Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2021, 07:15   #1

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Cleaning Marine Vinyl

Opinions on the best method to clean white marine vinyl.
Especially the sewn areas in which the thread looks black.
Lastly, for the inside helm chair, any experience with real sheepskin or alternative covers.
As always, sincere thanks for replies.
Captain Mark ...who is clearly loosing the cleanup battle with the manatee crew pizza parties.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 07:28   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Cleaning Marine Vinyl

No distinction between “marine vinyl” and vinyl except maybe the price charged. We’ve always used either Rolloff or Awesome cleaner with no problem.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 08:17   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Hey, Manateeman - is there anywhere to contribute to efforts to protect your favorite blubber butts? Word is they are starving this year.
Old 16-09-2021, 09:24   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Opinions on the best method to clean white marine vinyl.
Especially the sewn areas in which the thread looks black.
Lastly, for the inside helm chair, any experience with real sheepskin or alternative covers.
As always, sincere thanks for replies.
Captain Mark ...who is clearly loosing the cleanup battle with the manatee crew pizza parties.
Sheepskin and white vinyl , you’ll be mounting a disco ball next
Old 16-09-2021, 09:35   #5

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Manatees. It’s so sad I didn’t want to post about it. A lot of very good people are working on the problem but there is no low cost solution. You can send Save The Manatee a few dollars and you can send an email to your Congressional representative.
Most Floridians love the manatees, will help with speed zones etc. but everything required to reduce the excess nitrogen is costly. Slow release fertilizer is just more expensive and sewage treatment updates are expensive as well. The current systems are old and ineffective. It’s all about money.
I’ve written in the past how research of the immune system of manatees led to the development of the papilloma vaccine. I think is pretty evident that when one mammal species begins to fail, it’s a clue, we might be doing more harm to ourselves than we realize.
Thank you for your kind thoughts.
Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 17:55   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We have a now 21 yr. old sheepskin from NZ. It is hand washable in something like Woolite, or lauryl sulfate (can get from feed stores, used for washing horses and cattle, for shows), dry in shade. Can use hair conditioner, to help with fluffing it with a hair pick. However, it has not been used in the cockpit.

For cleaning the stitching in the seams, I use a toothbrush and a detergent solution, blotting with paper towels to help lift off the dirt. You can use car convertible top conditioner on the vinyl. If you do it every 3 months, it will help the vinyl last longer, or at least, so we were told by the guy who made our soft dodger.

Just speaking for myself, I'd rather cover with sunbrella, and wash as needed, because with the sheepskin, if you have to dry it in the shade, then how is it going to hold up in the sun? Fit carefully, and use zippers that are washable. The acrylic fabric cleans well in a washing machine, and you have to use waterless handcleaner on oil or grease borne stains. My sunbrella cockpit cushions are about 15 yrs. old, and chafe has not been a problem with their use. I made mine two sided, white for hot areas, so bare feet don't burn walking on it, (which has got some staining over the years) and dark red (which has also got some staining).

Good luck with your projects.

Ann

PS. If you go to re-upholster the seats with vinyl, make sure they do the sewing with ptfe thread (Tenara is one brand name for it), it will last the life of the seats, plus it is easier to clean because it does not absorb stain. The thread comes in white, black and clear.

A

Tags
cleaning, marine