Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2020, 04:09   #1

Courtesy flags?

Hi all.

If a boat is registered in the UK, but the crew are not from that country, is it ok to fly the nationalities of the crew as courtesy flags? Do they have to go in an order when in a third country.

Eg, Irish and Italian crew, on UK registered boat in Greece.

Also are duraflags really more durable? And where's a good place to buy flags online that charges reasonable international delivery?

Thanks
andypag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 04:41   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Courtesy flags?

Courtesy flags are a courtesy. From Wikipedia:

"A courtesy flag (or courtesy ensign) is flown by a visiting ship in foreign waters as a token of respect. It is often a small (that is, smaller than the ship's own national ensign) national maritime flag of the host country, "

In other words, you fly the flag of the country you are visiting, not that of your crew.

Try Amazon. They've got bunches of flags, and if you have Prime,...

Biggest issue I've found is rigging a flag halyard so that it does not let the flag chaff against a shroud.
Old 12-12-2020, 05:04   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypag View Post
Hi all.

If a boat is registered in the UK, but the crew are not from that country, is it ok to fly the nationalities of the crew as courtesy flags? Do they have to go in an order when in a third country.

Eg, Irish and Italian crew, on UK registered boat in Greece.. .

These are not "courtesy flags", but "guest flags". Worn in alphabetical order. But not for crew -- only guests.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 18:26   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

And then, in order to determine the correct order as Dockhead suggests, you have to figure out whether your guests are from Britain, Great Britain, England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, or the United Kingdom. Eire or Ireland, Germany or Deutchland, Holland or Nederland, Greece or Hellas, and have the appropriate flag ready. (Scotland's flag is NOT the same as Great Britain's!...). Sounds like too much work and confusion, despite any nice intention. People who might believe they're courtesy flags on the wrong (port) halyard will also think that you're insulting the host country you're visiting by hoisting other nations' flags. Imagine how tipsy local dock visitors might react: not pretty. UK vessels are normally viewed as sticklers on protocol and tradition. Hoisting one courtesy flag on the starboard spreader is probably enough excitement.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 04:18   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
And then, in order to determine the correct order as Dockhead suggests, you have to figure out whether your guests are from Britain, Great Britain, England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, or the United Kingdom. Eire or Ireland, Germany or Deutchland, Holland or Nederland, Greece or Hellas, and have the appropriate flag ready. (Scotland's flag is NOT the same as Great Britain's!...). Sounds like too much work and confusion, despite any nice intention. People who might believe they're courtesy flags on the wrong (port) halyard will also think that you're insulting the host country you're visiting by hoisting other nations' flags. Imagine how tipsy local dock visitors might react: not pretty. UK vessels are normally viewed as sticklers on protocol and tradition. Hoisting one courtesy flag on the starboard spreader is probably enough excitement.
Unless writing in Gaelic, there’s no place called Eire, thanks, Holland is not a country by the way, it’s two provinces ( Noord & Zuid)

Ps , don’t overthink it , put what you like on the port flag lines , nobody cares, if you like to fly crew flags then do so , have you seen the junk flying from charter boats in Greece , it’s a wonder there isn’t knickers hoisted

Don’t sweat it.

As for the Uk vessels being sticklers , please , they are some of the worst offenders

Fly the country courtesy flag on the starboard( please, not tattered like you see loads of Greek courtesy flags are ) , put up Walt Disney’s flag on the port if you like.

As you say it’s quite common to fly national flags of the crew , especially visiting crew ( there being no passengers on a pleasure yacht )it’s regarded as a mark of respect and welcome

Of course as an Irish man , I’m duty bound to fly Scotland’s or Wales provincial flags as a courtesy flag on the starboard side when I enter these ports, it usually brings a wry comment. ( and a glass of whiskey in one or two places )

Tags
courtesy flags, flags