Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2015, 06:01   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahé 36
Cheap Marina in FL/GA/SC?

Hi there,

my girlfriend Cati and I sailed across the atlantic ocean on our 33 ft Contest "Maverick too". We are currently on our way to the Bahamas and will be in the USA around end of june.

We plan to spend the summer there. Since I last sailed there in my first "Maverick" (27 ft, in 2006) I wanted to come back and see some more of the country. As I am a travelling editor of german YACHT-Magazine I also have to do some jobs along the Eastcoast.

So we would love to find a neat place in FL, GA or SC. A slip with friendly people, where we could stay for two to three month, live on our boat. Meet the locals, learn about their lives, have fun :-)

From time to time I have to travel a bit, then again I will sit behind my laptop for a week to write a new article. So it would be nice if there is a coffeeshop around that I could use as my office. Living with two people on 33 ft and working at the same time proved to be difficult at times, during the last 7000 miles … ;-)

I do have a regular income, but it is not enough to spend every night of the week in a regular Marina. In 2006 it was 50 Dollars per night and I bet it will be even more by now. So if anyone knows a good and affordable place to stay, I would be very thankful for a message!

All the best,

Johannes

Our blog: www.zu-zweit-auf-see.de | Schon wieder ein WordPress-Blog
maverick2911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 19:38   #2

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Re: Cheap Marina in FL/GA/SC?

You might advertise on craigslist for rental of a private dock at someone's house. I did that on the Miami river and you probably could find for a few hundred per month or less

Why can't things remain where i carelessly left them?
Old 20-05-2015, 21:01   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

North Florida or south Georgia rates are much lower than $50/night.

I think Brunswick Landing is USD$12 per foot per month so about $400/month for your boat. Slips on the St Johns River in Florida even cheaper. Reynolds Park Marina in Green Cove Springs is $10 per foot per month for liveaboards. Electricity $70/month for liveaboards.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 06:30   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 50 Ketch

Hi, Chadwick Cove Marina in Englewood Fl. Small almost all liveaboards, secluded and walking distance to everything needed. Rates are around 8 to 9 a foot with no fees for electricity, pump out (at each doc), and satellite. It has three private bathrooms a community kitchen, BBQ's, and decks for dining. There is a monthly set fee for liveaboards.
pbbmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 07:26   #5

Boat: Hunter 33.5

Look for ," THe Waterfront News" a Ft.Lauderdale publication which has dock listings.................
tdh1849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 07:57   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdh1849 View Post
Look for ," THe Waterfront News" a Ft.Lauderdale publication which has dock listings.................
Try "Waterfront Times"

Print Classifieds | Waterfront Times

Be sure to stop by St Augustine and say Hello....
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 08:27   #7

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

Fleming Island Marina, Orange Park, FL, on the St. Johns River. Less than $10/ft, $35/mo for electricity. Nice showers and great pool. Floating and fixed docks. Several live aboards there now.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 08:49   #8

Boat: OPB (Other Peoples Boats)
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

This is also very helpful for others of us "shopping around". I have a recommendation at the head of Pemlico Sound/River (in Washington, NC, that's North Carolina), but I'm quoted $150/mo for my (or soon to be my) 25', so that works out to $6/ft/mo if the math holds for other sizes (let me know if you want contact info). Can't speak to the amenities and if shopping trips require taxi etc. since I'm not yet arrived there. But I'll be there soon, outfitting for a while.
So it seems like it would be great to have an on-line, comprehensive reference (perhaps such already exists?) that lists places where one can put in for a month or more, and know prices and amenities ahead of time. I know the cruisers guides provides lots of information of where one can put in, but I don't know if they capture the costs per month level of detail, or can manage to be current enough, with changes of ownership, rates or other factors. Plus the convenience of an on-line reference (WiFi or Sat Comm willing)
It would seem hard to keep a printed book up to date - so the convenience of a web based, indexed listing (sort by location, price, repair skills) might be appreciated. We sure would have enough contributors to make it work.
First, anyone have comments on if this sort of compendium already exists, for a wider geography than just one state? Don't want to attempt to duplicate something that's already there.
softgoodsint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 09:30   #9

Boat: Looking!

Find Elizabeth City North Carolina on the Elizabeth river. Just north of there is Camden nc and lady lamb's marina. Google him for phone and directions. Motherboards are welcome. Nice little country restaurant across street, great guest shower and lounge (your office) country store in station, free loaner pickup truckl if you need transport (just replace the gas) and glue lowest rates for a slip on the east coast. Come out of marina and turn right or north and you enter the dismal swamp. (Originally surveyed by George Washington) Change comes slow to the area and history runs deep everywhere. Dismal swamp canal is a breathtaking trip that ends up in Norfolk va and navy yard. Tell Larry his Arizona friend sent you and said Hi!
Al
avoisine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 10:19   #10

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

Three really good marinas on the ICW in central Florida. Westland has awesome storm protection and is a DIY boatyard as well. The Titusville city marina next door has rates much less than $50/night and you can anchor up or tie up to mooring balls right outside the harbor every couple of nights to save even more. South on the ICW about 4 miles is Kennedy Point. They have a really nice pool and boaters lounge along with very fair rates. All three marinas are very friendly, close to shopping and entertainment and good rates. This area is world famous for red fish fishing.

Feel free to send me a personal message and I'll contact my friends and make sure you are set up.

Jeff
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 10:29   #11

Boat: Looking!

sorry, I wrote liveaboards in my previous message and s I sent message my computer corrected it to "motherboards". Brunswick landing is very expensive, and there is no transportation other than taxicabs. no services on site that I remember and restaurants are a fair walk. Also, fl/ga/ and SC will be starting hurricane season in about two months or so. Insurance companies go nuts if you are in a 'named storm" area in the threat period!
VA is not considered a hurricane area although I don't know why, and Lamb's is 5 or so miles south of VA line and well sheltered. Email me if I can be of further help. Welcome to United States.
Al
avoisine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 14:50   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
North Florida or south Georgia rates are much lower than $50/night.

I think Brunswick Landing is USD$12 per foot per month so about $400/month for your boat. Slips on the St Johns River in Florida even cheaper. Reynolds Park Marina in Green Cove Springs is $10 per foot per month for liveaboards. Electricity $70/month for liveaboards.
You are right, BLM is $12 per foot. Electricity is metered and there is free water, Wifi and laundry. They have a clubhouse where people gather for happy hour three times per week. They also host parties on all major holidays like July 4th, Memorial Day. Call in advance they are pretty booked in the summertime.
ebs001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 20:06   #13

Boat: Rhodes Pearson 41 sloop

ActiveCaptain.com has a pretty comprehensive map of marinas with all pertinent date, including price as well as reviews. A handy resource to have.
jessehunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap