Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2021, 10:38   #1

Boat: Baltic 43
deep water slip or anchorage east coast florida

hello,
seeing if anybody had suggestions for a deep draft slip or anchorage for a sailboat on east coast of florida? need to accommodate a 8' draft, 13.8' beam, 43' sailboat. we're west coast residents but will be moving once retired and florida is what we are most interested in.
thanks
Silver_Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:07   #2

Re: deep water slip or anchorage east coast florida

I know not what you are asking, but consider selling the boat on west coast, you will get a higher price for it there, and buy a better suited boat in Florida.
Unless you just want to stay put and not move much, or its a racer then by all means, but 8' draft is going to be an issue on the entire east coast of the country, let alone east coast of Florida. And forget the Bahamas for the most part too.
Caleb_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 13:03   #3

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

Ideally, for Florida, you want no more than five feet of draft and 62-3 feet of air draft, unless your plans are limited to day sailing in the Atlantic and traveling to major ports.

The reason is that you will see 5 feet on occasion and 6-8 feet regularly in the Keys, one of the world's great sailing locales. You will see depths almost as shallow along the west coast of Florida, which has hundreds of miles of beautiful sailing.

With 8 feet, you would be limited to Port Everglades, West Palm Beach, Port of Miami and Key West as destinations in South Florida. On the west coast, you're looking at Tampa Bay and maybe a few other places.

I would also advise against anchoring or mooring anywhere in Florida on a long-term basis. Sooner or later, a hurricane will ramble your way. Your boat will end up on shore or at the bottom of the anchorage.

What you want is a well-protected marina with little fetch. Waves are what kill boats in hurricanes.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 14:41   #4

ok thanks for the replies. i know the limitations of my boat on the east coast, but wondering how others with deeper draft dealt with getting around. if i need to take my dinghy farther in to get to a dock or beach so be it. i was hoping some sailors who have similar drafts adjusted to the shallower depths and ways they overcame it.
not moving for 2-4 years and looking at other destinations, and countries.
thanks for the input
Old 05-09-2021, 08:54   #5

Boat: Manta 42 Mk IV Catamaran

"wondering how others with deeper draft dealt with getting around. if i need to take my dinghy farther in to get to a dock or beach so be it. i was hoping some sailors who have similar drafts adjusted to the shallower depths and ways they overcame it."

You are not getting it, and I can understand that, I was born and raised in Florida, ran aground the first time when I was 9. Moved to Californian and asked about charts, they said stay 20 feet off shore and you will be fine. I did not believe them, but it was true.

There are no cruising boats here with your draft! they go elsewhere. It's not that you have to anchor further out it's that you can't get within miles of the spots you will want to see. none of the channels in the Keys will accommodate your draft, the bahamas are going to be very limited with your draft.

The suggestion of selling your boat in California and buying something in Florida is something you should give serious thought to.

My Cat draws less than 4 feet and that is VERY limiting as to which passes we can get through.
Avionics_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:17   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

8' draft is workable (I once owned a boat with a 9' draft) but will be limiting both in where you dock and where you cruise. As you mention, a good dinghy will deal with some of the requirements to anchor farther out when cruising.

BUT, east coast of Florida covers a LOT of territory, close to 500 miles from Jacksonville to Key West. Also a huge variation in weather, local amenities, culture and cost.

Plenty of megayachts hand in Ft Lauderdale, Palm Beach and Miami so deep draft there not a problem, as long as you're ready to pay the cost. Coming from the west coast (I assume you mean US west coast as in CA and not FL west coast as in Tampa) expensive docking might not be a shocker to you.

South Florida also has warmer weather. North FL will get an occasional freeze in the winter. S FL also closer to the Bahamas and places you might want to cruise. Also good air connections to almost anywhere and lots of stores, marine supplies, shopping, restaurants. All that drops off to varying degrees as you go north. N FL the best air connections will be in Jacksonville. There are also some deep water docks in the area but not as much in the way of fine dining and shopping.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:32   #7

skipmac,
thanks for the reply and ideas, i understand the limitations of a deep draft boat, i experience that here on the west coast of california, sf bay. my own marina recently dredged the channel and fairways and slips. still with my previous baltic 37, with 6' 8" draft would hang up in the channel a few years after dredging.
i "get it" and dealt with it. i just time my cruise outs with the incoming high tide, usually coming to slack and go out and use the ebb to take me to the GG bridge. when flood came use that to come back in. go to angel island and want to belvedere cove, get close and drop a hook and take my dinghy to hit a restaurant in tiburon.
i'm keeping my boat, a baltic 43, i really not interested where i can't go, interested where i can.
yes, i'm used to high slip fee's and ready to pay for the right location.
thanks for your insight, i've checked some places around coral gables to miami. i'll keep looking as i'm not in a hurry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8ft draft.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	425.6 KB
ID:	244756   Click image for larger version

Name:	baltic 43 lb.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	244757  

Old 05-09-2021, 11:37   #8
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I know plenty boats cruising from Florida with 8’ draft. My slip has 16’ water.

Which is why I recommend Port Canaveral. It is outside the crazy prices of South Florida, but only an overnight sail to the Bahamas. You can go direct or make a stop in West Palm Beach, then cross.

I do agree with others that if you want to explore Florida itself, then a 4-5’ draft is better suited.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 13:01   #9

Boat: Hunter 33 Cherubini , Catalina 14.2

I would add Ft Pierce to the list .

Very straight forward inlet and some reasonably priced marinas.

Harbourtown Marina is inside the turning basin with air draft unlimited. Some larger boats anchor nearby. They also have a dry storage yard.

The inlet is maintained for smaller shipping so I would think your draft should be fine.

The downside of course is you'd be in the middle of nowhere.

Best of Luck with your transplant.
Secondshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 13:32   #10

Boat: Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
need to accommodate a 8' draft,

Unless your plan is to cross the Atlantic, I would recommend selling this boat and getting something else. You're going to find that an 8' draft severely limits your ability to navigate in the Southeastern US and the Bahamas.

But if you decide to keep it, I second the recommendation for Port Canaveral.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 13:46   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloroxbottle View Post
Unless your plan is to cross the Atlantic, I would recommend selling this boat and getting something else. You're going to find that an 8' draft severely limits your ability to navigate in the Southeastern US and the Bahamas.

But if you decide to keep it, I second the recommendation for Port Canaveral.
The 8' draft is ocean fine but inland cruising besides ST John's river is limited. Tides in southern Florida are not much to be relied on for transit. Need to get further north towards Georgia. I also think your air draft will be problematic- doesn't the Baltic have 62' stick?
I would agree with the Cape Canaveral or Jacksonville area.
Are you living on the boat full time?
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 14:02   #12
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

you can get in at Jacksonville with no problems but where from there? Maybe you can work out a deal with Mayport Naval Station
Old 05-09-2021, 14:52   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
you can get in at Jacksonville with no problems but where from there? Maybe you can work out a deal with Mayport Naval Station
I think he could get as far as Green Cove Springs. There are 3 marinas there, with lifts. Different price and clientele structures. Middle of nowhere, absolutely need a car. But if it is just for storage then fine.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 20:54   #14

thanks for the replies, and different locales to investigate virtually on my laptop. i'm willing to drive around 30mins to get to my boat, so i'm adding that to the mix.
just more saved searches on realtor.com
also i do plan to cross the atlantic at some point and we are looking at portugal and spain, some great marinas in spain, well maintained and each had a boat lift.
yes, the mast is 58ft from the coach roof approx., and i have the standard mast, tm version is a 1.5ft higher.

will check out Cape Canaveral or Jacksonville too.
thanks for all the input.
Old 05-09-2021, 22:51   #15
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
thanks for the replies, and different locales to investigate virtually on my laptop. i'm willing to drive around 30mins to get to my boat, so i'm adding that to the mix.
just more saved searches on realtor.com
also i do plan to cross the atlantic at some point and we are looking at portugal and spain, some great marinas in spain, well maintained and each had a boat lift.
yes, the mast is 58ft from the coach roof approx., and i have the standard mast, tm version is a 1.5ft higher.

will check out Cape Canaveral or Jacksonville too.
thanks for all the input.
Cape Canaveral has everything you’re looking for. We have a little place in “The Great Outdoors” golf & rv resort which is just outside Titusville and a 30 minute drive from Ocean Club Marina where we have the slip. You also have the famous Cocoa Beach and Melbourne within that 30 minute range.

We’re hauled out at Cape Marina now, which allows diy and have contractors for everything at hand as well. It’s right next to the marina.

Port Canaveral is a major cruise port so all deep draft and open ocean access free of bridges or other restrictions. In case of storms, there wasn’t a direct hit ever (they say this is why the Kennedy Space Center is there) but when threatened, the harbor is evacuated. When hauled, hurricane tie downs to ground anchors are used and when in the water,you move through the locks which stop the surge, across the Banana River into the Canaveral Barge Canal where you tie to the mangroves that line the canal a couple miles into Meritt Island. Excellent protection and said to be Floridas best hurricane hole. There is an 80’ air draught for power lines at the locks.

We didn’t venture onto the St John river at Jacksonville yet. We either departed/arrived offshore or went south, stopping at Ft Pierce and/or West Palm Beach before setting off across the Gulf Stream. We have explored South Florida and the Keys in the past but we’re only 6’2” draft and I would not recommend that for 8’ draft.

Edit: we know plenty cruisers enjoying the Bahamas with 8’ draft. May be a 1-minute longer dinghy ride but less mosquitoes in return so it’s a good deal.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, east coast, florida, water