Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2020, 10:28   #16

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck
Re: Cruising in hot places- do you need a calorifier?

I installed a 6 gal. hot water heater in a client's sail boat, when away from the dock, he runns the Honda 2000 generator for 30 min., heating water and charging batts'
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 10:59   #17

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
You could purchase a couple of those black "solar shower" gizmos and lay them out on deck during the day to heat up. Think they are 20 litres or so which is enough for a shower and maybe washing the pots.

But there is nothing like a nice hot shower to get you clean so personally I'd go for the calorifier (admission - we already have one on our boat in the Med).
The black bags are also good for preheating water so you don't use so much stove time (fuel) if you need really hot water. Water that's already at 90 degrees will boil much faster than water out of the tank.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 13:34   #18

Boat: Moody 39

Thanks for all the replies, this one looks like a no-brainer. The calorifier funds will go most of the way towards building a new and better fridge.

I should probably mention that whilst living ashore, we don't actually have access to instant hot water either, due to the way our house is heated, and we boil the kettle for washing up (although we do have a dishwasher, which we will miss!).
I should perhaps not mention that we aren't the kind of people who need multiple showers a day, in fact according to my other half it would be an improvement if I managed multiple showers a week
SY Kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 14:10   #19

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Perhaps this is a bit too low budget for you, but it sure works for me and my kids, and it is not so Rube Goldberg to my way of thinking. A two gallon plastic chemical sprayer tank, wrapped in a black plastic bag then put inside a clear plastic comforter or bedspread bag out on deck in the sun for a few hours. Even on a cool breezy day it gets warm, the spray nozzle is free to go in all directions and if it still is not warm enough, a tea kettle of hot water added will absolutely do the trick. I'm pretty sure the metal tank painted black would get hotter even faster, I just didn't want to be banging a metal tank around on deck. BTW, I have tried the solar shower bags, this works MUCH better.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 17:07   #20

Boat: CAL-2 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Perhaps this is a bit too low budget for you, but it sure works for me and my kids, and it is not so Rube Goldberg to my way of thinking. A two gallon plastic chemical sprayer tank, wrapped in a black plastic bag then put inside a clear plastic comforter or bedspread bag out on deck in the sun for a few hours. Even on a cool breezy day it gets warm, the spray nozzle is free to go in all directions and if it still is not warm enough, a tea kettle of hot water added will absolutely do the trick. I'm pretty sure the metal tank painted black would get hotter even faster, I just didn't want to be banging a metal tank around on deck. BTW, I have tried the solar shower bags, this works MUCH better.

Works for me...of course I don't live on board but great for rinsing off the salt water.
davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 17:20   #21

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
You could purchase a couple of those black "solar shower" gizmos and lay them out on deck during the day to heat up. Think they are 20 litres or so which is enough for a shower and maybe washing the pots.

But there is nothing like a nice hot shower to get you clean so personally I'd go for the calorifier (admission - we already have one on our boat in the Med).
Yes, SunShower. Very simple, very effective. Beware, they can heat water hot enough to burn you, test before using.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 18:15   #22

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

One came with the boat. Pulled it out and gave it away. If your spending most of your time in the tropics you don’t need.
DocBrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 02:03   #23

Boat: 34 foot Ebbtide Steel Hull

You can buy a plate heat exchanger, plum inline with coolant on the engine, almost instant warm-hot water. Just be sure to fit a thermostatic valve, used to have one fitted in my van for showers works a treat and smaller than a shoe box, about £50 IIRC plus thermostatic
Old 17-07-2020, 04:13   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

We have been spending winters in the carib. Our shower is a 5 gallon plastic bucket, a 12v submersion pump and a shower head with hose. The bucket gets 3-1/2 gallons of tank water and we poor a kettle of hot water into the bucket, shower, wash hair, and rinse out the Cock pit the balance.

Cheap, simple, reliable, all bits useful for other things. We find it more than adequate.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 16:14   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

We used solar bags for years topped up with the kettle. Yes, we had a pair of calorifiers as well but we preferred not to put hours on the engines or to use our precious diesel. Having a 20 litre bag also enabled monitoring of our water consumption (even with a water maker on board). We would keep a second solar bag for rinsing off after a swim etc or cleaning up after fishing. We change the horrid little plastic shower head to a the type used in a bidet - all stainless steel / brass and a tight spray pattern with trigger release.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 17:20   #26

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

In the Med, yes hot/warm showers. In the Caribbean, not needed. Hot water is still useful, but I haven't used any for a year, and I normally like hot showers. One thing I don't do is wash with sea water. It doesn't work. It takes much more fresh water then to remove the stickiness of sea water.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 07:35   #27

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY Kelpie View Post

For those of you cruising bluewater in the usual places (Carib etc) do you actually get any use out of a calorifier? It's starting to seem like a job that I could take off the list.
=============================================
I removed a perfectly functioning heat exchange water heater tank and used the space to add 2 extra batteries (house bank #2),also removing the heat exchange contraption gave me more room to better access to house bank batteries # 1 (2 batteries) and different batteries cables and hoses going into the bilge and motor box.
Now have 4 house batteries, plus a dedicated space for a tool box , Perfect compromise for me.
A 30 ft sailboat with a water heater tank?
My choice was based on how to better use my limited locker room.
Replaced the hot water supply for showers with sun showers bags , they are on deck tied up to the handrails and run the longer added hoses thru the open port.
simple ,inexpensive, excellent control of fresh water used (carry 2)
Years ago cruised 4 years south of the border with my wife and we never missed our daily shower ,nor felt we were "camping" ,if she did not have this will have never accepted "cruising ",shampooing her hair was a must.
The "most cold shower)we ever took was on the beach wash down shower in Cabo San Lucas .
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 09:44   #28

Boat: Island Packet, 40
Send a message via Skype™ to saillr

On the subject of best salt water soap to use try Vel Beauty Bar (now called Vel Mild Skin Care Bar) if you can find it. I think it is still available in Europe and maybe South America. It was the best for suds, leaving you feeling really clean and my wife loved it for her hair. A quick rinse in fresh did not leave you feeling sticky. By Colgate-Palmolive. It is truly astonishing how well it lathers in salt water.
saillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 17:14   #29

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

We have lived aboard for 34 years. We started out in the Pacific North West and lived in the tropics for most of the last 24 years, with a few periods in temperate climates. We have always had instant hot water from a propane powered water heater available in the galley, head and shower. For dishes and showers we wouldn't do without it. It's been said frequently, and recently, camping out does not have a long term liveaboard prognosis.

They don't cost much ($125-$275), and it sounds like you are already plumbed for it. I can tell you from my own experience that you can install an "outdoor" one in a boat with good ventilation, and it will be safe and reliable.

Just don't mention it to dockhead.

This one is $125, In Mexico, totally automatic, and totally reliable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4583-Cinsa.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	219905  
Old 25-07-2020, 09:52   #30

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

Recommend you look at a propane fired flash heater. These can be had for $100 to $200 depending on the capacity you want. You can connect it to a freshwater spigot and have immediate, endless hot water! Compact enough to store when not needed. Do not remove your old system. You may find you like it best. These things are amazing and very efficient. Many come with complete plumbing as well including shower wand.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, calorifier, cruising