Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2016, 05:50   #61

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Dating, Relationships livingaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I would not say they are looking for a 'Provider'.. more likely a 'Defender' to help protect her young and give stability..
Leo generally just lays around waiting for the women to get back with his MacEmu...
Yes, I agree. I could have worded that differently.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 06:04   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Dating, Relationships livingaboard

Back 35 yrs ago I met a girl of 17. She was living with her Father who had remarried and she had Stepsisters. She was so well loved that for Christmas her Stepmother gave her luggage.
Think she was looking for all those things those predatory females you guys are talking about? She dropped out of school and came out with me to Oklahoma and later we Married and bang right away she gets Pregnant.
Falls right in line with what you guys have been saying right?
Except she went to school and got her nursing degree and later her Teachers certificate.
Now there was a time where just like you guys said she decided she didn't need me anymore. But I didn't give up and it didn't take her too long to decide that I wasn't as bad a guy as all her divorced buddies were telling her I was, and that life as a divorced middle aged woman wasn't all the fun she had been led to believe.

So 35 years later, the kids are almost gone one left to go to College next year, and she has decided she will go cruising with me.
I believe we are more in love now than at any time in the past, Sex is as good, no actually better for both of us even though we have both lost our looks.
I'm looking forward to I hope 20 more years with this Woman, because to be perfectly truthful I wouldn't know what to do without her.

It can work, there are good people out there. Yes you do have to make concessions and as long as both are doing that you can live a long, and happy life together

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 06:10   #63

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Back 35 hrs ago I met a girl of 17. She was living with her Father who had remarried and she had Stepsisters. She was so well loved that for Christmas her Stepmother have her luggage.
Think she was looking for all those things those predatory females you guys are talking about? She dropped out of school and came out with me to Oklahoma and later we Married and bang right away she gets Pregnant.
Except she went to school and got her nursing degree and later her Teachers certificate.
Now there was a time where just like you guys said she decided she didn't need me anymore. But I didn't give up and it didn't take her too long to decide that I wasn't as bad a guy as all her divorced buddies were telling her I was, and that life as a divorced middle aged woman wasn't all the fun she had been led to believe.

So 35 years later, the kids are almost gone one left to go to College next year, and she has decided she will go cruising with me.
I believe we are more in love now than at any time in the past, Sex is as good, no actually better for both of us even though we have both lost our looks.
I'm looking forward to I hope 20 more years with this Woman, because to be perfectly truthful I wouldn't know what to do without her.

It can work, there are good people out there. Yes you do have to make concessions and as long as both are doing that you can live a long, and happy life together

Congratulations, I mean that. What I mentioned isn't about " predatory" or "good" thats us needing to use labels.

daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 06:14   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post

When dating, the boat -or rather, my refusing to move back to land and just go to the boat on a sunny Sunday afternoon- usually becomes a deal breaker.

Anyone who wants to change you to fit their idea of how you should be, can take a flying leap in my opinion. If who you are is a "deal breaker", then they are not worth the time.
To me, a female liveaboard would exhibit a person that is independent and totally at peace with who they are, and that is more valuable than someone that "needs" me to define who they are. I don't need a "mirror" for a companion..someone who is being who they think I want..
For me, a good woman who also owns a boat is a plus, not a detriment.
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 06:32   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I actually agree with all that has been said. That is Human nature, I believe we are pre disposed to act in exactly the manner you guys describe.
I also believe we are pre disposed to be exceedingly violent, I see something I want, I take it, the weak will die off, survival of the fittest.

But we are not animals, we have the ability to decide. We have a culture where defense of the helpless is considered noble and honorable.
We have the ability to determine our own values and actions. We have a choice we do not have to give into our animal instincts

Old 19-04-2016, 06:46   #66
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dating, Relationships livingaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgilligan View Post
For me, a good woman who also owns a boat is a plus, not a detriment.
A+100..
1 in the Med.. 1 in the Caribe.. winters in the Islands and summers in the Med..
2 deliveries a year to keep the funds going.. and no more flying..
I could live with that..

or a bar..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 07:44   #67

Quote:

2 deliveries a year to keep the funds going..
Sounds like a perfect "job" to me..you need a first mate? Lol.
Old 19-04-2016, 08:25   #68

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

This has been a really good thread and I hope the op is taking it all in and it hasn't turned into a gun thread yet!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 09:57   #69

Quote:
Back 35 hrs ago I met a girl of 17. She was living with her Father who had remarried and she had Stepsisters. She was so well loved that for Christmas her Stepmother gave her luggage.

Truly a great story! As a three time divorcee, I like to hear of the great success in marriage's. My parents were married for 52 years before dad passed. I'm cool with being single now but well remember the pain of failed relationships and huge financial loss as the primary earner, starting over for retirement 3 times sucks!! Truly, Congratulations a64pilot. I hope you get another 30 years together.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 10:28   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I say this very much with respect. Im reading a book at the moment " sex at dawn" that is very well researched and does suggest that the "idea of romantic love" or marrying for romantic love is quite a new idea....in fact there are a number of cultures that dont have words to describe it. It also suggests that hardwired into female genes is the "looking for a provider" whether this at concious level or not. Men are hardwired differently. It questions the whole idea of the way we do relationships or at least why.
A couple of the posts may not be politically correct but the writers are entitled to an opinion, that opinion isnt nessacarily "ugly", in fact there may be some substance to it whether we like it or not.

The "romantic" part of marital relationship is quite recent phenomena, 150-200 years or so. Prior to that all the way back to the ancient times marriage and love were not connected. In fact for the most of human recorded history love was a subbranch of "madness". Practically all pre-industrial revolution marriages were of arranged or "economic interest" type where the sides were not expected to be in love, let alone madly in love. Perhaps respect, adoration, resignation, etc. but not love.

Today with excessive emphasis on love we are at a loss what to do with a marriage when that feeling of "love" subsided or becomes non-existent because for the past 150-200 years we have not been taught to enter into and to continue a relationship which has lost (or never had to begin with) its' "love" component. Thus, 50%+ (if not higher) of all marriages end in divorce, a true testament to the unworkability of that official legal model in modern times. Not saying that the old model of arranged marriages as better or would be workable today but that the current model is not working is quite evident on it face.

Each time my g/f of 10+ years brings up, however subtly, the subject of marriage I keep reminding her of a semi-facetious pact we jokingly made years ago. Back then we have agreed that if we find among all the people we know at least one (!) couple who is happily married for some lengthy time AND both of us would want to emulate their marriage and life together then we would discuss a marriage for ourselves. Forward 10 years we have yet to find such a couple. Although, according to some CF members, they do exist, we just haven't met one personally. ))

PS Of course there are couples which I consider model but not my g/f and vice versa.
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 10:40   #71
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dating, Relationships livingaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgilligan View Post
Sounds like a perfect "job" to me..you need a first mate? Lol.
Got a boat in the Caribe..??

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 10:47   #72

Quote:
Back 35 hrs ago I met a girl of 17. She was living with her Father who had remarried and she had Stepsisters. She was so well loved that for Christmas her Stepmother gave her luggage.
Aren't you a bit old for a 17 year old.

Getting her to drop out of school, marrying her and knocking her up all in the space of 35 hrs is an impressive effort anyway, well done
Old 19-04-2016, 10:48   #73

Quote:
Got a boat in the Caribe..??
If I did, I would not be sitting at this !@#$%$ Desk.
Old 19-04-2016, 10:50   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Aren't you a bit old for a 17 year old.

Getting her to drop out of school, marrying her and knocking her up all in the space of 35 hrs is an impressive effort anyway, well done
OK, fixed, it. My typing skills, well aren't skills. I'm so slow I often post only to find out I'm posting what someone else already said.

PS Our Daughter is 17, and we do not bring up our past to our 17 yr old.
Lord 17 is a child, I was 21 and she was 18 when she crossed state lines, I was no Felon
Old 19-04-2016, 11:07   #75

Boat: Gulfstar 50

This topic comes up from time to time much like the old "how much does it cost to cruise" topic. Truth is the dating on boats is the same thing, it's different for each person. If you do well in the dating pool on land you will do ok living aboard. The comments about keeping the boat and yourself in good shape are true and has always been what has worked for me. I still would like to find the perfect first mate as most I have found are far more interested in their nails and not breaking one than they are learning how to tack. I'm not saying that's all bad however many times I feel like I run a vip charter business for one. Just once I want to hear " just relax I'll tack".
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote