Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 04:10   #31

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Re: Cruising is a Philosophy

Do you want to think about going cruising, talk about going cruising, or go cruising?
You're thinking way too much

It doesn't take much, and you'll never get it all right before hand, so decide on the minimum lifestyle you'll accept, and that should be one that will be acceptable to your partner too, hound brokers until you know what suits you, then buy it and work out the rest as you go.

There is every kind of boat out here doing it, and they all have one thing in common.... they cut the lines and went.

The only philosophy you need is to be philosophical when things go wrong, or break, or dumb decisions come back to bite you in the butt. It's all part of the game...

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:57   #32

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post

The only philosophy you need is to be philosophical when things go wrong, or break, or dumb decisions come back to bite you in the butt. It's all part of the game...

Vic
That makes so much sense!
Old 12-10-2013, 05:23   #33

Boat: Catalina 380

Ummmmmmm, cruising is no more a philosophy than living life day to day in the suburbs is. It's a choice on how you sustain yourself, how you treat people, and how you impact the society in which you live. Good grief, I'm concerned that you're romanticizing this thing to the point that your expectations are going to be out of whack with reality!
KNoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:28   #34

Boat: 2004, Hunter 36

what I have learn is :

''it's not bout the boat''
Old 12-10-2013, 05:30   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Is cruising a philosophy?

No, just a very well kept secret .

A few qualities and skills that help make it easier and more pleasurable are having:

- The patience and knowledge to deal with endless repairs and maintenance (first and foremost)
- The courage to break free from convention
- A love of the sea and a healthy respect for it
- A sense of humour
- A measure of calmness in the face of adversity
- A lack of expectation with schedules
- A sense that real wealth is the sum of experiences, not possessions

Knowing what lines to pull, which way to turn the tiller and having a good anchoring technique also don't hurt .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:46   #36

Boat: contessa 32

Yeah, Bash , Art most definitely,even wearable art. Spirituality too,even without the rum.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:54   #37

Boat: contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Indeed. There are cruising philosophies, but that doesn't make cruising a philosophy.

I tend to think of it as an art.
Yeah ,Bash, Art most definitely,even wearable art. Sailing is very conducive to spirituality too ,even without the rum.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:56   #38

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

All you need to go cruising is a BOAT!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:03   #39
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sail everything, absolutely EVERYTHING before you buy. dont have to sail all models of each kind--get a good feel of what each kind of boat does and feels like then buy what turns your soul on.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:18   #40

Boat: Catalina 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormsailor View Post
Never did quite get that go with what you have but go now idea. More of a take your time build it solid and make it last kinda guy. I am sure that mindset is playing into our decisions thus far and I'm good with that. Never been impulsive nor casually reckless and have done ok with that way of maneuvering life and life's choices. And thanks for reminding me of that go now with what ya have idea. Would like to know what moves that type of thinking. Not suggesting it is fouled but it's totally opposite of my thinking process. Thanks,.....Mark
You have pointed out the boats that sit at the dock, tugging on their lines ready to go but never leave. These are the prime reason for the "go small, go now" philosophy. There will always be something else to do. You have to just push off the dock at some point and go!

In my mind cruising philosophy is all about freedom. Being as free as possible. Living as free as possible. And a cruising sailboat is the tool that allows that freedom. Escaping life in a box to being free in the open outdoors.

Fair wands,

Jesse
Old 12-10-2013, 07:53   #41

Boat: cal 2-25
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Do you want to think about going cruising, talk about going cruising, or go cruising? You're thinking way too much It doesn't take much, and you'll never get it all right before hand, so decide on the minimum lifestyle you'll accept, and that should be one that will be acceptable to your partner too, hound brokers until you know what suits you, then buy it and work out the rest as you go. There is every kind of boat out here doing it, and they all have one thing in common.... they cut the lines and went. The only philosophy you need is to be philosophical when things go wrong, or break, or dumb decisions come back to bite you in the butt. It's all part of the game... Vic
For the life of me I cannot stop thinking about this subject no matter how hard I were to try,..and I also enjoy talking about the subject with those that have similar interests. And as for the " go cruising ",...except for short week long adventures to south Florida and lots of weekend trips we have no much experience . Sailing experience I do have . I would think that our questions and long contemplated reservations have us at a place many have already been. Hence the reasoning in seeking certain opinions from those of you that have experience in such matters. Yes,,,I am guilty of over thinking things. Have been for most all of my adult life. Been in some serious sticky situations and seem to have automatically developed a serious tendency to put much thought into things...sometimes I'm sure to much. Not sure I understand how you would say " it doesn't take much " .

Otherwise all good advice to anyone with such thoughts. I have tried many times to bail out of the entire idea in that it all seemed to take way to much time and brain to figure out the methods of morphing our lives into an entirely different set or sets of circumstance . Nope....that's not gonna happen ,..so continuing forward ever so diligent is my now game.

I find there are many layers to people and what makes them act and react differently when sharing similar goals. That is more of what I would like to find in the responses to my suggesting that cruising is a type of philosophy . Not asking for any specific answers to any specific questions as most are answered for me at this point. This is not a quest regarding type boat design but more of a quest to understand what drives the thought process in all things cruising.

I respect most all of those on this very helpful site and look forward to hearing the thoughts and minds of those with serious experience. And those with little as well.

Thanks for taking the time to share your philosophy of cruising with those that take time to read it and are seeking such.

Mark
Stormsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:07   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNoel View Post
Ummmmmmm, cruising is no more a philosophy than living life day to day in the suburbs is. It's a choice on how you sustain yourself, how you treat people, and how you impact the society in which you live. Good grief, I'm concerned that you're romanticizing this thing to the point that your expectations are going to be out of whack with reality!
Very good outlook as a whole...especially the "how you treat people" . ....." Impact the society I which you live " comment is very thought provoking. We should all consider this in length.. No worries in me romanticizing anything is what me girl says to that one...lol. Got me in trouble with that comment ....please refrain kindly. I have no formed expectations in life as a general rule. That is the main cause of frustration for the human species.

Thank you for your input as it is respected immensely .

Mark
Old 12-10-2013, 08:13   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Is cruising a philosophy? No, just a very well kept secret . A few qualities and skills that help make it easier and more pleasurable are having: - The patience and knowledge to deal with endless repairs and maintenance (first and foremost) - The courage to break free from convention - A love of the sea and a healthy respect for it - A sense of humour - A measure of calmness in the face of adversity - A lack of expectation with schedules - A sense that real wealth is the sum of experiences, not possessions Knowing what lines to pull, which way to turn the tiller and having a good anchoring technique also don't hurt .
Agree with this completely ! Thank you for adding fresh thoughts and very valid mindset. Interesting list.

Thank you
Mark.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:15   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
Yeah ,Bash, Art most definitely,even wearable art. Sailing is very conducive to spirituality too ,even without the rum.
Agree ....what is it that drives the artist to create.

Thanks.
Mark
Old 12-10-2013, 08:18   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
sail everything, absolutely EVERYTHING before you buy. dont have to sail all models of each kind--get a good feel of what each kind of boat does and feels like then buy what turns your soul on.
Always great advice ! Your a very valuable soul to this site Zee.

Much respect your way.

Thanks
Mark