Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2007, 14:26   #31

Bahia Redonda Marina, Puerto La Cruz, Vz - $390/mo up to 40' (monohull), Cable TV, water, and electricity included (air conditioning is extra. Wireless Internet 50,000 Bvs/mo = $23:

Caribbean marina and boatyard | Marina Bahia Redonda
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 05:47   #32

Boat: Looking.....
NOR CAL dockage

Hey just curious, does anybody have some more info in regards to dockage in NOR CAL? I am really trying to find a decent place to start the liveaboard process...any info would be great...slip fees/slips/liveaboard cost...etc.
THANKS
TRAVIS
cloudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 11:08   #33

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Eureka is cheap, Thinking about hitting it up myself
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:02   #34

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505
Melbourne, FL (east central Florida) is $11.00 USD per foot per month. What you get for $139.00 liveaboard fee - Showers, Water. Electricity comes with the slip and is unmetered.

Rick in Florida
That's pretty decent actually, harbortown in fort pierce is 12 per foot, 100 month for liveaboard and metered elec with a min per month. that at a city marina?
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:34   #35

Boat: Looking.....
boooo

okay.... I am officially frustrated. I have found tons of boats that I could potentionally buy, but have not found any reasonable priced marina's for a liveaboard! I am looking for a place south of The BAY AREA. Obviously Santa Cruz is outta the question...can't wait 12years. I did notice a few people are around Moss landing. Does anybody else know of liveaboard places that aren't $$$ between santa cruz to santa barbara? As I am not in the state yet, I can't really check each one....so any info would help.
some examples....moss landing...morro bay....pismo...grover...los osos...ANYTHING? Please help!
thanks
Travis

who would have thought that there were so many restrictions on people who want to free themselves!!
cloudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:09   #36
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
There IS Half Moon Bay - but I don't know the availability there.

Times will vary according to size of boat. The larger the boat, the longer the time. Most marinas have a minimum length for liveaboards.

Santa Cruz is more like 25 years and then only if you know the right people - and that is just for the slip - NOT liveaboard.

Moss Landing will tell you two years for a slip, longer for a liveaboard. When you show up in person, they will tell you actual. This is pretty typical for all marinas.

Monterey is 12 to 15 years for a slip, 4 to 6 years for a mooring (for the City owned) Liveaboard is almost out of the question. There is a private marina there, shorter wait list, twice as expensive, and liveaboard is whimsical.

Morro has a FEW slips, and mooring. The slips and moorings are reasonably available during Summer - but you gotta be out by Winter, as most of the boats moored over in Port San Luis/Avila Winter over in Morro.

Santa Barbara - See Santa Cruz

Ventura - wait is about 2 to 3 years for a liveaboard. Only one marina regularly has slips for liveaboard (Ventura West Marina). Some of the others will on a case by case basis ... ie: boat and person must be seen and recommendations by locals they know and respect (yeah it's discrimination ... but thats life).

Channel Islands Harbor - Slips available ... liveaboard after about two years of your boat being in one of the marinas may be available - depends on which one. Cost is getting to be a major problem.

Marina del Mar and Kings Harbor (Redondo) hahahahahaa ...

San Pedro - About like Ventura - only much more expensive (except for the slums on the South side).

LA Harbor - Slips available - some even reasonable - liveaboard possible - it all depends on the boat and you, and ... and ...

Getting the idea? It gets worse.

Long Beach/Alimitos Bay - About a two year wait (depending on size) for a slip - liveaboard an additional two years or so.

Huntington - not an option for a sailboat.

Newport - how rich are you?

Dana Point - In process of refurbishing / rebuilding slips ... I don't think they are taking anything new right now. Liveaboards are 4+ year wait anyway.

Oceanside - small harbor and am not sure

Mission Bay - very few slip for boats with mast heights of more than 35 feet.

San Diego to Chula Vista - Slip fees are almost $25+ a foot in SD Bay to $20 in Chula - Liveaboards can be found with little wait - for a fee, of course - about an additional $200/mth.

Is that detailed enough for you?

You SURE you want to berth in Southern CA?

And you aren't trying to free yourself, if you are looking for a slip .. it is when you are looking for the best anchorage, then you are freeing yourself.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:02   #37
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Cloudman - as you speculated in email, the SF Bay area may be better for what you want. As I said above, things are expensive the further South you go. Also, like real estate, location is everything.

The bay area has opportunities for both your potential boat and for you and your new wife (congrats by the way). MOST of us normal folk (said tongue-in-cheek) can't afford to have both a liveaboard/cruising boat AND a house/apt. ashore - especially in CA. Being young and effectively just starting out, you can be flexible, adventuresome, and creative in how you go about solving this problem.

Maybe some type of work in the San Pablo Bay or Delta area with plenty of slips available there - probably even some liveaboard (certainly in the Sac. Delta).

Good luck!

P.S. The reason I responded in the forum, is that the questions that you asked and the responses could be informative to others - this is what makes this forum very popular - lots of shared information.

Also, may I suggest that you take a moment to fill in some of the profile information - this will help others determine appropriate responses to any of your future questions.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 15:14   #38

Boat: NewPort 33, Lucille
33 Foot NewPort in Portland Oregon and I'm buying $175 for the slip plus power. Not the nicest moorage in Portland but very friendly.
eldiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 13:59   #39

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
annapolis (Back Creek) will run around 8k for a 40 ft slip including utilities. Live aboard 1k per year. Move that up to a 50 ft slip and the cost is 12k.
Pool, coin operated laundry, nice location... Go just outside of the city or across the bay bridge and you will reduce your costs by 40%.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2007, 07:46   #40

Boat: Beneteau First 42 - Five & Dime
Baltimore Inner Harbor 45ft floating dock, in 500 slip upscale marina

$4,455.00 Yearly fee (Pay up front)
$1,200.00 Yearly fee for liveaboard (Pay up front)
8% of Yearly fee applied to electrical, billed at 16 cents per Kwhr. Off season electrical billed direct to owner (Metered)

Includes: cable tv, health club membership, water (in season), one car underground parking and free towing in the Chesapeak Bay.

Limited to 12 liveaboards (First time letting liveaboards stay at marina)

Just moved from 540 slip co-op trying to get rid of "rental" liveaboards.

Great view of downtown skyline, Fort Scott and Patapsco river. Marina wanted good liveaboards. Close walk to virtually all shopping needs, including a great Safeway.

Curt
first42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 17:51   #41

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Curt,

Where did you come from that was getting rid of the "rentals"? Friends of ours lived in a Baltimore marina with the huge condo complex (the floating pool, indoor health club). Seemed to have a great live-aboard community, it would be a pity if that one was the one getting rid of it's live-aboards.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 09:00   #42

Boat: Beneteau First 42 - Five & Dime
We have moved from a marina in Canton, to another marina in Canton, off Boston Street. Our old marina had a floating pool, so that may or may not be the one you are thinking of, I can't tell for sure.

(Actually, I had written a reply to your question which was probably 2,500 words in length, citing point by point issues as to why we left. When I submitted that message I realized that the corporate server I'm on had kicked me offline (time) so I lost that string of thought. Good thing that happened. I had edited that message, to hopefully eliminate the potentail for litigation, from liable and slander as our old marina has served legal notice to a couple of the owners for their comments on other websites.)

Anyway, we left our old marina because it no longer served our needs for parking and the general attitude towards rental liveaboards, we felt, was not the same as when we arrived there, almost six years ago.

When we first arrived, there was a large "sailing/cruising" flavor at the marina, dominantly created by the South Bound Cruisers, which now have their annual meetings in New Bern. That feeling is no longer there.

The marina we left has changed management two or three times and changed the Board of Directors twice, since we arrived. All that has created issues that have developed over a time, which we are no longer comfortable with.

We left our "liveaboard family" with a great deal of anguish. As I'm sure you recognize, liveaboards create a community that is ever so close, dependant on each other, as we know each others intimately so. That is something that "dirtdwellers" will never know or experience. (their loss) So, as you can appreciate, our move was done only after great introspection.

Our old marina is a cooperative, with slips for sail that are a great bargain for what you get, as an owner. I could not justify purchasing one for a multitude of personal reasons. As renters, management had limited need to respond to our needs. As owners, management has to respond to their requirements.

Baltimore harbor is a vibrant and active area. The city itself is coming of age and where we are is just special. We are withing a 6 block walking of virtually 150 resturaunts, walk to a new and clean large Safeway store, within two blocks of dentists and doctors and the general area is clean. It's a great and less expensive alternate to Annapolis, where we have so many friends that liveaboard there. I frankly cannot compare what the inner harbor is becoming to any other harbor on either East or West coast.

Hope this answers what you were asking. If you want blood and details, that's a suitable for PM only.

Curt
first42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 05:46   #43

Boat: searching....
North Tampa Area

Any have any ideas in North Tampa Area - maybe Trapon Springs and North to Hernando County. Looking for around 40' with live aboard.
familyafloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 11:23   #44

Boat: 49' DeFever CMY - Lazy Days
I live aboard (34 years) in Long Beach CA 50' trawler - slip is $600 + $250 live-a-board, includes water & electricity/showers. HOWEVER, you may have to wait several years to get a live-a-board slip. Better check that out in your area first!
Lazy Days
lazydaysrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2007, 17:55   #45
cruiser

Cost of liveaboard dockage

My cost has been zero.
In the last 23 years I haven't paiid to tie to a dock. I anchor out.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard