Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2011, 07:51   #16

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Re: Cockpit Enclosure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepitts View Post
Randy that is really some great information. It definintely sounds like I will go with the O'sea Clear for the windows after hearing your story. The price to enclose the cockpit will no doubt be high but from what I am hearing will be well worth the high cost. I really enjoy spending time up in the cockpit but seem to get run down below often due to cold weather lately.
Something I've done on a few boats to cut the cost for the customer..
install the dodger and bimini with a fly between the two and on the bimini and fly, I install zippers, then on the pannels they they are NOT attached on the sides and on the bottom.. in the bottom I install a weighted piece the length of the pannel.. ( I do this by sewing up a sort of sock the width of the pannel out of vinyl with the tube, about the size of your thumb and then I fill it with sand and sew the end closed, sew this to the bottom of the pannel) I also install gromets up the sides about a foot apart.. the pannel is made to "OVERLAP" the next pannel... this way, it provides inclosure, is closed in at the top, looks good, and can be moved out of the way fast to get in or out or the get to the winches...
This is the same way we make most all our screened in cockpits.. So you zip in the top and throw the bottom out over the lifeline.. theres no need to fit the contours of the side of the boat..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 08:15   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

am thinking about ditching the ss idea and using ipe, as that ironwood is less expensive than ss here..... andmaking two biminis, as the summer is HOT and winter isnt too bad--i dont get seas coming over the bow--dont wanna sail in that kind of bad weather--already did winds up to 75 kts-- wont do worse by choice....so a bimini is a good solution for me..the isinglass stuff gets too hot in tropix..i do have screening material for use as a cover if i need it while at anchor to keep down the sun intrusion and heat to a minimum....will use biminis as solar panel holders.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 09:05   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

My side and stern panels are always rolled up during the day when I'm on the boat. In winter I drop them at night because it reduces draft at the companionway. About half of the panels are clear but I don't see much advantage there, for me, since I don't operate the boat when they're down. I do have a pilothouse but even if I didn't I don't think I'd feel comfortable with them down while underway. Mosquitoes aren't an issue around here so maybe that's a factor too. On the other hand I never remove the bimini even on the most beautiful of days. It gives a break from the UV.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 14:12   #19

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

All this sounds as if, no matter what quality your willing to spend for, you would want an inclosed cockpit at the dock or on the hook.
Old 26-09-2011, 14:44   #20

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Something I've done on a few boats to cut the cost for the customer..
install the dodger and bimini with a fly between the two and on the bimini and fly, I install zippers, then on the pannels they they are NOT attached on the sides and on the bottom.. in the bottom I install a weighted piece the length of the pannel.. ( I do this by sewing up a sort of sock the width of the pannel out of vinyl with the tube, about the size of your thumb and then I fill it with sand and sew the end closed, sew this to the bottom of the pannel) I also install gromets up the sides about a foot apart.. the pannel is made to "OVERLAP" the next pannel... this way, it provides inclosure, is closed in at the top, looks good, and can be moved out of the way fast to get in or out or the get to the winches...
This is the same way we make most all our screened in cockpits.. So you zip in the top and throw the bottom out over the lifeline.. theres no need to fit the contours of the side of the boat..

Prehaps velcro might work better than sand pockets, quick to sew on and cutains would likely store better too!
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 15:27   #21

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
All this sounds as if, no matter what quality your willing to spend for, you would want an inclosed cockpit at the dock or on the hook.
From what I see the more canvas the more motoring and less sailing. YMMV.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 15:38   #22

Boat: CT54

More canvas also means more comfort when spending time outside in the cockpit which means less time hiding in the cave down below
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 16:26   #23

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post

Too easy to generalise and not necessarily true!

I do think it goes without saying that cruisers spend far more time at anchor and in slips than actual sailing ( and motoring) and like a comfortable cockpit to enjoy in all weathers. I know I do!

"It's all about enjoyment and not endurance"! You can quote me too!
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 16:41   #24

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Did I mention having it up while sailing?
Old 26-09-2011, 16:41   #25
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
While there are notable exceptions to this rule, I've certainly noticed a similar pattern.

I once crewed a week-long passage on a center-cockpit Tayana 48 with a full enclosure. I found it quite difficult to sail the boat properly when I couldn't feel the wind. The enclosure compromised night vision significantly, and made us less aware of the sea life around us.

We were doing couple watches, four hours on/four hours off. Wonderblond and I would spend the first twenty minutes of our watch taking the sides off the enclosure, and the owners would spend the first half hour of their watch putting them back on. This went on around the clock for five days.

I'll take a good set of foulies any day. I'm fine with a spray dodger, and a bimini if it's hot, but beyond that it seems to me that sailing is best enjoyed as an outdoor sport.
Old 26-09-2011, 17:02   #26

Boat: CT54

Plan to put a eisenglass window on the bimini top to allow us to see the the shape of the sails. We will have a cover for the window for when we are at anchor/dock to protect the glass. I personally would prefer not to be wet during night watch but have done it many times. Life is full of trade offs
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 06:43   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Among the enclosure stategies posted above there seem to be numerous different purposes. We are not cruising in latitudes during seasons that cause us to enclose for warmth, so we have no purpose for a "full" enclosure. We protect ourselves and adjust our enclosure for three purposes,- sun, spray and rain. I've known several long term liveaboard cruisers, like ourselves, who are battling skin damage and skin cancer. We don't bask or bake! We have more than enough sun while keeping out of it as much as possible. The full bimini serves us well. We have Sunbrella "side curtains/splash guards" with a large clear view port at their center. If we are taking spray from the bow, the forward edge is attached and the aft is out to the rail. With rain or wind abaft, the leading edge of the side curtain is out. We don't keep an aft curtain except when taking rain or sun in at the helm and then we have a clip on Sunbrella panel. I have yet to see other cruisers incorporate a splash guard into their side curtain, but it works very well for us. None of our sheets or visibility is impaired.
Old 27-09-2011, 07:20   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
While there are notable exceptions to this rule, I've certainly noticed a similar pattern.

I once crewed a week-long passage on a center-cockpit Tayana 48 with a full enclosure. I found it quite difficult to sail the boat properly when I couldn't feel the wind. The enclosure compromised night vision significantly, and made us less aware of the sea life around us.

We were doing couple watches, four hours on/four hours off. Wonderblond and I would spend the first twenty minutes of our watch taking the sides off the enclosure, and the owners would spend the first half hour of their watch putting them back on. This went on around the clock for five days.

I'll take a good set of foulies any day. I'm fine with a spray dodger, and a bimini if it's hot, but beyond that it seems to me that sailing is best enjoyed as an outdoor sport.
Bash:

I agree. I'm in the process of finishing up my solar bimini and do like the protection from sun and rain it affords overhead and keeps the cockpit pretty dry. But, I think a full enclosure while sailing can cacoon you from what the weather is doing when underway. IMO it's like removing some of your senses. At anchor they are fine though. I will probably add roll up sides and forward glass panels to my installation but, I don't see it as a priority and would not use the sides especially when underway.
Old 27-09-2011, 07:37   #29
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Bash:

I agree. I'm in the process of finishing up my solar bimini and do like the protection from sun and rain it affords overhead and keeps the cockpit pretty dry. But, I think a full enclosure while sailing can cacoon you from what the weather is doing when underway. IMO it's like removing some of your senses. At anchor they are fine though. I will probably add roll up sides and forward glass panels to my installation but, I don't see it as a priority and would not use the sides especially when underway.
We put a solar bimini up a couple years ago, and love it. It took some getting used to, having a restricted vision of the main, but I've grown to love it. On our boat, the skin cancer thing is a huge consideration.

If only we could figure out how to rig rain gutters on the bimini!
Old 27-09-2011, 07:42   #30

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamel View Post
"It's all about enjoyment and not endurance"! You can quote me too!
I agree with you on that sentiment - my similar thought is that "it's sailing, not camping." Still, it isn't sailing if you aren't sailing and I see a lot of motoring by boats with full enclosures, more than those with more open cockpits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
+1
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit, paracelle