Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2024, 05:19   #16

Re: Considering a Liveaboard life - Residency

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
If you are going to have a slip in New England for six months, the address of the marina becomes your address. I’ve never known a marina that won’t accept mail for its slip owners.

But your residential address doesn’t need to be your mailing address. SBI is more focused on cruisers with no real home port. I would suggest using Ipostal1.com which works like SBI but you have an address in your state for $10/month. The address is not a PO Box. It is a street address with a number after it - like an apartment number. You can even go pick up your mail in person.

I would also carefully research whether you want to use the “live aboard” word. In many places this refers to someone on a non-navigable boat. A cruiser who is six months one place and six months somewhere else is not usually considered a live aboard. Same when dealing with your insurance company. Remember that the marina will require an insurance policy - although “liability only” is enough.

Some marinas have a maximum number of nights per month that a cruiser can sleep on his boat. Even here the rules often get waived for people who aren’t any trouble. Definitely approach marinas in person not by email or phone. An agreeable single old guy without kids or big dogs with enough income to keep his boat in good shape is likely to find a spot - although it might take a few months while they throw out someone they don’t like as much.
Okay, so first - this advice of using the term, "Liveaboard" is fantastic, and this alone is a reason that I'm thrilled that I stumbles across this forum. I could easily see how, "liveaboard" and paint the picture of an actual houseboat...or house-floating-barge......so yea, really good advice. That's not my goal here......it more a 40' - 50' ish trawler or something. Granted......90% of the year it's prolly just be floating in a skip, but...to me that's the idea.....able to just throw the lines and get out of there.

...and a older (42) single guy w/ no kids/pets/responsibilities/etc is def the category that I fall under.
Subcook69420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2024, 05:25   #17

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subcook69420 View Post
More so lower cost of living, and if I don't like my neighbors, or if I'm in the FL part of the rotation and there's a hurricane, I can just pull anchor and leave (If hurricane was the case, I'd probably just go in the opposite direct, because afterall......it's a boat !

I suspect living aboard isn't really less expensive than a small apartment or condo or whatever on land. What with all the ancillary issues, maintenance, etc. You might want to do some cost comparisons, if you haven't already.

And FWIW, just going elsewhere when a hurricane threatens isn't quite as easy as it sounds. Not impossible, but not a cakewalk. Which way is the weather going, today? Oh, wait, the predictions changed... Oh wait, they changed again... Oh, wait yet again...

Knowing which way to beat feet, early enough to do it, isn't always as straightforward as you'd think. Circa 2000, Irene (I think) was predicted to come out of the south and then hit FL on the east coast, No wait, they changed that to the west coast. No wait, back east again. No wait, west again.

Irene passed right over our house, inland, about 15 miles west of FLL... on a southwest to northeast path...

Just offering tidbits so you can think it all through...

"Older" and "42" in the same sentence? Heh...

-Chris
Old 15-05-2024, 05:30   #18

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
If you are going to have a slip in New England for six months, the address of the marina becomes your address. I’ve never known a marina that won’t accept mail for its slip owners.

But your residential address doesn’t need to be your mailing address. SBI is more focused on cruisers with no real home port. I would suggest using Ipostal1.com which works like SBI but you have an address in your state for $10/month. The address is not a PO Box. It is a street address with a number after it - like an apartment number. You can even go pick up your mail in person.
There is no technical reason "the marina becomes your address" after six months. Most states define the term "domicile" as something like this statement from New Hampshire:
Quote:
You make a town or ward in New Hampshire your principal place of physical presence to the exclusion of all other places. Your actions in New Hampshire reveal your intent to make a place in New Hampshire your domicile/residence. Such actions include, but are not limited to, purchasing or leasing a principal (i.e. primary) house or apartment, obtaining a resident vehicle registration, placing dependent children in a publicly funded school, registering to vote, paying taxes applicable only to residents, etc. RSA 21:6; RSA 21:6-a; RSA 259:23; RSA 654:1.
In other words, domicile is a fuzzy concept, interpreted differently in each of 50 states. As a boater/cruiser with a boat that can move about, government agencies will want to see a legitimate residential street address someplace. Sure, you might be able to use the marina address, but I wouldn't do so because you are very likely to leave at some point. Choose someplace for your domicile that is unlikely to change for many years, or you will run into problems. For example, I have received surprise tax refunds sent to my address of record. Same with new debit cards, bank checks, driver's license renewals, tax notices, legal notices, Coast Guard Documentation renewal, etc.
Old 15-05-2024, 05:32   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
I suspect living aboard isn't really less expensive than a small apartment or condo or whatever on land. What with all the ancillary issues, maintenance, etc. You might want to do some cost comparisons, if you haven't already.

And FWIW, just going elsewhere when a hurricane threatens isn't quite as easy as it sounds. Not impossible, but not a cakewalk. Which way is the weather going, today? Oh, wait, the predictions changed... Oh wait, they changed again... Oh, wait yet again...

Knowing which way to beat feet, early enough to do it, isn't always as straightforward as you'd think. Circa 2000, Irene (I think) was predicted to come out of the south and then hit FL on the east coast, No wait, they changed that to the west coast. No wait, back east again. No wait, west again.

Irene passed right over our house, inland, about 15 miles west of FLL... on a southwest to northeast path...

-Chris
I 100% hear you.......and weather is definitely one of my towards to top of the list as far as serious concerns that need to be taken into consideration, and accounted for. It is what it is, and I just hard headely refuse to allow that to be a barrier. I DO get it though.....kinda scary.

As far as #'s....yea I've already done some crunching....and anyway you look at it, I'd still be very much in the green. For perspective, here in NH....even a studio apt is going for around 2K/month, on a good day. Much like the rest of the country, there's a housing crisis here. The slip(s) alone, provided I can find two....would average around 8K/yr......I can cover that w/ my VA money easily ...
Old 15-05-2024, 05:37   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
There is no technical reason "the marina becomes your address" after six months. Most states define the term "domicile" as something like this statement from New Hampshire:

In other words, domicile is a fuzzy concept, interpreted differently in each of 50 states. As a boater/cruiser with a boat that can move about, government agencies will want to see a legitimate residential street address someplace. Sure, you might be able to use the marina address, but I wouldn't do so because you are very likely to leave at some point. Choose someplace for your domicile that is unlikely to change for many years, or you will run into problems. For example, I have received surprise tax refunds sent to my address of record. Same with new debit cards, bank checks, driver's license renewals, tax notices, legal notices, Coast Guard Documentation renewal, etc.
YES ! -- He get's it .........what you are describing is my primary concern at this juncture ! That said, how are your personal feeling on organizations like SBI to overcome this substancial barrier ?
Old 15-05-2024, 05:41   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post

-Chris

okay...yea, lay it on me....I guess "older" and "42" in the same sentence may look bad to the REAL old folk (lol, I'm just kidding guys). Kids are grown and out of the house, kind of starting a new chapter in the life thing. Age is relative. Pint is ...I'm not some rich hipster attempting to do the hippy thing...... I'm actually pretty serious about it....hence why everyone says when shopping for those 6 month livaboard slips to show up in person to show them that. Great Tidbits btw , much thanks
Old 15-05-2024, 05:46   #22

Quote:
how are your personal feeling on organizations like SBI to overcome this substancial barrier
SBI is the best service in this regard, IMHO. I've used them previously for mail forwarding purposes only, since my domicile was elsewhere, but many cruisers use them successfully as their permanent domicile address. Since you plan on spending at least some time in Florida anyway, they would be in a good location for you. Though personally, I prefer the Florida Keys or the west coast for boating purposes. Just way more places to go on a sailboat. But if SBI's location works for you, I would give them a call. Your specific requirement of an address for VA facilities might make a big difference to where you want to call "home."
Old 15-05-2024, 06:02   #23

Quote:

As far as #'s....yea I've already done some crunching....and anyway you look at it, I'd still be very much in the green. For perspective, here in NH....even a studio apt is going for around 2K/month, on a good day. Much like the rest of the country, there's a housing crisis here. The slip(s) alone, provided I can find two....would average around 8K/yr......I can cover that w/ my VA money easily ...
Crunch again. Slip cost is maybe 25% of the operating cost of a boat on the move. Both my house and my boat are mortgage free. Maintenance and repairs on the boat are 10x the house. Insurance is similar even though coverage is better on the house.

For my 36-foot LOA boat in Mexico, cheap transient slip is $1/ft/day, roughly $1100/mo. Many transient slips in semi-desirable parts of the US are $2/ft/day. In high demand places, I've seen $4-$5 per foot.

I don't think you realize how many people have tried this same idea thinking they found a secret to inexpensive luxury living. Seems to be Step 2 of the boat-sickness craze that we all go through. Some folks learn from others, some have to endure the scars themselves - and find out how hard it to get rid of a boat that is financially draining them dry. Some folks persevere, most don't.

There's nothing preventing you from getting an SBI address today. Give it a try now and see what hiccups you encounter (if any). Doesn't have to be concurrent with getting a boat. You can pull the plug without much notice. $20/mo gets you started.

Good luck.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2024, 07:50   #24

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
I said "apartments" because that'd maybe be a direct comparison to slip rental costs: money you sorta throw out the window, never recover, etc. (Not necessarily a bad thing, depending; just no equity.)

What I was really thinking about, though, is an ownership position on land (with equity, potential build up over time, etc.) compared to throwing slip money away every month.

And then with a land abode, you tend to not have to fix the engine every so often, or the freshwater pump, or the AC, or the etc etc etc etc... Insurance might be less expensive, too (dunno). And you may or may not need periodic visits to the fuel dock and the waste pump-out, for a land home.

With a boat, you'll be fixing something almost every day.... if you're doing it right. Could be therapeutic. Could at least be semi-bearable. Could be a PITA. (Your call.)

Just more stuff to take into account...

-Chris
Old 15-05-2024, 08:02   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
If you plan on living in a state six months in a liveaboard slip, that's likely your residence.
The marina would have to specifically allow live aboards. It's been my experience that many marinas don't like getting all of your mail. Once you register as your address, all the junk mail starts getting delivered in your name at that address.

This doesn't scale well for the office staff to sort through a large volume of junk mail to sort out their mail, and then what to do with you and other's mail.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2024, 08:17   #26
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

if you are a liveaboard why not use the marina address for your license?
Old 15-05-2024, 08:43   #27

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Funny you should mention. I personally have not slept a few nights on a small sail boat personally, BUT I have over 90 days submerged on a submarine (Groton, CT - not Norfolk) I understand that very much apples and oranges, but the kids are graduated and out of the house....I don't need all this space. Having space isn't really a concern....even the surface pukes had more space than we did, ha ha.

Not rellly soing this to venture the world. More so lower cost of living, and if I don't like my neighbors, or if I'm in the FL part of the rotation and there's a hurricane, I can just pull anchor and leave (If hurricane was the case, I'd probably just go in the opposite direct, because afterall......it's a boat !
Well since it's just you, it shouldn't be a problem. You can always change your mind.

I have a sub guy here as a tech. Retired E8.

You sub guys are definitely a breed apart.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2024, 10:31   #28

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

If you need a physical address, here is an idea I have not seen posted.
Buy a cheap lot someplace that has a street address, and then use a mail forwarder service.

For example: you can buy a 2 acre lot in Northern California or Nevada for $ 3000, never live there but it's a street address and a place to go camping.

Going really fancy put a simple cabin on it and rent it out through a vacation rental agency. Thus giving you some income.

I'm sure you can find cheap swamp lots in Florida too.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2024, 10:55   #29

Quote:
Buy a cheap lot someplace that has a street address, and then use a mail forwarder service.
Doesn't work for your official home "domicile" address. There is a database of every officially accepted address in the USA, and banks and other official agencies are required by law to use it to verify addresses. Yes, some cruisers get away with oddball addresses, but make your life easier and get one that shows up as a legit residential address. Some services will only send items to your official street address (no mailing address), so it has to be able to accept packages at least.
Old 15-05-2024, 11:36   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Find your nearest centre on Homeless center, or use lawyer or
find something like this https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/worl...-for-1-4310285

in reality all liveaboard cruiser are homeless people.
in Lot country in EU homeless shelter give address.
more is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, liveaboard