Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2017, 10:59   #31

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Did you get rid of "everything"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeriMoonbeam View Post
As I contemplate how to transition to living aboard or something similar, I constantly think of getting rid of all my treasured junk. LOL! Especially one shoebox sized ceramic sculpture. And all the treasures.

SO, my thought - get rid of it unless it will fit in a safety deposit box or I think there is a very good chance that I can enjoy keeping it or need it. (OK, ideally, I'm going to do lots of time aboard various boats before I chuck everything - maybe - if I can afford it.)

I might end up finding courage I don't think I possess and try Benz's suggestion of Central American beach bumming & doing what crewing comes along (hopefully I'd get to pick & choose?). I'll have to ask if he'll come rescue me if I find myself stranded.

Anyway, how did you accomplish not just getting rid of everything, but things like, "What next?" What if I'm still working? What if I have to be here in a month to close on my house but now have no furniture, dishes...
I don't plan to keep my car. Is there a market for old Honda Civics in Florida? Better to get rid of it and hop on a jet?

And is there something obvious I'm forgetting? LOL! Help!

Sound confusing?
Also sounds like me with half a bag on. Half drunk.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 11:08   #32

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
My husband reluctantly parts with a repaired tool somebody's grandfather tossed at him 40 years ago and then when he needs it 15 years from now will point at me with the most accusatory look and tell me "I toldyou I would need that tool!!!!"

I'm not right or wrong, neither is he. I really think it's just how you're hard wired.
Good grief. My wife and I now know of the existence of partial clones for each of us.
Old 24-03-2017, 11:25   #33

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

We have given it All away twice...

Not moving on board a sailing vessel, but moving across the pond to Kauai.

We shipped the car, and a few boxes with clothes, photos, and computer.

Now, this was two homes worth, Erica moving from Seal Beach, Ca, and I from Huntington Harbor, Ca to Kauai Island , Hawaii. What we did not sell , we gave away o hauled piles of unused whatever to the trash bin.

We originally thought about storing it, but our move was to be permanent, and boxes and loads of stuff would cost way to much, to either store or ship.

The moves were easy, no hassels, and life was good.
We started out all brand new, in a semi furnished place, and kept adding our own new furniture thru the years. .

Then, afer 10 marvelous years , we wound up having to move back to the mainland, Dana Point,Ca, a small seaside town and harbor between LA and San Diego.

Same thing, we sold everything off, or gave it all away, on kauai, but shipped the car.

That was it, We had our clothes that we actually wore. We tossed , gave away, or sold of everything else......came into a totally empty place, and began all again.

The cost of shipping is just way out of hand, and Erica wanted to have matching, new furniture.

Do we miss any of those those " things and stuff " nope, we do not. We do have our framed photos up on the walls of the world sailing and travels .

Are we extremely happy, yes we are.

All of us are different, with different motivations, but paying huge amounts to ship or store in temp storing for years just did not compute.

Most people have garages so full of boxes of stuff accumulated over the years that they not only do not use, but they cannot even get their car or cars into the garage.

Also, it is very important as to your motivation to go cruising, or live on board, and how serious those plans are. If uncertain as to the duration, then it might be a good thought to stow some of your furnishings, paid, or wrangle some friends with a warehouse .

Also, all of that self storage program requires packing everthing in boxes, heavy moving, moving van fees, and maybe even getting injured or pulled whatever when doing all of this, and then moving it all again, if and when you return.
bvisailing32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 11:52   #34

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

LOL . . . I heard something on radio recently about cleaning house. Some fellow commented that he filled a storage locker with his "stuff" . . . a year later he went to the locker only to find a lot of people blocking his access. On inquiring as to what was going on, he was told; We're having a "garage sale" for renters wanting to dispose of stuff. He said he handed his locker key to the complex manager, signed off on his rental contract and just walked away. He added, he didn't miss a thing, only the $150/month he paid out over the past year.

As is often said, if you haven't used it over the past 12 months, ditch it because you don't need iit.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 12:37   #35

I have done it twice. Sell and give, move aboard.

Go back to land buy stuff again, sell move aboard.

No worries mon.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 12:41   #36

We rented a storage space. I am incredibly grateful we did. You cant replace some of those treasures. In the heat of going to "life aboard" you must remember not everybody spends the rest of their life cruising. In fact most don't.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 12:53   #37

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
We rented a storage space. I am incredibly grateful we did. You cant replace some of those treasures. In the heat of going to "life aboard" you must remember not everybody spends the rest of their life cruising. In fact most don't.
That sounds like a sensible approach. The OP didn't even sound committed or maybe seeing sailing as a panacea.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 13:25   #38

Boat: Albin Vega

Only you can ultimately say if the value of your things is worth the hassle of having them.

Before chucking all of your things, maybe try storing them elsewhere to get an idea of what it's like to not have them. Sell what you can do without.

Maybe haul the stuff you can't live without to a storage locker in Florida.

Personally, I've been quite minimalist my whole life. Any time I've bought things that don't serve a purpose regularly in my life I've regretted it. I also notice a lot of extra work goes into repairing or maintaining things on boats that aren't necessary. If you're like me and would rather not spend money and time on extras, you'll be able to spend more time just enjoying the world around you
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 14:04   #39

I am going through the process as I type, things that I never thought I would let go of...at first it was very stressful, but after a while it becomes liberating because all that stuff is something that you have to maintain or use. Downsizing makes your life easier and much less stressful. Most of the things that I really wanted to keep I make sure that my family got anything that they wanted and then I had a buddy that allowed me to put a shipping container in his yard so thankfully I'll have some super cheap storage. And as I am doing this I realize that the stuff that makes it to the storage container is all going to be pretty much temporary as I am sure that I will be going through this container again getting rid of stuff again and again while I figure out what I can keep on the boat. Once you start thinning things out it gets easier. .you start to realize that it's just stuff and you have to think about where you're going and how long is it going to be before you can come back to this stuff. You have to make some decisions are you really going to cut the cord? I can tell you from my experience it's one of the hardest things I've ever done and am still in the process of doing but strangely enough I honestly do find it liberating and I'm looking Forward to getting on board because it's something that I have been working to do for many years
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 14:12   #40

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Naaaa, keep it all and do what I do. Rent a 6 X 10 ft. heated storage locker cram it all in pay $67.00 a month and once a year visit it. It's sort of like Christmas all that stuff you never see never use and no one else on the planet would ever want. Or, put it all on Craig's list at exorbitant prices and wait for the telephone to ring. Get a good book because the telephone will never ring as no one else has the same interest. Good luck!!
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 15:06   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I'm sitting here in my shore home after 45 years of living aboard and I'm surrounded by all the same things that I had on my boat except all the new platforms and containers that I had to buy for my stuff.

I had to buy two shore side platforms that are known as frames, box springs and mattresses to replace the berths on my boat. I had to buy six pieces known as dressers, desks, or cabinets to replace the function of the shelves and lockers on my boat. I bought a dozen units for sitting upon,- a sofa, chairs, bar stools, and patio chairs to replace the function of the same number of places where people could sit on my boat. I have a dining room table to replace the main cabin table. I have a patio table to replace the table at my binnacle.

I must admit that some of my seating is far more comfortable than what was on my boat, but the volume required for all these land items is difficult for me to understand.

Not to worry, though, I do have one chair placed in the middle of a walk in closet that allows me comfort in a smaller, dark space where I can play music and anticipate a disturbing wake that never comes.
Old 24-03-2017, 15:07   #42

Got a little lock up for tools, sports/dive gear and things. Photos and small family bits and pieces going to family members but can't wait to throw all my junk away. Hopefully will be aboard full time by June. Almost OCD about living clutter free. Really can't wait. As much as you think some stuff is valuable it's so liberating after a trip to the local tip.
johnyhask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 15:20   #43

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post

Not to worry, though, I do have one chair placed in the middle of a walk in closet that allows me comfort in a smaller, dark space where I can play music and anticipate a disturbing wake that never comes.
That one gave me a belly laugh!
Old 24-03-2017, 15:49   #44
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
We never got rid of things in order to move aboard. We moved aboard just out of college when all we owned would fit in the trunk of a small car.

There's a great freedom in non-ownership!

We just moved to shore in our seventies due to some physical limitations and we're finding that there's some adventure in having stuff too! Two months ago we bought the first piece of furniture ever. 'had to have a bed.
Wowza!
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 16:19   #45

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

A good purge is good for the soul.

A couple times in my life already, I have sold everything except what would fit in my car. I can't really think of anything I miss out of all that junk. You can always buy more stuff...thrift stores and kijiji are full of stuff that's free or almost free. Visit a thrift shop and see if you recognize some of the things you are holding onto...then look at the price...$1.

If you are lucky, a friend or relative with a big house will let you store a couple boxes. Like others have said, you'll keep them for a decade or so, till you forget what's in them, then toss em out.

I know plenty of people who live in big houses that look just like the fancy house magazines. They spend all their money on expensive furniture, TV's, drapes, carpets, and upgrades to their house. As you know, a house is just a boat that is so poorly designed it will never be launched. I feel bad for those folks...what good is a fancy house? A boat is something to have...a boat will take you away.

The only things I really want to keep are my tools. I have some nice big wrenches. But everything is replaceable. I've sold my boat 8 times. I've sold my dinghy, my outboard, my car...nothing lasts forever. Remember, you own the stuff, don't let the stuff own you! You can't take it with you. And in the end, its the ride that counts, the adventures, the friends, the memories. Those are yours forever.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote