Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2018, 06:26   #166

Composting toilet: rules, regulations, and "real life" use etc.?

Two “kids”. HS and college age. Yes it is vented.

I think there is way too much paper in there. I was going to try to let the paper go in, but I guess not. Maybe with one or two people using it paper in there would be ok.

But there is no smell!
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:48   #167
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Composting toilet: rules, regulations, and "real life" use etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
Two “kids”. HS and college age. Yes it is vented.

I think there is way too much paper in there. I was going to try to let the paper go in, but I guess not. Maybe with one or two people using it paper in there would be ok.

But there is no smell!
are they rollers or wadders. ( with the paper)
it makes a lot of difference wadding uses well over twice possibly up to 4 times the tp .
And all that wood fibre will cause issues . Separate lined lidded container will solve that issue.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:56   #168

Boat: Mariah 31 & Triton 28

we have a small waste/trash container that we put the toilet paper in.
no smell and easy to dispose of.
somanyboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:20   #169

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
After about two weeks of heavy use (the wife and kids were on the boat) the crank has become very hard to turn. I read that putting in coffee grounds mike help, but it hasn’t. There is a lot of toilet paper in there I see! Could that be what’s clogging up the works?

I’m wondering if I need to dump it and start afresh.
You’re really saying four adults, full time, for two weeks. We average four to six weeks, two adults, full time. So four adults over two weeks adds up to about the same.

I’d say you’re done. I’d dump.

These heads are really designed for two, perhaps three people, for full time use. More that that is possible, but it will definitely shorten your cycle times. You can try adding more coir, but I’d just dump and start fresh.

With regard to TP, our feces paper goes in the toilet. My partner diverts her urine wipes to a baggie. This amount seems to be no problem (in fact, I think my partner could also dump her urine paper, but that’s her choice).

But I will say, we both use as little as possible to get the job done. Coming from a wilderness camping background, it’s just second-nature to use small amounts. I’m talking 2 to 4 squares most of the time.

So if you have crew that are using huge globs of paper, then it will certainly have an impact on how the head works.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:22   #170
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

My preference is a bum gun, bidet for you Euros.

Once used to that, TP seems so uncivilized.

But a big challenge for this context.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:29   #171
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
My preference is a bum gun, bidet for you Euros.

Once used to that, TP seems so uncivilized.

But a big challenge for this context.
But a butt washer uses so much water and where would that water go ? Not a valid option for composters ( IMO). Personally I use baby wipes. Buy them by the case one each time I poo ( get the ones with aloe in them ( helps stop monkey butt to)
Long distance sailors know what I mean to)
They go into the trash can. No stink.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:42   #172
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
But a butt washer uses so much water and where would that water go ? Not a valid option for composters ( IMO)
As I said, a big challenge.

But certainly valid, if someone wants to take it on, not rocket science, in some contexts might even be practical.

Sea water would be fine for me.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:54   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
You’re really saying four adults, full time, for two weeks. We average four to six weeks, two adults, full time. So four adults over two weeks adds up to about the same.

I’d say you’re done. I’d dump.

These heads are really designed for two, perhaps three people, for full time use. More that that is possible, but it will definitely shorten your cycle times. You can try adding more coir, but I’d just dump and start fresh.

With regard to TP, our feces paper goes in the toilet. My partner diverts her urine wipes to a baggie. This amount seems to be no problem (in fact, I think my partner could also dump her urine paper, but that’s her choice).

But I will say, we both use as little as possible to get the job done. Coming from a wilderness camping background, it’s just second-nature to use small amounts. I’m talking 2 to 4 squares most of the time.

So if you have crew that are using huge globs of paper, then it will certainly have an impact on how the head works.

Thanks. I will go ahead and dump.

I often leave the boat for a month at a time. Will it be OK to leave compost alone that long with no cranking? Does the compost need to be cranked often? Or, if I know I won’t be back for a month or so should I just dump and leave empty?
Old 09-06-2018, 13:01   #174

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:

I often leave the boat for a month at a time. Will it be OK to leave compost alone that long with no cranking? Does the compost need to be cranked often? Or, if I know I won’t be back for a month or so should I just dump and leave empty?
No problem whatsoever. In fact, if you're going to be away for a month, don't even bother dumping. When you get back, the compost will be very dry and ready to go again.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 13:28   #175

Quote:

You could dump before you go, but it should be fine to leave it. Give it a good churn before you leave, and keep the vent running. When you get back it should be well on its way to full compost. You’ll likely want to dump it soon after you get back, but it will be really nice at that point.

One cautionary bit of experience though; One time when I left the boat for a long time (could have been a month or more) I came back to a big fly infestation. Turns out my vent fan had stopped working. My conclusion was that the pile actually got so dry that it created enough fine dust which then clogged and stopped the vent fan.
Old 09-06-2018, 13:31   #176

I think I’m gonna dump. We had some fruit onboard for this trip and I saw a couple of fruit flies around. I don’t want a fly infestation.

Plus, I need to learn how to do the dump process anyway.
Old 09-06-2018, 14:23   #177

Well, the dump process was very easy. I bought some biodegrading kitchen size trash bags. Stretched one over the opening, and flipped it. Only a slight musty smell.

I think maybe I put too much compost in initially. It was quite a bit over half way full when I dumped it. Is it possible the coir expended more with use? Maybe I should start out with less than half of the toilet container.
Old 09-06-2018, 14:50   #178
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

I would dump. Had a friend who left his for over 2 months after their cruise. When they came back to the boat it had dried to the consistency of concrete! Hard to clean out but could be climate dependent.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 16:13   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
You could dump before you go, but it should be fine to leave it. Give it a good churn before you leave, and keep the vent running. When you get back it should be well on its way to full compost. You’ll likely want to dump it soon after you get back, but it will be really nice at that point.

One cautionary bit of experience though; One time when I left the boat for a long time (could have been a month or more) I came back to a big fly infestation. Turns out my vent fan had stopped working. My conclusion was that the pile actually got so dry that it created enough fine dust which then clogged and stopped the vent fan.

What's the trick for the flies? Did I read about some kind of pest strip you can hang in the toilet?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 10-06-2018, 15:06   #180

Quote:
What's the trick for the flies? Did I read about some kind of pest strip you can hang in the toilet?
I suppose you could do that. The first line of defence is to make sure your vent screens are intact and in place. Then use coir, not peat. Peat seems to be much more prone to bug infections.

Maintain the right moisture level; dry is better than moist. A moist pile is the environment that bugs like.

Some people report using Diatomaceous earth in their pile to kill off bugs. I’ve never needed this, but might give it a try if bugs became an issue.

There really is an art and science to all this. After a few cycles you’ll get a good feel for how to maintain the right moisture balance.

Tags
oil, regulations, rule