Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2015, 22:43   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m
Create A Liveaboard Helpline

It has become clear to me that liveaboards are also prone to stress, feeling down, needing some pep talk, advise about liveaboard social and mental issues. My idea is to create a helpline in the shape of facebook, CF site to address these cries for help for which for landlubbers there are many outlets. In the special xase of liveaboards land consilrants might not understand our liveaboard challenges and I am not referring to technical issues for which fora like CF cater well enough! I came to think of this as I am qualified consultant and even volunteered a land based call in help line.
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 01:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Create A Liveaboard Helpline

dear goosebumps

My girlfriend of 4 years, has just split up with me. I'm devastated. We were at a family party and had too much to drink. My girlfriend went to bed early and I was left chatting to her 17 year old sister. I know it's corny, but one thing led to another, and we ended up having sex on the kitchen table, then in the garden, and finally in my parents bedroom.

My girlfriend found out, of course.

How can I get back in touch with her sister?
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 01:54   #3
Marine Service Provider

Need more details to be able to help!
Old 26-11-2015, 04:41   #4

A liveaboard help line. Interesting. Will it have a suicide prevention hotline too? Does anyone want to babysit my kids on Thanksgiving?
robert. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 07:32   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert.hamic View Post
A liveaboard help line. Interesting. Will it have a suicide prevention hotline too? Does anyone want to babysit my kids on Thanksgiving?

Why not suicide prevention? Are you trying to clain liveaboards cannot harbor suicidal feelings? The issue for me with liveaboards
appealling for help of any kind within the moral, mental ambit is that when a oroblem is acure a liveaboard would need to explain his/her style of living to condultant without any clue about inherent liveaboard isdues! That would kead to mis communication, waste of time... I feel that if a helpline would be organized by liveaboards for liveaboards, ie using skype, whereever they are, could be great to improve liveaboard needs in that ambit! We can be cynical, sarcastic, joke about it but to my experience liveaboards have all the normal terrestial human problems often increased by typical liveaboard aspects! I did realuze that Inrisked macho, cynical, sarcastic responses from CF community to this idea but at the same time I know that under the macho kayer liceaboards are equally sensitive people who actually expose themselves to more external stimuli which can be can be alienating.
Old 26-11-2015, 15:28   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Goosebumps,

I'll take you at your word that you are serious about your idea. Not too sure though about the execution of your idea.

OK a toll free number. Who is going to pay for that? Will you have enough people to man the line? What qualifications in terms of training for the operators? What is your liability?

Isn't it a wonderful world we live in?

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 16:33   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
It has become clear to me that liveaboards are also prone to stress, ...........................
You must be kidding! We see a lot of anxiety from people attempting to become liveaboards, but those that are living aboard are the least stressed people I know. Maybe we need to reach out to those who are commuting to work on the freeways from their 3,000sq.ft. houses in the tangle of suburbia, but their numbers are overwhelming.
Old 26-11-2015, 16:51   #8

Or maybe even a step further to help each other, from babysit, to need of whatever one can count on each other....

The only problem is communication...Ok the VHF but who knows who?

In theory everybody should help everybody, especially on the sea, not an easy enviroment...
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 17:06   #9

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
It has become clear to me that liveaboards are also prone to stress, feeling down, needing some pep talk, advise about liveaboard social and mental issues.

I find that manual labor is a great stress reliever.

Singing 16 Tons while scrubbing the deck is a sure cure.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-11-2015, 17:17   #10

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
We see a lot of anxiety from people attempting to become liveaboards, but those that are living aboard are the least stressed people I know.
That's what I was thinking too.

As for me personally: back when I was living on land, I barely knew my neighbors. Now I'm part of a small floating community where people look after each other.
When I was sick a couple of months ago, my fellow liveaboards noticed I was staying in the boat. So they came knocking. And not just that: they brought groceries too. I never even had to ask - they just came by to make sure everything was OK and I was eating healthy. I think I overdosed on freshly squeezed OJ in those 2 weeks

That NEVER happened to me on land - my neighbors would never have noticed or even cared.

I also don't really understand why any help available outside of the community would be a waste of time. You make it sound like every problem is due to the liveaboard live and no professional (not living on a boat) could do anything to help. Why not? I fail to understand that, to be honest.

Maybe -probably- some (new) liveaboards aren't cut out for the livestyle. It happens, and when it does the answer is: move back to land. No shame in that at all, it's just being smart and doing what makes you happy.

When the problems have nothing to do with the liveaboard live, you need the same help as everybody else - be it from some sort of professional or friends and family.
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 17:30   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
dear goosebumps

My girlfriend of 4 years, has just split up with me. I'm devastated. We were at a family party and had too much to drink. My girlfriend went to bed early and I was left chatting to her 17 year old sister. I know it's corny, but one thing led to another, and we ended up having sex on the kitchen table, then in the garden, and finally in my parents bedroom.

My girlfriend found out, of course.

How can I get back in touch with her sister?
Nice Alex !

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 22:50   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
You must be kidding! We see a lot of anxiety from people attempting to become liveaboards, but those that are living aboard are the least stressed people I know. Maybe we need to reach out to those who are commuting to work on the freeways from their 3,000sq.ft. houses in the tangle of suburbia, but their numbers are overwhelming.

I agree that liveaboard can be very therapeutic, it is for me. But, I liveaboard life can be part contributary to depression ie family dissaproving of their sons or daugthers choosong such liveaboard life over being successful member of productive society pursuing a career.... Or liveaboards discover that there are many inhibitors to their hoped for freedom, ie marinas looking down on liveaboards rather have yachts being parked and iwners paying lots for that without having to render costky servuces such as ablution, extra security... I can think of many factors putying pressure on our life style and we are not all equiped with coping mechanism to deal with that. So yes I belueve help fir liveabiards by liveaboards could work. Toll free nrs, skype, website with email comms... all ideas welcome.
Old 26-11-2015, 22:57   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
That's what I was thinking too.

As for me personally: back when I was living on land, I barely knew my neighbors. Now I'm part of a small floating community where people look after each other.
When I was sick a couple of months ago, my fellow liveaboards noticed I was staying in the boat. So they came knocking. And not just that: they brought groceries too. I never even had to ask - they just came by to make sure everything was OK and I was eating healthy. I think I overdosed on freshly squeezed OJ in those 2 weeks

That NEVER happened to me on land - my neighbors would never have noticed or even cared.

I also don't really understand why any help available outside of the community would be a waste of time. You make it sound like every problem is due to the liveaboard live and no professional (not living on a boat) could do anything to help. Why not? I fail to understand that, to be honest.

Maybe -probably- some (new) liveaboards aren't cut out for the livestyle. It happens, and when it does the answer is: move back to land. No shame in that at all, it's just being smart and doing what makes you happy.

When the problems have nothing to do with the liveaboard live, you need the same help as everybody else - be it from some sort of professional or friends and family.

Good points and I agree liveaboard social life has great potential. But weare not all social and I am sure that even you know of some liveaboards right where you are who everyone considers as exentrics who are asocial. I personally went twice to yacht of which I didn't see the owner for few days, a liveaboard who didnt communicate much with neighbour liveaboards. One had intestine blockage lying on floor inside his trimaran. Other had advanced malaria. Both would have died if I wouldnt have shown interest.
As for Atol, I appreciate jokes like eceryone else hut being insensitive isnt a great personality trait! Again I knew I was going to get flack for launching this thread here, but whatever comes or doesn't come of it, I feel better having tried CF members to think about aspects of liveaboard challenging us and many needing help, advise and not only of a technical nature!
Old 26-11-2015, 23:30   #14
Marine Service Provider

I wanted to add that many liveaboards cruise in areas with no fellow liveaboards at all. In my case off East Africa coast I cruise mostly in areas without any other liveaboards. There might be yachts passing but only with weekender yachters on charter. These liveaboards who choose to be in these lonely areas don't have the option of liveaboard neighbours in a marina. They could benefit from help line even more! I find it very hard to accept a CF moderator supporting cynical unhelpful reactions to any thread. Why does that moderator not come out and say his piece directly here? I ubeerstand that CF frowns upon cynical, provokative and unhelpful postings, I assumed CF moderators would be first to protect against this!
Old 26-11-2015, 23:32   #15

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
I am sure that even you know of some liveaboards right where you are who everyone considers as exentrics who are asocial.
Not really, no.

Quote:
As for Atol, I appreciate jokes like eceryone else hut being insensitive isnt a great personality trait!
Atol? Joke about Atol?

Misreading something and then calling someone out on their personality flaws ...
You should probably hire someone to take the calls of people who are on the edge, so to speak.

Here's a solution:

You don't need this forums permission. You seem to be where help is needed.
Put up a website (hire someone to do the text for you), set up a chat and Skype or whatever you'd like to use, and start helping all the liveaboards that are near you and want your help.

Quote:
These liveaboards who choose to be in these lonely areas don't have the option of liveaboard neighbours in a marina.
Get them out of that isolation they wanted and therapy them back into being social liveaboards
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard