box.

Best of luck.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 17:30   #29
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I have kodachromes (a moment of silent mourning, please) that simply cannot be reproduced in the 12-bit format that most consumer-grade digicams use. Jumping to a 14-bt digicam puts you in a whole new price range and don't even ask about 16-bit, but if you're just going to stick pix on the web the extra quality is almost ensured to be wasted.

You can tell who has carried their working cameras on the job in all sorts of less reputable places, there is always plain black paper "photographers' tape" neatly stuck over all the logos and ID on the camera body. Many Nikons, Canons, and other cameras are simply upholstered in blackout tape because when there's no "STEAL ME!" logo, folks tend to go steal something else.

Good cheap protection. And, it prevents your fingers from sticking to the bare metal in frostbite conditions.

If you are planning to carry a camera in crowded quarters, market shouks, places where fast fingers simply cut the shoulder cord and zoom off with it? Replace the shoulder cord with some steel picture wire, or a bicycle brake cable, neatly added in. Can't be cut, and they don't stick around to find out why.

All old old precautions that still work very nicely, very cheaply.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 17:43   #30

Go water proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2BCruiser View Post
... We are trying to become cruisers and intend to cross oceans. I am a camera junkie. I have a digital SLR Nikon and 2 lenses that I had figured on taking with me, but I am now wondering if that is such a good idea... Any thoughts on this?
I had an Exacta slr many years ago that took great photos: when ashore, or very occasionally, at sea. Wrapped in a towel or from a dry doghouse. That got lost or stolen and I bought a French original of the Nikonos. In a couple of hours I shot all 3 rolls of film in complete abandon. So find a good waterproof housing is my first thought.

All the other advice is good: put it together to suit...
George Wade is offline   Reply With Quote