Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 16:15   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
in florida you cannot leave ports open in the summer and be able to sleep at night. but you still need a dehumidifier or an air conditioner. an awning helps. no condensation.. instead we have mildew.
when i was in fla last year, we kept our ports and hatches open and had a cover and didnt have a problem with any of these---just skeeters, as his boat had no screens..LOL.....i will...when you head into wind while at anchor, life is much nicer than when you are at mercy of weather. at anchor, you USE the weather. with a good breeze--no hot , no humid, no sketers..very comfy...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 16:30   #32
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
The main reason there is more condensation in winter than summer is because the differance in temperature between the out side of the hull and the inside of the hull is greater (what might be 80% humidity in 75F air would condense on a hull that is sitting in 40F water), followed by other factors related to outside temperature. Hatches are kept closed keeping everything that produces moisture contained, breathing, burning propane flame, steam from cooking, etc.
Old 01-12-2010, 17:40   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Quote:
So your vote to prevent condensation;

1, insulation?
2, ventilation?
3, heating?
All three are a must in colder climes.

I hope your cousins appreciate being "redone".
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 21:09   #34

Boat: Northstar 1000 1972 Hull #14 30' "Firebird"
Thanks for the Hypervent suggestion!
Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 21:17   #35

[QUOTE=DeepFrz;570087]All three are a must in colder climes.

I hope your cousins appreciate being "redone".[/QUOTE

hopfully most knew what I meant to say...guess it cauld be worst.
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 23:35   #36
Eternal Member

As I have very little in the way of condensation and my hull is 1" wood followed by a 2" air space (open at top and bottom for ventilation) I would say insulation is most important, ventilation is necessary for heating to have any effect. 1 & 2
Old 02-12-2010, 07:21   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
The main reason there is more condensation in winter than summer is because the differance in temperature between the out side of the hull and the inside of the hull is greater (what might be 80% humidity in 75F air would condense on a hull that is sitting in 40F water), followed by other factors related to outside temperature. Hatches are kept closed keeping everything that produces moisture contained, breathing, burning propane flame, steam from cooking, etc.
so id be better to spray foam the hull below the water line then?
most do the oposite wich has little effects on condensation
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:59   #38

Boat: Southerly 115- Amazing Grace
One other idea for preventing moisture under the mattress, is to use a thick, natural wool fleece mattress cover. We used it for 4 years in the tropics, and even in hot climes, it helped with air flow and kept us cooler. We also had Dri-dek tiles at that time. Now we've switched to the German made Froli mattress springs, which provides the same kind of air flow, but some "cush" for the body as well. We really like them.
www.kaykoudele.blogspot.com
Kay Koudele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:58   #39

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee
As I have very little in the way of condensation and my hull is 1" wood followed by a 2" air space (open at top and bottom for ventilation) I would say insulation is most important, ventilation is necessary for heating to have any effect. 1 & 2
Just to clarify for all those wanting to live-aboard on a fiberglass boat. The R-factor of an inch of solid hardwood is a little less than R-1. Snow has a higher R- factor. I speculate if you have a cored fiberglass hull, you would actually have superior insulating properties over wood (or solid fiber). We have a cored deck and solid hulls and do just fine with no condensation. We keep the relative humidity very low so that we can live, cook, bathe, etc in comfort. The pic shows inside/outside temps and inside relative humidity as of this morning.

Just shows there's more than one way to skin a cat, both Wolf and I have and do live abroad during PNW winters. Two different boats with two different approaches. Both seem to work!

P.S. Did this reply with pic all on my iPhone- is that cool or what??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3690319589.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	21641  
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 16:44   #40
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
Just to clarify for all those wanting to live-aboard on a fiberglass boat. The R-factor of an inch of solid hardwood is a little less than R-1. Snow has a higher R- factor. I speculate if you have a cored fiberglass hull, you would actually have superior insulating properties over wood (or solid fiber). We have a cored deck and solid hulls and do just fine with no condensation. We keep the relative humidity very low so that we can live, cook, bathe, etc in comfort. The pic shows inside/outside temps and inside relative humidity as of this morning.

Just shows there's more than one way to skin a cat, both Wolf and I have and do live abroad during PNW winters. Two different boats with two different approaches. Both seem to work!

P.S. Did this reply with pic all on my iPhone- is that cool or what??
I also pointed out that in addition to the 1" of wood there is a 2" air space between hull and 1/4" cieling with ventilation top and bottom. Over a period of about 3 months the most water I get is a couple of quarts, not really enough for a bilge pump I use a wet/dry vac (just out of principle I would rather not have water in my bilge if I can help it).
Old 02-12-2010, 17:48   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
I lived aboard for 7 years in FL (Yeah I know but it does freeze here).
  • Every closed space had a muffin fan
  • Sqeegee and absorber (synthetic chamois) for the head after showers
  • same for single glazed windows
  • electric heat
  • exhaust vent for the stove
  • Open her up whenever wx permits

Tags
condensation