Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2017, 15:19   #16

Boat: Cutter-Rigged Pearson 39
Re: Cruising plans moved forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
I'm on 37 ft and it is perfect. Three cabins, one for me, one for my occasional guest and one to throw the mess in when they arrive.
I love the interior of your boat and it would be perfect. It is a very functional, but conservative 37 footer. I went aboard one at the National Sailboat Show a few years ago. If I win the lottery, that would be the one I'd buy and hire a captain to help me sail it back from Europe as they very rarely come to market in the USA.
montigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:58   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

HUMMM -- well as to the stuff to store or not. not to be to cold about this but when we got rid of our stuff we took a very practical approach - either we can get rid of it or our kids can when we die. Cold but hey if you ask for my opinion you get it straight. We kept a few keep sakes and that is all.

as for a boat - I have single handed my Jeanneau DS40 from Miami to Mass and back. She has great space and a go anywhere in the world boat. Not sure why you want to buy a cheap 40k boat and then spend 65k+ to fix it up - I would prefer to spend more on the upfront and less on the back side - but your choice

As for where you plan to sail ect - we do this on social security only - and we are not good sailors but are cautious and careful and safe sailors - and we did a 2 handed atlantic crossing -

good luck
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:48   #18
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post

as for a boat - Not sure why you want to buy a cheap 40k boat and then spend 65k+ to fix it up -
because that's what forum mind think says you are suppose to do, waste time and money doing "fix it up"
Old 01-05-2017, 05:14   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

There is no one right answer or single mindset as a path to find the right boat. Many find security in the new boat and others find a great resource in buying a used boat that has many upgrades.

I think that the least promoted pathway to a well found cruiser is to buy a boat with needs and spend double the purchase price trying to bring it up to proper function.

Personally, I think the best buy is the boat that a former owner has maintained well and added many upgrades. The sellers of these boats realize that the market will not allow then to recoup the expense of all that hey have put into the boat.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:15   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
because that's what forum mind think says you are suppose to do, waste time and money doing "fix it up"
What if it simply means you are really attracted to a certain style of cruiser that is no longer manufactured? I am looking for a solid cruiser, not a condo that will spend its time at the dock. I would be much more comfortable in a Catalina 36, but I am not sure I would be comfortable with it in open waters. Maybe my thinking is a little old fashioned, if so, educate me. I am willing to expand my position if it makes sense.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:26   #21

Also, the $65000 mentioned for upgrades and savings was not meant that I would spend the entire amount on upgrades. I would be looking for a very well-maintained boat, but I also realize, that there would still be work to do no matter how well it had been cared for.

Made the decision today to fully retire in 3 years, so that gives me 2 years with the current boat and 1 year to get my eventual cruiser. Cape Dory 36 and Tayana 37 added to my short list.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:36   #22

Boat: 1984 Moody 27

I find it hilarious when people say they are going to buy cheap and fix it up vs spend more on the boat. It doesn't matter what you buy, cheap , expensive, new, used, all of them are going to require additional investments.

Upgrading is a constant state of ownership. It's just like a house, only often more expensive to maintain. If you've decided to live aboard it is your home so plan on spending about what you would to keep up a 3-4 bedroom home each year.

Shedding your stuff is a matter of comfort and safety. You can keep a lot of useless stuff that is in the way as you move it from the top of the things you need or it takes up space under things you want to stow....OR...You can spend six months figuring out everything you use at least once a month and the rest can go to your kids, charity, yard sale, friends, or a dumpster. There is very little must have stuff. Keep your tools! (Except for that clutch alignment tool, you'll probably never need it again).

It seems on average it takes about two years to find and buy a boat that you want. There are exceptions, but I thought it was going to be a few weeks and two years later I was still shopping. Don't be in a hurry, but don't get hit with sticker shock either. Plan on replacing everything electronic on any budget boat. SURVEY SURVEY SURVEY! What might seem like a great deal, you might not be able to give away if you don't have a survey. Without it whatever you spend is better spent on a single night in Vegas. The risks are probably about the same.

Something else to think about when buying is that no matter where or how you buy, when you register it you are going to pay taxes on it. Then every year forever after that. Unless you find a country that allows you to register tax free. (Don't think there is one)
Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:54   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Solace View Post
Something else to think about when buying is that no matter where or how you buy, when you register it you are going to pay taxes on it. Then every year forever after that. Unless you find a country that allows you to register tax free. (Don't think there is one)
That statement must be based on a very limited sample.

No tax payable on second hand boats in quite a few countries including here and Australia where I bought my current boat (neither on purchase nor annually). No annual registration fees here either.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:54   #24
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by montigre View Post
What if it simply means you are really attracted to a certain style of cruiser that is no longer manufactured? I am looking for a solid cruiser, not a condo that will spend its time at the dock. I would be much more comfortable in a Catalina 36, but I am not sure I would be comfortable with it in open waters. Maybe my thinking is a little old fashioned, if so, educate me. I am willing to expand my position if it makes sense.
Your whole post is a signal that you have a mind set and it isn't based on being a cruiser, it's based on being a reader.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:43   #25

Quote:
Your whole post is a signal that you have a mind set and it isn't based on being a cruiser, it's based on being a reader.
I see where you could come to that conclusion. But for the few years I had my other boat, I also saw, first hand, very many people who just sat at the docks and never took their big, modern boats out. By the same token, those with the 30-40 year boats were usually out sailing them, but many were rather cramped belowdecks. And then, there were those who were so deep in refurbishing their dream boat, that they would never be able to leave dry dock.

So, no, I do not have a lot of cruising experience and this is the reason I have come on here with an open mind to gain some insight from those who have actually been doing it for a while versus those who have read a few good books on the subject.

So, should I consider the Catalinas and Benes as good cruising boats now? Or should I look more to some of the French makers of modern mass-produced boats? What, in my current thinking may come back to bite me?

I say again, please educate me and bring me into the 21st century as far as cruising goes. I really wish to learn and make the best decision when it is time for me to permanently move aboard--now in just 3 years.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:22   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I reviewed your original post and your goals. It seems to me that you have a background and judgement that will allow you to keep all your "cards on the table". There is no reason to discredit new or used, refit or turn-key, or knowledge by experience or reading.

The risk with shopping is not buying used or buying new. It seems to me that the risk is "falling in love" with a pretty sheer and tumble home that doesn't check all the boxes.

I would use another approach to define your search. Why not make a list of approximately ten critical features that you can objectively evaluate. As an example you could identify: hull configuration, rig, propulsion engine, tankage, electrical system, navigation electronics, cabin layout, galley, strength of construction, performance, and aesthetics. When evaluating a potential boat, use your list to assign a numerical value to each factor and give it a score.

I would rather buy the boat that has the highest score meeting my criteria instead of sorting them out by new or used or where they were manufactured.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:49   #27

I really like this approach--it will allow me to evaluate each boat with an apples-to-apples bias instead of playing Chinese checkers with all of the possible offerings.

I did not want to give the impression I was blindly excluding some boat manufacturers based on the opinions of others--I was in a Cat 30 during a TS for 12 hours and the crew and I felt totally beaten up by the time we floated into safe harbor. The boat handled the conditions surprisingly well, but made us physically pay for it every inch of the way. I was also in an Alberg 30 during a moderately windy day--the boat tended to be rather rolly-polly and much wetter than I would like in a cruiser. Those 2 boats of differing design would not make my short list.

As to size, this is just a guesstimation on my part as I am trying to imagine hoisting a large main on a 40+ footer with arthritic joints. I'm no longer the warrior princess I was when I was in my 40s, so I figured something in the 35-37' range would allow me and my cats a little privacy while still being relatively easy and safe to sail. This not from reading, but from introspection.
Old 01-05-2017, 13:42   #28

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I would consider 30' and up. The bigger the boat the greater the maintenance and the harder to single hand. Many 32' boats have space for luxuries AC, refrig-freezer, microwave, etc. Keep in mind conveniences like electric winches can fail creating a difficult situation. You want something you can handle under all conditions. You might consider a cutter rig for more sail options.
For shore transportation a folding bike is very doable. You can find an electric one for about $1000. I would get rid of the car. They just lose value in storage and when you need one renting is easy. Once you move aboard you will be amazed at the amount of stuff you had but no longer need starting with 90% of your clothing. Yes, if you dump everything there will be a few items you wind up replacing but unless you move back ashore most of your stored stuff will wind up dumped.
Good luck as you continue your planning.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 13:53   #29
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by montigre View Post
But for the few years I had my other boat, I also saw, first hand, very many people who just sat at the docks and never took their big, modern boats out.
Hell that's 90% of boats!!!!!!

I just got back from 2.5 months in the Bahamas and prior to that I came down the East Coast US. Well over 1/2 the boat are modern production boats and of those most people had an older "something" in the past and saw the light!

get whatever boat you want, owners of olders boats looking to sell are looking for people like you
Old 01-05-2017, 14:03   #30

Quote:
I just got back from 2.5 months in the Bahamas and prior to that I came down the East Coast US. Well over 1/2 the boat are modern production boats and of those most people had an older "something" in the past and saw the light!
Glad you're out sailing--meet some of the crowds in and around Annapolis.... I get it, some people just want a cool "cabin on the water" or a slick party palace and that's okay. If I wanted to do the same, I would be speaking with them instead of being insulted here.

But my skin is tough and like I said before, I am here to learn from those with practical experience who are willing to share, even if I have to take a few on the nose to get there....

What were the other 1/2..? My guess, older classic plastic cruiser/racers like I am considering.

What exactly are the advantages that you see with the modern production yacht that I obviously am not?

Tags
cruising