Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2014, 18:38   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Crooks In Dominican Republic

If you want to see what is going on in the good ole USA read this article.

American shakedown: Police won't charge you, but they'll grab your money - World - CBC News

No need to talk about "third world countries" in this regard any longer.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 18:51   #62

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I still tip staff here in Aus, if they have seriously looked after me, and always have.. Don't see any problem with it at all.

If somebody makes their menial job the best they can and do it with style then I think a little extra payment is deserved. I am not that mean to begrudge them that nor, like a lot of folks, treat them with contempt and as if they were my servants. I would not tip them if they just went about the whole thing as a job they hated.

Coops.
I've only been to Australia once but I did tip too. Although the one I tipped most after a 32 hour trip there was the bellman. I was too exhausted to move and after taking my luggage up, he went across the street and got me a newspaper.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 18:56   #63

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

So you expect others to tip in your country but you do not respect the customs of Australia and you proceed to bribe our employees? It is disrespectful foreigners like you who are ruining our system. You will indirectly reduce the minimum wage because employers and restaurant owners will use the concept of your tipping to justify a drop in wages.

What a joke!

Whether you go to the USA, DR or Oz, please respect the local customs. You need an open mind.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 18:58   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
So you are slowly destroying the system, Coops.

Do you tip a doctor for extra good service ? For example, when they find a fatal skin cancer while attending to a unrelated matter? If it saved my life, I would consider that exceptional service. Do you? So do you tip them?
Doctors get paid considerably more than wait staff the last time I looked. And actually I do know those who have sort of tipped doctors by donating to a charity or research after such service.

I don't care what system I'm destroying, I will continue to tip those working hard at low paying jobs. Most people don't tip retail salespersons either, but we have given gift certificates or made other gestures to those who provided exceptional service. I don't tip the store owner. I don't tip marina owners, but I tip deck hands.

So now that you know Coops and I are the ones responsible for destroying the system.

What about yacht crew on charters? It's standard protocol to tip them, sometimes sizable amounts. Does that destroy the system too?

Also it's standard to tip hairdressers and nail technicians in the US.

What about strippers? Is that ok?
Old 22-09-2014, 18:59   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

It is not a "custom" not to tip in Australia. I have been here for over thirty years and spent a lot of money in restaurants and witnessed more tipping than non tipping. The minimum wage is set by the government here, not the employer. The employer cannot legally cut their wages.

Coops.
Old 22-09-2014, 19:02   #66

We follow the local system. Always.

That means bribes to wait staff and marina staff in the USA and non-monetary tips to 3rd world officials. And no tips in Oz.

You export your system to every country you go?

Who respects the local system and who wrecks the traditions formed over centuries?

Old 22-09-2014, 19:06   #67

Quote:
So you expect others to tip in your country but you do not respect the customs of Australia and you proceed to bribe our employees? It is disrespectful foreigners like you who are ruining our system. You will indirectly reduce the minimum wage because employers and restaurant owners will use the concept of your tipping to justify a drop in wages.

What a joke!

Whether you go to the USA, DR or Oz, please respect the local customs. You need an open mind.
I think you'll find some Australians tip as well. Doesn't seem the custom is nearly as firm as you describe. And, yes, I'm a disrespectful foreigner because I actually give presents or gifts to those who provide me exceptional service.

And from various travel sources regarding Australia:

Tipping in restaurants is not necessary, but certainly appreciated, and seems to be becoming more common. Some Australians leave tips for good restaurant service, but usually only in expensive restaurants. 10% for good service appears to be the usual figure, with more for exemplary service. There is a higher expectation that large groups leave a tip. Tips are often pooled and shared out amongst all staff.

Another

So should you tip?

I'm going out on a limb here and say Yes. But not always, and not even most of the time.

If you're in a popular tourist destination area, I'd say you'd be expected to tip waiters in relatively upmarket restaurants, taxi drivers, hotel workers who carry your luggage to your room or otherwise provide room service.

This would apply, for instance, in city areas in Sydney or Melbourne and visitor-oriented districts such as The Rocks and Darling Harbour in Sydney and Southbank and Docklands in Melbourne.

The dilemma is in trying to find out where, and when, you should not tip.

If you make a mistake, you can always err in favor of whoever serves you by leaving a small gratuity.

Another:

Tipping in Australia can be a confusing business. Do you tip at cafes or only restaurants? If so, how much? Is 10 per cent the magic number, or does that make you a “tight arse”?

And then what about "the shyster" who collects the tips from their mates, pays the exact bill amount on a card and pockets the change?

It happens, restaurant staff say.

Table setting.Dining out ... Tipping can be confusing for the diner. Photo: Erin Slattery
Tipping protocol in Australia works on a loose set of principles, and diners are often baffled about how much to leave and when it's appropriate. Ask any hospitality worker and they'll say, “always, and at least 10 per cent”.

But has Australia reached a point where tipping is now seen as compulsory?

According to Tara Moriarty, secretary of the liquor and hospitality division of the United Voice hospitality union, “there's no requirement to tip in Australia”.

“It's just a discretionary thing if people feel that they've had good service,” she says. “It's the easiest way for diners here to say thanks.”

So apparently I'm not alone.
Old 22-09-2014, 19:07   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

I don't care what system I'm destroying.....

So now that you know Coops and I are the ones responsible for destroying the system.

ok?

Ok! Your attitude has been very well expressed.

Old 22-09-2014, 19:10   #69

NOW WAIT JUST ONE MINUTE!!.

Are you saying that everywhere we sail, outside the US, Europe and Australia,are not exactly like the US???

OH MY GOD!! i am never going to any of those places!!!
johnmcntsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 19:19   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
We follow the local system. Always.

That means bribes to wait staff and marina staff in the USA and non-monetary tips to 3rd world officials. And no tips in Oz.

You export your system to every country you go?

Who respects the local system and who wrecks the traditions formed over centuries?
What makes you think that you have the right to tell me what not to do in my country. You may not tip here but it is not the norm. Re describing it as a bribe does not make it more sinister either. Bribes are for people to do things. Tips are rewards after somebody has done something special for you.

There is no tradition of no tipping in Australia, and certainly not one that has been formed over centuries. The country is not all that old in terms of occupation by the westerners.

Coops.
Old 22-09-2014, 19:21   #71

Re: crooks in Dominican Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
In my naivete' I never paid them anything and they left without harassment after drinking their warm coke.
This is always my strategy... Play dumb for a long time. 9 times out of 10, they will give up and leave. The 10th time, just finally flat out refuse, or pay. Your choice. I know plenty of people that use the refuse strategy, and never have a major issue from it. I am too conflict averse, so if playing dumb does not work (and it almost always does), I just pay. Even if you decide to pay, you should still negotiate. If they ask for $100, give them $20.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 19:25   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
What makes you think that you have the right to tell me what not to do in my country.

Coops.

Nothing at all, Coops! Did I imply that or did you infer that?

You keep on doing what you are doing, mate!

Haha! I wonder how the OP is getting on?

Old 22-09-2014, 19:28   #73

Quote:
Wifey B: Omg, now you're holding my hubby and me responsible for centuries and we haven't even been alive half a century yet. Darn, we're good.
Old 22-09-2014, 19:36   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Omg, now you're holding my hubby and me responsible for centuries and we haven't even been alive half a century yet. Darn, we're good.

I asked a question and you certainly answered it! This is really getting funny now....

Old 22-09-2014, 19:42   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Jimbo, this was more an insult than a question to my eyes.

Coops.

Tags
Dominica, Dominican Republic