Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2018, 09:00   #256

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Composting toilet: rules, regulations, and "real life" use etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Just saw this posted on the Cruisers Network mailing list. Limits on composting heads in Annapolis.
Kinda weird statements in this. Categorically wrong on many points. Nature’s Head claims to be Coast Guard Approved — it says so on their website and in their literature. And they state they ARE designed for uninterrupted use. So I don’t know where this person is getting her information.

I agree there may be an issue with dumping in trash bins, but it is far, far less of an issue than used diapers or feminine hygiene products. Unless the city also bans these items, I don’t see how they can be bothered with the partially composted, mostly dessicated, outflow from composting heads.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:06   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Kinda weird statements in this. Categorically wrong on many points. Nature’s Head claims to be Coast Guard Approved — it says so on their website and in their literature. And they state they ARE designed for uninterrupted use. So I don’t know where this person is getting her information.

I agree there may be an issue with dumping in trash bins, but it is far, far less of an issue than used diapers or feminine hygiene products. Unless the city also bans these items, I don’t see how they can be bothered with the partially composted, mostly dessicated, outflow from composting heads.

It's all about "the ick factor", and not based on fact, reason, or logic.

H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:11   #258
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Any jurisdiction can choose to ban whatever they like.

Does not need to be rational, subject to politics and PR optics.

And of course, just like singlehanded sleeping offshore, the law in theory varies greatly from practical considerations.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:12   #259

Anybody with a composting head to a two stage process? Seems logical that transferring the contents to a separate larger drum and adding some liquid (water) to continue the process for true composting would make sense..... except where would one put it? Fully and truly composted, it should be returned to nature somewhere ashore. I'm constantly amazed at what we throw away in our society. Nearly all the trash / waste stream is useful / recyclable..... resources are constantly diminishing, and yet we have barely scratched the surface as far as recycling.

H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:55   #260
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:

the USCG deals with composting heads as though they were porta potties
Therefore are type 3 msd systems.

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organiz...gineering/msd/
Type III is a device that prevents the overboard discharge of treated or untreated sewage or any waste derived from sewage. This type of device is typically a holding tank and may include other types of technology including incineration, recirculation, and composting
Old 10-09-2018, 10:57   #261
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Anybody with a composting head to a two stage process? Seems logical that transferring the contents to a separate larger drum and adding some liquid (water) to continue the process for true composting would make sense..... except where would one put it? Fully and truly composted, it should be returned to nature somewhere ashore. I'm constantly amazed at what we throw away in our society. Nearly all the trash / waste stream is useful / recyclable..... resources are constantly diminishing, and yet we have barely scratched the surface as far as recycling.

H.W.
this is quite easy all you need is a separate 5 gallon bucket with a lid to place the partially composted material in to complete the process.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:12   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
the USCG deals with composting heads as though they were porta potties
Therefore are type 3 msd systems.

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organiz...gineering/msd/
Type III is a device that prevents the overboard discharge of treated or untreated sewage or any waste derived from sewage. This type of device is typically a holding tank and may include other types of technology including incineration, recirculation, and composting
Exactly. Which is why I am confused by the missive or statement quoted by Paul. It’s pretty clear composting heads are USCG approved, in the same sense that any holding tank system is approved.

Actually, I didn’t realize a portapottie was considered a Type III MSD. It’s not in Canada. It has to do with the fixed nature of the system. A portapottie is considered to be portable, hence not a Type III in Canada.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:28   #263

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

1. You have been lied to, a composting toilet doesn't compost, the moss or whatever actually acts more as a silica gel that absorbs moisture and dries the "stuff." Composting take approximately a year and the medium (lets say moss) allows the composting to occur.
2. Water weighs 8 pounds a gallon so pee will be approximately that. A ten gallon container of pee will weight 80 + pounds (taking the container weight into account). So dumping everything into a barrel will create a very heavy barrel.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:31   #264
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
1. You have been lied to, a composting toilet doesn't compost, the moss or whatever actually acts more as a silica gel that absorbs moisture and dries the "stuff." Composting take approximately a year and the medium (lets say moss) allows the composting to occur.
2. Water weighs 8 pounds a gallon so pee will be approximately that. A ten gallon container of pee will weight 80 + pounds (taking the container weight into account). So dumping everything into a barrel will create a very heavy barrel.
actually your information is incorrect. You separate the urine from the solids . And composting does happen and you are correct it can take up to a year .
On a boat you don't have ten gallons of urine stored where do you get your numbers and information?

Mike do you think I need to post the humanure book again to dispel these myths?
Old 10-09-2018, 11:44   #265

Quote:
...Mike do you think I need to post the humanure book again to dispel these myths?
Might have to .

I’m always confused by the levels of misinformation and plain animousity this subject seems to illicit from some folks. People are fine with carrying around a toxic sewage lagoon under the floorboards, or churning and dumping raw sewage over the side. But the idea of having a bin mixed with bedding material and feces that begins the composting process seems to freak some people out … I don’t get it
Old 10-09-2018, 11:46   #266
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

The point is, no matter what USCG or other jurisdictions may allow, if that one locality wants to ban a particular type of system they are free to do so.

Right?

The four choices are:

Take your boat elsewhere

Change your head to another system that is allowed

Try to avoid getting caught

Or accept the penalties.

Trying to change the regulation is another choice, to be combined with one of the above.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:07   #267
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
The point is, no matter what USCG or other jurisdictions may allow, if that one locality wants to ban a particular type of system they are free to do so.

Right?

The four choices are:

Take your boat elsewhere

Change your head to another system that is allowed

Try to avoid getting caught

Or accept the penalties.

Trying to change the regulation is another choice, to be combined with one of the above.
I dont have a dog in this particular fight but if jt were me i would ask all crjisers to not spend any time or fundage in that particular municipality let your dollars speak for you.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:11   #268
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Might have to .

I’m always confused by the levels of misinformation and plain animousity this subject seems to illicit from some folks. People are fine with carrying around a toxic sewage lagoon under the floorboards, or churning and dumping raw sewage over the side. But the idea of having a bin mixed with bedding material and feces that begins the composting process seems to freak some people out … I don’t get it
I just don't get all the misinformation that is spewed on the internet when a bit of googling will inform so the correct info is spread.

The book on composting humanure.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...M3Svii5sxfvb3N
Old 10-09-2018, 12:27   #269

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
I dont have a dog in this particular fight but if jt were me i would ask all crjisers to not spend any time or fundage in that particular municipality let your dollars speak for you.
Not very practical for two reasons. Annapolis is the sailing capital of the Chesapeake and a cool place to visit. The percentage have of composting head boats passinb through just can't be very high.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:32   #270

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Boats with composting heads are welcome in City Waters. They may transit through, stay at private or public docks for as long as they like People with composting heads may not stay in City waters ON ANCHOR OR ON A MOORING longer than one (1) week. Composting heads are not designed for uninterrupted use, and when users dispose of the solids in our public trash cans, this creates a public health concern. Users are also tempted to dump urine overboard, in violation of state and local laws and ordinances.
This smacks of what we have been dealing with in Florida for years. Backdoor regulation of long term anchoring..............

My composting toilet does not know wether it is Maryland or the FL Keys, however, when the solids container is full you empty it. What happens if that is also the week I'm passing through...........
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, regulations, rule