Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2012, 14:35   #1

Cloth storage boxes horror stories please!

The time has come to get more storage boxes and I'm starting to lean over to the dark side - cloth storage boxes.

Four years ago, when I did the original storage org, I wisely chose plastic for storage boxes because

1. They don't get wet.
2. They can be tightly closed.
3. They're see-through, so you can always see what's inside (in addition to labels on the outside).

But now, as I'm looking through the stores, there are some really pretty and nicely tactile cloth storage boxes on sale and I'm having a very hard time justifying very functional, but oh-so-boring clear plastic ones. I know that cloth brings problems with it: wetness, good spot for bugs to nest, etc. But it would help if I heard some horror stories of using cloth on board. Anyone? Please?
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 14:47   #2

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Cloth storage boxes horror stories please!

I don't know what type of cloth your speaking of, but we used Cotton Canvas bags and boxs for a lot of years before the current crop of plastic became available in the great containers styles they have now ! altho we never had any Gross problems with the canvas ones we used, the clear plastic boxs are Far superior!! at least Connie thinks so!! she likes the fact ya can keep em clean so easy! ya dont need to take em ashore to wash them ya can do it by hand aboard ! ect ect We still have some of our canvas tote bags we will probly keep them till they wear out completly!! They are so handy for packing goods from shore ! easier on the inflatable dink and so on and so on! LOL so I guess we are sayin both are good in there place ! OK ?
Old 18-05-2012, 13:39   #3

Thanks! Cloth storage, here I come!
Old 18-05-2012, 14:23   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
Thanks! Cloth storage, here I come!
Wait! All's good with the cloth storage bags unless they are stowed against the hull where you have condensation. Location makes a huge difference on our boat, as well as the season and the temperature of the water where we are cruising. We have some lockers where we can store cloth and others where it just doesn't work,- damp, moldy, stains... I think most of us know where we can put a salt shaker on board and still have a whole lot of shaking going on! Some places for us do well if we just keep a lattice barrier against the hull so the fabrics have a little vented space.
Old 18-05-2012, 16:54   #5

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

I like the soft plastic zippered bags quilt sets come in, plus they can often be picked up at the thrift stores for less than a dollar. They are squishy and fit in those not quite square spots (we have lots of those) and if water happens, the contents generally are okay.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 10:24   #6
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

I never had success with the plastic bags that are drawn down with a vacuum cleaner. Eventually they always plump back up again. I have some canvas bags that develop atmospheric stains. The good thing is that they bleach clean again. Look into a new type garment bag called Green Garmento. It breathes, hangs up like a clothing bag with hanger, or can be zipped up and slung over the shoulder.
Old 22-05-2012, 10:35   #7
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Be wary of the cloth covered boxes. Many of them have a heavy cardboardy inside for structure. And that board can absorb moisture... If they are plastic walls inside the cloth it would be better. I have passed on a bunch of fabric ones with papery insides.

We have some from Ikea that came folded down and are corrugated plastic for the inside structure. Nice bright nylon fabric and mesh for the outside. Been using them aboard for maybe 2 years now. They have worked well!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 11:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
I never had success with the plastic bags that are drawn down with a vacuum cleaner. Eventually they always plump back up again. I have some canvas bags that develop atmospheric stains. The good thing is that they bleach clean again. Look into a new type garment bag called Green Garmento. It breathes, hangs up like a clothing bag with hanger, or can be zipped up and slung over the shoulder.
The trick with vacuum bags is to tie them with, for example, sail bag ties. Or stack them in places where they can't expand after. Also, make sure that the seal is closed tightly: after vacuuming, you can listen along the entire length of the seal for tiny air holes - close them tightly and re-vacuum.
Old 22-05-2012, 11:57   #9

The best storage medium I've found for clothes, cushions, towels, etc, is LARGE(2'x2') THICK ziplock bags. Use a vacuum source to suck them down. Now they are SMALL and best yet NO AIR...You can throw them overboard and use them as flotation devices!!! I cover them with a pillow case and use them as seat cushions..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage