Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2016, 23:24   #31

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Re: Captain, we have stowaways!

Bedbug infestation numbers are supposedly something that is on a dramatic rise. I have read procedures from hospitals and major hotels that indicate (to me) it is a major issue.

Large portions of retailers shelves are stocked with what I have found to be ineffective Bedbug insecticide. They are meant to be sprayed directly on the bug. I've had better luck squishing them with my finger. A lot easier than a flea to squash.

They feed on blood so there are no bait traps. They are not communal. They are back and are a force to be reckoned with. At least to folks like me that are picky about bed partners.

So far the Malathion isn't the end all of deterrents. I'm still killin' bugs.

BTW, Malathion lists quite a few hazards. Indoor use is not recommended.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:33   #32

My lady is catching up on her sleep after a night of nursing the grandkid.

I'm monitoring the temps in aft stateroom.

91 outside. 107 at headliner. 103 at sole where small space heater on highest setting sits. Temp has risen a few degrees every half hour but I expect it to peak at less than lethal temp before I shut it down this evening.

The various methods I have been using are keeping the numbers down but the stragglers keep hanging in.
Old 02-07-2016, 13:13   #33

Many years ago the University of California ran tests on roach killers (bed bugs had not re-emerged at that time) and found that regular powdered boric acid was more effective than mixing the powder with any of the commonly used additives (powdered sugar, powdered milk, etc). I used boric acid for 2 years in Mexico and the South Pacific and had zero roach problem (almost always anchored out which helps) but within 2 weeks of tying to a dock in Hawaii, we were infested. They overwhelmed everything we tried. I feel for you. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 14:39   #34

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Many years ago the University of California ran tests on roach killers (bed bugs had not re-emerged at that time) and found that regular powdered boric acid was more effective than mixing the powder with any of the commonly used additives (powdered sugar, powdered milk, etc). I used boric acid for 2 years in Mexico and the South Pacific and had zero roach problem (almost always anchored out which helps) but within 2 weeks of tying to a dock in Hawaii, we were infested. They overwhelmed everything we tried. I feel for you. _____Grant.
I don't think that's a very good endorsement of boric acid. Basically it worked well when you didn't have roaches and was useless when you did. I've tried boric acid a number of times and it didn',t do anything against an infestation. The use that may have worked was putting it on docklines to repel the buggers. Of course, rain washes it off.
Old 02-07-2016, 17:05   #35

Added second small heater. Temp at headliner reached 115 before heaters temp switches opened. Opened the hatch to let things cool.

I may dig out portable propane heater and try again tomorrow. Between CO2 and greater fire hazard would require close monitoring.
Old 02-07-2016, 18:52   #36

I blame sleep deprivation. CO and closed area a big danger.
Old 07-07-2016, 15:31   #37

Rather than playing with fire, I chose to spring for a steam cleaner. The one I purchased will produce steam or about an hour and I have refilled it a half dozen times today.

It has been the only thing that has produced immediate results. I noted a few dead in the base of my clothes locker minutes after I started.
Old 16-07-2016, 09:46   #38

Boat: First 41s5

Cap Erict3 I understand very well what you are suffering because it happened to me too and I had to struggle for 5 months to get rid of them ! I think that I got these bedbugs in Trinidad begining of december last year. I felt the first bites end of december. It took me 2 or 3 weeks, with the help of internet, to realize that it was not mosquitos that were biting me but bed bugs. After I tried to sleep outside on the deck, but after a few days they found me and the bites started again ...

So I decided to take off the mattresses in one of the cabin and put a metal camp cot in it. Under the legs of the cot I laid saucers with some glue for rats in them and I put the same glue on the legs. With that I avoided to be bitten by these damned animals. Once a week I used insecticides for bed bugs all around the camp cot in the cabin and all around the place were I usually sit.

With that strategy I got rid of the bed bugs. I left my sailing boat for 6 months in a country near the equator, where it's very hot, and when I will come back I hope that I will never see again any bed bug !
pat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 10:12   #39

Be careful with those bombs ! before going on vacation for a couple weeks I bombed my house with many more than were called for, opened all doors cabinets water heater closet etc. .After returning home everything was sticky and had to be cleaned BUT no bugs
Upon returning to work a coworker asked if I heard about the house that was blown up by the dumb person that set too many bombs off!!! GULP never read the can before sure enough
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2016, 10:31   #40

I seems as if the steamer is doing its job. The population dropped dramatically after the initial couple of treatments. I am still seeing a few hatchlings and steam the sheets, mattress and area around the aft bunk regularly.

From my reading it seems plain that many more people will be fighting this battle. Don't wish it on anyone.
Old 16-07-2016, 18:35   #41

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
I seems as if the steamer is doing its job. The population dropped dramatically after the initial couple of treatments. I am still seeing a few hatchlings and steam the sheets, mattress and area around the aft bunk regularly.

From my reading it seems plain that many more people will be fighting this battle. Don't wish it on anyone.
Thank you very much for posting that your approach is working. What a nasty problem to have to cope with!

Ann
Old 16-07-2016, 19:08   #42

The worst thing is that I had to sleep among them as bait to keep the colony together. Seeing them as crawling mosquitos whose sting is painless helps.

Nowadays, if something moves a hair on my my leg, I am up like a rabid bug killing machine. I am up at 3 am, their favorite feeding time, making a pass with the steamer before firing up the coffee pot and feeding the 5am cat.

I used 20 Mule Team Borax a while back on a flea infestation but tried diatomaceous earth on this. I have seen little effect and find it bothers my sinuses. Plan to spread some Borax once satisfied.
Old 17-07-2016, 11:04   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Rather than the 20 Muleteam Borax, you can go to a pharmacy and buy straight Boric Acid if you can't find it elsewhere. It does simply dry out the bugs (that's the theory of operation) and only remains effective as long as the boric acid itself is dry. In high humidity, it will have diminishing returns.

CO poison: Several years ago in Port Townsend at a boat show I sat through a lecture on cruising by a world circumnavigator, Nancy Erley, and she discussed getting rid of bugs the easy way--close up the boat, stick a Honda EU2000 or similar portable gas generator inside the closed up boat with enough fuel to run several hours. Let it run until it is out of fuel. Leave the boat closed up for as many hours as possible (8-12 seemed the minimum but I don't really recall the exact number) and then open up the hatches, let it air out before going in. You'll kill roaches and all sorts of bugs with the CO poisoning. I haven't tried it, but I do trust that someone like Nancy wouldn't include this tip for cruisers in her lecture if it didn't work.

Best of luck!
Old 17-07-2016, 13:59   #44

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I've heard of the CO (carbon monoxide) poisoning gambit. When used for rats, they often die somewhere where they are difficult to locate, for a while. (Sorry, guys.) The attendant odors can be a problem.

Ann
Old 17-07-2016, 16:12   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

I thought we were talking about bugs not rodents ? 😶

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
captain