Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2016, 13:32   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Detached Achilles tendon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Not detached, but my father tore both his Achilles tendons. And I've known others with hip and knee replacements among other things. In every case, the really key issue is to find the best surgeon and THERAPIST that you can. And then follow the therapy schedule exactly, neither more nor less intensively. If the therapist is any good (and some rehab centers have much better reputations than others) they will match up your schedule to what gives you the best recovery. Expect it will be a long grind but that a full recovery should be possible. In the meantime...how to favor that leg (favor both legs, you don't want to harm the other one) in a liveaboard situation may be difficult. If you have to go up and down a companionway, you may want to rethink that and have a long plank fitted, so you've got a handicapped ramp in the cabin instead. RFPITA, yes, but ask beforehand about what accommodations you need and try to get them out of the way. There are often therapy aids and other accommodation that you simply have to buy or build for yourself, insurance and medicare have their own queer rules about what they will or won't cover. If you explain your situation to the doctors and have insurance or Medicare, they may be able to send you to rehab, and keep you in rehab, longer than normal. "Home is not handicap accessible..." can play a big point there. An extra week in rehab will make a huge difference for you, so don't be too eager to say "Yeah, I'm doing great!" when they assess your recovery.
Hellosailor & Pelagic,

I had forgotten about the "home is not handicap accessible" issue, but now that you mention it, it could give up to 14 days in an interim physical therapy live in setting. And, yes, it could make a big difference. It is something for Pelagic to bring up both with the surgeon, but with the hospital PT staff.

Good with your surgery, man.

Jim and I are off sailing for a bit, but I'll be checking in when we're in internet range.

Ann
Old 04-12-2016, 15:47   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Detached Achilles tendon

Well, it has been an interesting week!.....

I had my surgery on Dec. 1st and they used a spinal anesthesia, so I was awake the whole time, but with my lower half paralyzed and me lying face down on the table.

After about 20 minutes, I heard lots of discussion, another surgeon had come in and the anesthesiologist wandered back to join in.

I asked ...what's happening?
.....and finally the orthopedic surgeon comes to the front and says...
" Good news, I made a mistake, it is not torn or detached, but a dislodged ball of calcium from possibly a previous tear... I was not going to tell you, but since you asked"

Now since Nov. 18th Surgeon had only examined my foot once on Nov. 21st at emergency, did only a "Thompson Test" to diagnose a detached Achillies Tendon.....Discounted the need for an MRI that I suggested and at 2 other consultations, never looked at leg even though I asked if she wanted to?

So basically this open operation was unnecessary!

Part of me is very happy that my recovery is about 6 weeks,

Part of me is really pi$$ed off at the unnecessary pain , risk and cost of opening up my leg.

FYI...this is what a Thompson Test is.
https://youtu.be/_YBUb1-yBX4

They proudly say....:
'It's more fun in the Philippines'

I just wish they would have less fun and pay more attention to doing their job. [emoji35]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote