Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2024, 06:41   #1

Cruiser phone and data?

My girlfriend and I, Canadian and American respectively, cruise the Caribbean and soon, Europe. We are looking for a way to have a phone and data access that doesn’t cost a fortune and is simple. We have starlink but don’t always use it as it’s expensive and power hungry.

Thank you.
IguanaSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2024, 08:04   #2

Boat: Manta 42 Mk IV Catamaran
Re: Cruiser phone and data?

I use Google Fi and has worked well for us.
Use code HUWHKJ for $60.00 off after your first 30 days.
Avionics_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2024, 09:46   #3

Boat: 52' Cheoy Lee Motorsailer

If you go with a plan in the caribbean then a different plan in Europe you my do best. In Europe if you are in coastal cell coverage (which is often) a local SIM is cheap and works well. We are getting 100GB for 15EU on a pretty standard Vodafone plan. You can probably do better if you dig. (We have not bothered.) WhatsApp is so prevelent in Europe we have not bothered with voice at all.
Good luck!
nmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2024, 11:29   #4

Boat: Lagoon 380

Only problem with Google Fi is after 90 days outside the US they will suspend your international data. You can still make calls and text, but no data. This has happened the past two years in the Bahamas, but we really don't care since we use Starlink as our primary. I will say phone data in the Bahamas is better now than when we first went there now that Starlink is so popluar. We used to joke in the Bahamas if you can see a tower you couldn't get on since to many people were trying to use it and if you can't see a tower you can't get on since there is no tower.

Cheyne
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2024, 08:36   #5

Thanks so much!
Old 11-08-2024, 09:14   #6

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by IguanaSwim View Post
My girlfriend and I, Canadian and American respectively, cruise the Caribbean and soon, Europe. We are looking for a way to have a phone and data access that doesn’t cost a fortune and is simple. We have starlink but don’t always use it as it’s expensive and power hungry.

Thank you.
Use an unlocked phone and buy local SIMs and activate with local prepaid data or combined data/voice/text plans in each country you visit. If roaming is cheap then do that where possible. When you’re outside of mobile coverage then activate a Starlink regional roam plan - when you change continents simply transfer your kit to yourself to a service address in the new continent. Is 40W really that power hungry?

If you want to keep a certain number, use a prepaid plan (or postpaid if that’s cheaper) to keep a US or Canadian number active (or Google Fi, but that’s limited to 90 days outside US, I think). You don’t need to have international roaming on to receive a call or text on that number.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2024, 09:40   #7

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avionics_Joe View Post
I use Google Fi and has worked well for us.
Use code HUWHKJ for $60.00 off after your first 30 days.
$60 off? How expensive is Google Fi otherwise? (I just checked - $80/month for 5GB of data OUCH!)

I bought local SIM cards everywhere. I don't think I ever spent $60 in a single month doing that. With WiFi calling, I could keep my US phone number, although had to find a hotspot as I couldn't use both SIMS at the same time. For a while I had a burner phone just to use as a hotspot.

I did look at Google Fi a few years ago, and I don't get the popularity. It was both expensive and has a 90 Day limitation outside the US. Wifi calling you probably already have on your plan, and I used it for 2 years outside the US, all over the world on a circumnavigation. Wifi calling also works with Starlink, so you can have working cell service, with a US number, in the middle of the ocean.

Look at the plans available with the new Starlink mini. They start at $50 per month for $50GB (vs $80 for 5GB for Google Fi), and it uses much less power than the standard dish.
Old 11-08-2024, 09:51   #8

Boat: Lagoon 380

My wife and I pay $129 for our Google Fi. We pry don't really need unlimited data on it since we rarely use 15Gb combined on Google Fi. Now on Starlink we normally use 1.2 to 1.5Tb a month.

We also found Google Voice on cell phones doesn't work right overseas. I talked to a friend of mine at Google and he said the GPS in my phone was giving me away even with a VPN running. Google Voice on my laptop works just fine.

I also maintain a Virtual Desktop on AWS that I use when I'm overseas to connect to sites that have problems with VPN. Capital One can tell when you are on VPN and makes you jump through a bunch of hoops to get in. Shoot Google search always pops up a Captcha when I'm on VPN.

Cheyne
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2024, 03:50   #9

Thank you for these suggestions. Much appreciated!!!

Tags
cruise, cruiser, phone