Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 02:44   #1

Boat: Manta 42
Car Free/Care Free Living

Although we have lived aboard on and off for years it is just recently that we are doing so without a car stashed somewhere and we are loving it. As we returned to the states for hurricane season or flew home to visit, our car was always in the wrong port, needed to be services, once full of mice when we stored it in a barn. Now we have a couple of folding bikes and we are having the most pleasant summer w/ six less cylinders in our lives! Also a significant savings on owning a car.

If we need one we rent for a day or two and are so happy when the attendant drops us off after doing so, back to our slow pace.

One less car, Rich
bahamarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:47   #2

Boat: Pearson Invicta 38"
Re: Car Free/Care Free Living

Things really do just keep getting easier and simpler! And look how environmentally friendly you are as well as the forced exercise you are both getting, kudos to you!
tflana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:05   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

havent had a car for 3 years, now---still being hassled by insurance co for renewal despite my advising them i havent a car--lol---they cannot understand that....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:18   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

when cruizin i have 2 mountain bikes on the aft deck,great for getting around especially if marina hopping
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:23   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

one of the issues we found with not having a car,then needing a car again was that after a few years you can lose your no claims bonus,resulting in significantly higher insurance premiums,though this may be more specific to europe,but check as you may be in for an expensive surprise if you need a car in the future
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:39   #6

We were without for 2 yrs.

When covering a lot of ground, it was more convienent with an occasional rental.

Then we wound up in the Great Lakes in the fall, so we picked up a truck and fifth wheel on the cheap (peak of the recession) as we weren't going to live on the boat over winter in Michigan.

Later back on the boat we slowed down and would stop for 2-4 weeks at a time after covering a few hundred miles. We got in the habit of hop skotching the truck along with us. We still drive far less than when we commuted 30 miles each day in opposite directions as dirt dwellers.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:47   #7

Boat: Catalina 310

I sold one of our two cars on Monday. I will still need the one for the next two years (a little less now) to get to work. But it is still nice saving the money on the one. Can't wait until the other goes.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:34   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Never had one, never wanted. Yes, I can clearly see the benefits of being able to use one. But why own?

Carless,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:53   #9

Sans car - 18 years. Don't miss having a car a bit. Usually when assistance is needed obtaining diesel or transporting new chain, good folks are available to lend a hand. Don't think I've ever arrived somewhere on the boat without someone saying "If you need a lift somewhere or getting something you need let me know."

Have one light weight road bicycle now, but have carried another mountain bike for places with rough roads or if I needed transportation available at two different anchorages.

No car insurance, registration and licensing expenses.

Love it.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 13:46   #10
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Lots of new wrinkles making it ever easier to live without a car. Many cities adding shared ride, take-and-leave bicycles and much more Never hurts to ask at marinas if they have a loaner car. Usually a junker but enough to haul groceries. Keep googling for offbeat rides depending on the city
Old 08-08-2013, 14:25   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

Countries and their inhabitants vary WILDLY in developing relevant infrastructure and mental set. In Sweden I could walk, or bike, to nearly any location - in perfect safety. Do not try this in Spain, or NZ, though!

Funnily, when you ask such a local "how far is it to X", you will hear a relevant response, except in Sweden they will express things in walking time while in Spain in driving time.

Newcomer beware!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 15:19   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We haven't owned a car since the last time I had to drive to work in the spring of 2002. Like "bahamarich" we rent a car on ocassion, but we mainly rely on our dinghy and folding bikes. For USA car rentals, during our first years without a car, we we declining the rental company's expensive coverage and using the coverage that is available on our Visa card. We noticed that we were at some risk because the Visa coverage doesn't include liability so we crunched the numbers and found that if we were going to rent a car for ten or more days a year; it would save us money to buy a non-owners liability policy. If you expect to rent fewer than 10 days a year (USA) then the economic choice would be to take the rental company's insurance. We were able to buy non-ower's liability from our insurance agent that we kept our car policies with for 30 years and he was willing to write the policy. You may need to shop long and hard to find such a policy. Anyway, no car adds much to the other freedoms that come with non-ownership!
Old 10-08-2013, 13:52   #13

Boat: Albin Vega 27' Gemini Dreams

Almost 3 years without a car.

Went from spending $15,000 a year for a used BMW convertible including ins., taxes, repairs, tires, fuel etc. I put around 25k a year on it.

to less than $1,500 the first year for bus, rentals and fuel.

this year will be around $800

Take the insurance from the car company. If you trash the car with their coverage all is good. If you trash the car with yours you must cough up a minimum of $500 until they deal with your insurance. Even for a chip in the windshield!

W
Old 10-08-2013, 14:33   #14

Boat: Manta 42
That's what I'm talkin' about. Less money and less hassles for the same life. Rich
bahamarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 16:05   #15

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
And...travel by car is no longer inexpensive...this season we drove back to Pamama from Guate...great trip, but holy gas bill Batman! Between fuel, lodging, meals, border expenses/hassles, repairs....we could have chartered a private jet!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote