Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2015, 13:50   #1

Boat: Moody 34
Can you recommend used liveaboards in the 35-45 LOA range?

I am researching boats. Can anyone give me some liveaboard boats for 2 that they could recommend? So, far I am making a list and i like liveaboard boats like the Morgan 38 and the Irwin Center Cockpit 41.
Its just for chesapeak, ICW, florida keys, bahamas - maybe caribbean - no ocean crossing.
I like ones that have a designated nav table/station. The ones with the bigger bed (like the Irwin Center Cockpit) are also two areas. I have been researching most smaller 27-35 foot boats but this new range i am looking in I really dont have much of a clue of where to start looking and researching except for the Morgan and the Irwin and I like both.
Thanks for your boat recommendations!
advocate777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 14:05   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: can u recommend used liveaboards in the 35-45 LOA range?

Here's links to a couple that are nice. The Southerly has a center cockpit and a big aft cabin.

2012 Southerly 420 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

2008 Morris Yachts M42 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

2004 Malo 41 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 14:22   #3

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Go to Yachtworld.com. Search by length. Enjoy the pretty pictures. If you are interested in something, follow up on sailboatdata.com, which will likely have a floor plan available.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 14:31   #4

it's all about budget. After that ...for your use, about actual condition. What's your total budget after upgrades/equipment.?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 14:36   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate777 View Post
I am researching boats. Can anyone give me some liveaboard boats for 2 that they could recommend? So, far I am making a list and i like liveaboard boats like the Morgan 38 and the Irwin Center Cockpit 41.
Its just for chesapeak, ICW, florida keys, bahamas - maybe caribbean - no ocean crossing.
I like ones that have a designated nav table/station. The ones with the bigger bed (like the Irwin Center Cockpit) are also two areas. I have been researching most smaller 27-35 foot boats but this new range i am looking in I really dont have much of a clue of where to start looking and researching except for the Morgan and the Irwin and I like both.
Thanks for your boat recommendations!
Howdy.

What follows is written in a truly friendly tone of voice and with the true intent to help.

Whenever I see a post asking about a boat or "help me find a boat that…" the first question that enters my mind is:

"What is your budget?"

With an adequate budget (funds or "asking price range") one can find a solution.

Without the adequate budget, it is asking folks to name what they would want, without necessarily any real fit for what you can buy.

My simple suggestion: Name the budget available for the purchase of the boat or the maximum asking or advertised price you would seriously consider spending.

Ask folks here to spend that amount for you, virtually, of course.

Upgrades, maintenance, and other costs would be extra and you should make sure you have the extra funds for those expenses.

For example, I might really, really want (or dream or fantasize) to "live aboard" a boat like a Perini Navi (one of my dream boats) but the cost of it (the budget required) to purchase and maintain it would be much, much higher than something else that would satisfy me (even if differently).

I really think it is much better to start with the realistic budget and then look for the best options that fit that budget. Otherwise it is merely fantasy, wild guesses, personal favorites, and those seldom fit the real need.

I hope this helps you or others facing the same questions.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 14:39   #6

Boat: Catana 471

If you need ICW capability, consider the Lagoon 380. By copies built and cruising, this could be the most successful cruising boat on the planet. Plus it'll get you into the shallows of the Bahamas yet go on a lap around the ball if you want....

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 16:22   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Can you recommend used liveaboards in the 35-45 LOA range?

I think skipmac makes a strong point by recommending the Morris that sells for over half a million.

As others have said the budget is critical. In addition to budget, before the selection of the manufactuer comes condition. Some modest boats have had great care and some, once prime boats, are in desperate condition.
Old 22-05-2015, 19:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Golly! Thanks Skipmac.....that was a really helpful reply! Well, at least I hope you got a good laugh out of it. Way to go! So helpful! You certainly showed me a thing or two!
Old 22-05-2015, 19:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
Go to Yachtworld.com. Search by length. Enjoy the pretty pictures. If you are interested in something, follow up on sailboatdata.com, which will likely have a floor plan available.
Thanks- I appreciate your advice. Will do-
Old 22-05-2015, 19:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
it's all about budget. After that ...for your use, about actual condition. What's your total budget after upgrades/equipment.?
Yes....i knew i forgot something. I should have mentioned the price and then I could have spared myself the smart-ass reply from Skipmac but then he would have missed a great opportunity to laugh at somebody else's expense! (actually, i am joking about his reply...it was a cute way to tell the OP that they have no patience for dumb questions on a forum where people ask questions.
I'm looking at something asking for about 75K or less.
I guess I should have said in the original post --'those of you who are liveaboards with 2 for years do you like your boat and glad you chose it? If so, what kind is it? If not, can you recommend any liveaboat boat for 2 in the 65-75K price range that you would like?'
Old 22-05-2015, 19:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Howdy.

What follows is written in a truly friendly tone of voice and with the true intent to help.

Whenever I see a post asking about a boat or "help me find a boat that…" the first question that enters my mind is:

"What is your budget?"

With an adequate budget (funds or "asking price range") one can find a solution.

Without the adequate budget, it is asking folks to name what they would want, without necessarily any real fit for what you can buy.

My simple suggestion: Name the budget available for the purchase of the boat or the maximum asking or advertised price you would seriously consider spending.

Ask folks here to spend that amount for you, virtually, of course.

Upgrades, maintenance, and other costs would be extra and you should make sure you have the extra funds for those expenses.

For example, I might really, really want (or dream or fantasize) to "live aboard" a boat like a Perini Navi (one of my dream boats) but the cost of it (the budget required) to purchase and maintain it would be much, much higher than something else that would satisfy me (even if differently).

I really think it is much better to start with the realistic budget and then look for the best options that fit that budget. Otherwise it is merely fantasy, wild guesses, personal favorites, and those seldom fit the real need.

I hope this helps you or others facing the same questions.
THANK YOU, Steady Hand. Now THAT was actually helpful. I really appreciate it. Makes great sense...and you didnt have to make me feel like an idiot!
It can be hard to find the right boat...thanks for your input..i really appreciate it-
Old 22-05-2015, 19:33   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I think skipmac makes a strong point by recommending the Morris that sells for over half a million.

Yes, it was STRONG alright! That's one word it definitely was.

As others have said the budget is critical. In addition to budget, before the selection of the manufactuer comes condition. Some modest boats have had great care and some, once prime boats, are in desperate condition.
Yeah, really true...it is ultimately about the condition of that actual boat. I guess I was just looking for some specific models that liveaboards likes. You know, like I like/dont like the morgan 38's or I have an Irwin 41 it's great/not so great. I should have mentioned the budget range- thanks for your reply-
Old 22-05-2015, 19:49   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Golly! Thanks Skipmac.....that was a really helpful reply! Well, at least I hope you got a good laugh out of it. Way to go! So helpful! You certainly showed me a thing or two!
Hey, if you were insulted by my response I apologize. Was not laughing at you, just trying to point out in a humorous way that you might have left out one of the more critical criteria in a boat search.

Since you figured it out then maybe it actually was helpful.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 21:55   #14

Boat: Mason 44

Quote:
I guess I should have said in the original post --'those of you who are liveaboards with 2 for years do you like your boat and glad you chose it? '
- 41' to 45' with a single head for a couple is easy for upkeep. Bigger would require more hours to keep her clean. easier to find a spot for 3 cylinder genset as this will offer the convenience of electrical appliances. Get a bimini with the side panels for more shades if you are coming to the tropics.

- many beautiful double ender valiant 40' have been several times rtw.
- if you are going remote places like south east asia, where navionics charts are not accurate, a traditional keel with protected rudder is desirable. One 73 royalhuisman design crashed into a coral head just breaking the surface in 50' waters!!

I like the more expensive pacific seacraft 44'.

Hope you find your dream boat.
ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 08:10   #15

Boat: WHITBY 42

We live aboard a Whitby 42 center cockpit ketch. It has is quite comfortable with 3 cabins 2 heads and an 80 hp engine. We are quite self sufficient with 300 gals. water and 300 gals of fuel giving us about 1250 mile cruising range. We've owned other boats since moving aboard in 2000, however, this is quite comfortable. engine maintainance is a cinch with a walk in engine room. There are several for sale on the Chesapeake well within your budget. Most are being sold because the owners are aging and moving ashore or to trawlers.
VOYAGER II is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, loa, men