Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2016, 17:58   #46

Re: Captain, we have stowaways!

Even with a modern 4 stroke engine, I would not want to fill my boat with the gases, particulate matter etc that is in the exhaust of an internal combustion engine. If you have ever been in a boat that has had a bad exhaust leak into the interior, the smell lasts lots longer than the CO2. I dont want to be sleeping on pillows, bedding etc that have all of the other exhaust crap on the surface or soaked in. The CO2 will disappear with an airing, but the rest of the pollution will remain for too long. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 10:40   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Agree the smell of a diesel leak is pretty awful. Not so sure about a small gas engine--I'm one of those people who recalls the days of enjoying the smell of leaded gas.. LOL.
Old 18-07-2016, 11:44   #48

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Good Afternoon all,
We were ashore for a year taking care of our elderly mother with the boat tied to up to an old dock in St. Thomas. When we came back aboard, we had roaches. Sprays, baits, same ol story that I'm reading on the thread. Then I started using Boric acid, and still had no success. Then I read an article that made sense to me in that I was using the Boric acid wrong. Here is what I did, and it worked well for me. You may not have thought about what you are about to read, but if you have roaches on your boat, you should read and learn..
1. The baits you make with Boric acid and penut butter, coco, sugar and such are useless. Don't waste your time.
2. When putting down Boric Acid, you want a very light coating and not hills or mountains of the stuff. The Roaches will just avoid it. BTW, Roaches are not stupid, and will learn quickly that this white powder kills them and will avoid it. You want to put out fine (puffs of smoke) on the floors and areas. Using too much is usually why Boric Acid didn't work for you.
3. Learn where the Roaches feed and Feed them!! You heard right. FEED THEM. Boric acid of course.. We have a basket for Toilet paper next to the head. This is a gourmet food to roaches. Puffing B/A into the basket every night before you go to bed will kill all that get this food source. Another area needing nightly puffing of B/A is the trash bag or trash basket.
4. Make REAL BAITS, and set traps. What do they eat? Sugars and sweet stuff?? BULL.. One of their favorite foods is bread. In a bag that they can sneak into is even better. Cover the bread with Boric acid, and watch as they take poison home to the rest of the crowd. Meat blood from the store packaging. Including the kotex thing in the Styrofoam too. Set it out in an open area and dust around it and on the edges of it with B/A. A trap! Same thing goes with doritos, or other chips. They love em. Open the bag, dust with B/A, shake the bag, and leave it our for them to feast on. We all know Roaches love cardboard. So next time you buy a pizza, dust the inside of the box and the crust left inside and leave it out over night.

Always pick up your food sources and traps in the morning or they will get wise to you. Change up your food sources and traps, and be creative. One of the Cockroaches favorite things to get food from is your kitchen sink, sponges, and dish-washing towels. Make sure you have a couple of stinky nasty ones in a plastic container that you can leave out for them and make sure to pick up and store the ones you use in a clean plastic container with a lid. Of course dust the icky ones with B/A.

Boric Acid works well at killing roches if it's used correctly. BTW, they do eat it and all you need is one spec on their legs so when they go back and are preening each other as they do, they eat it and the sharp little spec of boric acid that they ate kills them.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain