Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2015, 11:15   #31

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: Can you recommend used liveaboards in the 35-45 LOA range?

Whitby 42 makes a great liveaboard and many on east coast. Check out Bluewaterboats.org for reviews of this and others. The site is mainly for cruising boats but has good writeups of older classic boats that might work for you.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 12:01   #32
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Gotten some Private Messages about the CSY 44 Pilot House I listed above with a picture.
The price is Rock Bottom, no further discounts.
Feel free to do a survey and sea trial of course, no restrictions.
Without a broker you may have to arrange some of it yourself, the owners live in Europe and the boat is registered in Europe, but was previously in Florida so it should not be a big deal getting it back on US registry and/or documentation.
The much more expensive CSY 44 Pilot House I linked up in the same posting is obviously better equipped and with more modifications and stuff.
The $75k boat is fairly basic with 10 year old electronics, but still nicely equipped and maintained.
Old 23-05-2015, 12:08   #33

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

We live on our Pearson 424 ketch in Hawai'i. She's a well built yacht with plenty of room for two people and occasional guests and is within your price range.

The unique feature of this yacht is her two companion ways. One is the traditional cut through the aft cabin to the cockpit. The other is amidships in the main saloon. This setup keeps the captain's quarters totally separate, which is nice when guests are aboard. She's not a rocket ship, but she's built strong and is very capable.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 12:40   #34

Boat: Jeanneau 409

I live on a 2003 Beneteau 393. Two cabin, 2 head. Like it just fine. Lots of storage, big tanks, great stove, huge freezer, sails nice. Cockpit big and with the Bimini connected to dodger, nice outdoor living space. Might take a little more than 75k though.
Windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 13:04   #35

Wow, if the op wants to sail the world, and can live with the upkeep of that big boat that CSY is a helluva boat.
however, I would guess well over his budget by the time he does repairs/upgrades etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 13:19   #36

Quote:

Wow, if the op wants to sail the world, and can live with the upkeep of that big boat that CSY is a helluva boat.
however, I would guess well over his budget by the time he does repairs/upgrades etc.
That being said, check the rudder and the chain plates.
Some CSYs blister, some don't, but not to the extent of old Morgans and other production boats.
Again, a good survey and some basic back ground checking of known problems should take care of many, if not most, expensive surprises.
Stuff like engine, tranny, electrical, plumbing, mast, rigging, etc are the same on all boats. If maintained and serviced properly, those pieces should be ok.
Had to replace the rudder on my CSY...
Old 23-05-2015, 13:28   #37

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

We live and cruise on a 1992 42' Center Cockpit Hunter Passage. Bought it in 2009 and spent several seasons sailing the Gulf Coast, Keys and Bahamas. In 2012 we took off for the W Caribbean for two years. 2014 found us on our way East. We are now in the Grenadines. We love the boat and don't want anything else even after visiting other cruising friends Amels, Lagoons, etc. In 6 years of cruising we visited lots of other boats for sundowners and dinners and always come back happy to be home. This boat has 2 heads, which we love having, 2 cabins, and we keep the v-berth cleared of "stuff" and guest ready. It has a delightful galley with good refrigeration and freezer space. The engine and generator can be accessed from two sides. Would be nice to have more space for working on them but...
There is lots of storage space and also A/C though not so necessary in the Caribbean.

See our boat at S/V WAHOO
nolagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 14:33   #38

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Triple 7, we need to know more about your experience level and your partners comfort needs. For example, a Valiant is a a heavy displacement blue water boat. Solid, excellent reputation, many trips around the globe. Would it be the right boat for you if u plan to stay close to shore and do know ocean crossings. As u know, mono hulls react differently in an anchorage when u get a swell or wakes passing through. They can rock and roll. It can be quite the time. Multihulls are not affected as badly. Each platform has it's pluses and minuse. My point is this... Not only do u have to chose length or budget.. U have to chose which platform fits your needs. You would be wise to fully understand your wife's needs when choosing a platform. Women do not think like men when it comes to needs. Toilets, showers, privacy, and seasickness are things to carefully take into consideration. Which might mean u need to do some charters or crew on some boats before selecting something she will tolerate. U know the saying..."if mama aint happy... No one is happy"! Also take into consideration refrigeration and how much workspace is available for kitchen work. Cats excell in this area where they have so much more space.

BTW, Pacific crealock designs are also excellent boats. I think the 37 footer is an excellent mono in your size and budget.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 15:05   #39

Boat: CLC Skerry

Just buy the trawler now and get it over with. Economical, no rigging issues, plenty of power and stowage, etc. etc. Carry a sailing dinghy for those times when the urge hits.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 17:58   #40

Quote:
. rhubstuff

Just buy the trawler now and get it over with. Economical, no rigging issues, plenty of power and stowage, etc. etc. Carry a sailing dinghy for those times when the urge hits.
Yeah, no mast. Just get your own gas station and keep topping it off.

Don't forget the oil and filters for a service every 4 days if you follow the 100
hr schedule.
More like every 6 months on a sailboat.
Old 25-05-2015, 05:39   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Chief View Post
I must put my 2 cents in here. I really enjoy my Morgan 36 OI, Ketch, with its center cockpit, and split accommodations, and two heads with showers. Also the fact there is decent headroom for someone who is 6'2". The only negative is the engine space is a bit tight for me. If you can find one you will probably want to up grade the electronics and electrical systems. I had a great time doing the ICW from N.C. to Key West and back up to St. Pete. and being shallow draft was a plus. Now she is up here in Puget Sound, WA and I am having a great time.

Good luck in your search....

That boat is also available as a sloop rig which sails quite nicely provided you're not in a hurry
Getweh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 18:06   #42

I have a 35' southern Cross that we've recently put on the market. She's a world class cruiser and ready to go. If you're interested I'll forward pics. Hdnsoth@ gmail.com
svkoko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, loa, men