Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2020, 07:57   #1

Ceramic Burner cooktop

I was looking at 2 burner propane cooktops the other day for a project (non-marine), and discovered a ceramic burner cooktop. These burners appear to "glow" orange like a Buddy heater rather than having an actual blue flame. I've been using catalytic wall heaters for many years, and love the radiant heat that emanates from their ceramic plates that glow orange with no actual "flame". Like sitting in front of a campfire. Anybody have one of these? I think they'd be nice on a boat.

I really like the idea of burners like this on a cooktop. Here's an Ebay link:
Ceramic burner cooktop

I'm in the process of building an indoor vertical barbecue from a Buddy heater. The heater is being dismantled down to bare minimum. It will be mounted on a section of concrete countertop vertically. The steak, burger, or chop will be pinched between two halves of a wire grill on a base that allows the meat to stand on edge so it cooks entirely from radiant heat, and zero contact. The grease will run onto a damp paper towel below on the countertop. This is much like the Greek Gyros meat is cooked. I already have one I built using an electric burner, and it works wonderfully. There is virtually zero cleanup. Wipe the countertop after throwing the paper towel away, give the grill a quick scrub in dishwater. It does help that I sous vide cook virtually all meat, so I use the grill ONLY for browning, but I cooked many steaks this way before I got sous vide (several years ago). I rarely use my barbecue anymore.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote