Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2020, 13:53   #31

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Dinghies and surf landings

I started cruising with a hard dinghy (8' Fatty Knees) with 8' spoon-tip cedar oars. Landing on beaches was never a big problem: watch the wave pattern and time the final run in, then jump out and quickly walk the dinghy up the beach. Of course shorts and good sandals are a must (every crew member should have a good pair of sandals that are strapped on and can take repeated immersion - no leather) but be prepared for a dunking just in case. If heading ashore for clearance then all papers and passports sealed in a waterproof bag. The larger problem is getting off the beach, and some beaches are better than others. Planting the oars (literally, in the sand) and pulling hard as the wave comes in and lifts the dinghy can work well - unless the next wave is a large one: timing is everything. Once I got the hang of it I rarely had a problem, but I occasionally chose to stay aboard rather than risk it. I was anchored off of a national park in Costa Rica and didn't dare try to land (which I wanted to do so I could see the park); a park ranger came down on the beach and gesticulated for me to come ashore and pay the fee - we were both unhappy but no way.

When I switched up to a RIB and 15hp outboard I switched down in terms of beach landings. As before, timing the drive into the beach wasn't a problem. But getting off was much more difficult. A RIB presents a bluffer, wider bow to the waves and is heavier so the forces go up when pointed out waiting for the run out. The Aussie video where they can power back and forth before tackling the break is not common where I cruised. Usually getting enough depth for the outboard was a problem, and with the outboard down it can ground when a wave pushes it back - which encourages the bow to twist off quickly putting the beam to the waves. I remember one night swamping the RIB in really modest waves - it wouldn't have happened with the hard dink. I often chose to just use the big oars with the RIB and leave the outboard on Carina.

While the hard dink was better in the surf I still found that the RIB was more useful overall. YMMV. Quality wheels can be very useful, especially in areas with high tidal ranges (Pacific coast of central America, Atlantic coast of Europe) for landing at low tide and pulling the dink up above high tide. The small 5" wheels are worse than worthless, unless your beach is paved ; they dig furrows in the sand and make it harder to pull. One popular brand of larger wheels was famous for its plastic hubs breaking. Sturdy wheels are the exception, not the rule. I found a set that are built like landing gear and can be deployed/recovered without ever putting a hand in the water - and they are built incredibly stout. I bought them and really like them; I've never seen them for sale again - just the one time at the one store.

Let me repeat: having a good pair of sandals is essential for cruising. Those that close with Velcro will not hold up long; buy only those that have a buckle and only use Velcro for adjusting the length. There is something about repeated use of Velcro in wet environments that kills it, but if left mated it holds up fine. Leather must be avoided as it can rot quickly, and in the process becomes incredibly stinky. I like the designs that use thin wet suit material to cushion the webbing. In case it isn't obvious, you really don't want to make a habit of landing a dink barefoot: between broken glass and other sharp objects, and spiny sea urchins you want the protection. And just a few feet out of the water the sand can burn the bottom of your feet quickly. Buy good sandals...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 14:56   #32

I have had rigid and inflatable dinghies rolled in the surf in many parts of the world as well as successful landings.
Puerto Madryn, Argentina, was our largest and constant challenge when visiting there. strong wind onshore, steep sloping beach, constant breaking waves.
After rolling once with 10ft inflatable and 6hp outboard we opted for the following:
Remove outboard from dinghy and leave on mother ship.
Paddle to surf - we were two to four on board - have largest and best swimmer jump overboard and hang onto painter, with bow into the surf. He swims the boat in, stern first. Works every time.
Going out, same person gets in water, tows boat by painter into the surf until past worst of it, climbs onboard and all paddle with vigour.
If single-handed, go to surf line, no outboard, and have an anchor ready and a very long line. Toss the anchor out with bow into the surf, gradually pay out line to let the boat slowly back to beach. Be sure you have enough line to get to the beach, as running short when still some distance from the beach creates a dilemma: let the anchor line go?; buoy it and hope to pick up on the way out?; retrieve anchor and try again?
When going out the surf, tow the boat through the surf with the anchor line, retrieve anchor and row with vigour.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 16:38   #33

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

surf lifeguards in Oz are pretty expert at handling boats in surf...and even they can get it wrong !

[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	right.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	208265[/ATTACH]

answer is lots pf practice...be ready to get wet...and don 't push your luck

cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wrong.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	208264  
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 17:20   #34

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY Kelpie View Post
I've had two or three scary moments now involving dinghies and surf breaks on beaches. I think I may finally be learning to approach beaches with caution, and watch and listen for the break which can be very hard to see from seaward.

What strategies can be used to safely deal with surf landings? I know that there will be some beaches, on some days, that are simply impossible to land on or leave safely. But I'd like to get more confident again and learn about what to do, especially in those situations where you surf in safely but are potentially stuck ashore.

Secondly, can a different choice of dinghy help? I don't know whether big and powerful is better, or small and light.

Maybe once we are sailing somewhere warmer, we will just anchor the dinghy and swim ashore??
From our experience there is no question, the boat must be very buoyant. That to me means a full inflatable with high-pressure floor, such as a Zodiac Fastroller. With that HP floor, they have a reasonable 'V', plane well, and the entire boat is buoyant - not just the sponsons. If you are like us, where it is usually just the two of you, somewhere around the 3-3.5 metres length seems about right. Room for another couple of guests when required, but a nice size to zip around in. The other big plus is when you are finished with it, you can roll it up, put it in a bag and stow in a locker or spare cabin.

Motor - ideally a 15HP 2-stroke if you can get one. Light enough to handle, and powerful enough to get you out of trouble (ours planes at 20 knots with two up, and can tow a knee board as well) If you can only get a 4-stroke, then I suggest you will have to make do with 8-9 HP. We have a 6HP 4-stroke in the Med (trying to find a 2-stroke like we have back in Aus), and it will plane the same sized Zodiac, but not as impressive by any means.

As for those big ones, I was cruising along a far north New Zealand beach with my wife and elderly parents many years ago. Beautiful beach, and skimming along that nice calm water you get well back from the breaks. All was fine, but sixth sense made me glance back to see a rogue wave more than two metres above us, just starting to crest. Split second decision - head to shore and probably have an issue getting out again with my parents (it was a remote beach - no habitation, no boats, nothing - we were very much on our own), or take the wave on. I decided on the latter, shouted for people to hang on to the bow, and we just got over the wave (and behind that wave was it's brother, then all was calm again). If we did not have that 15HP outboard, we would have had no chance, and would have had to run into the beach, then somehow get the boat along the beach behind a little islet to get out again.

Lessons:
Youth (I was 26 at the time) got away with it, but years bring more prudence
Power is good if you can stow and handle the weight that comes with it
A very buoyant boat is essential.

Generally re surf beaches - depends on the beach.
1. If you cannot see an area where you can get out from again (further along the beach, behind a reef or islet etc), then it's not worth it. Surf can change quickly with wind and tide - don't get stuck in a situation where you take risks.
2. If steeply shelving, just go in on the back of a wave, lift the motor at the last second, one person out either side and pull up out of the water fast.

3. If a gentle slope, then same thing, but as soon as out, spin around and start walking back, using the waves to get you higher and higher up the beach.

4. Make sure you have a way to dry out the motor if you do get swamped. Freshwater is a good start, then a dry rag or towel, and a bit of sun.

I hope that and the others experiences help you with choosing what is right for you.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 13:07   #35

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@Kelpie, et al,

We have never used wheels, but do use a fender as a roller under the dinghy when hauling it up a beach. Put it under the bow, support the stern, and walk uphill. Repeat, as often as necessary. Also, we have two painters, one quite long, to reach that far away tree to tie to. One works stuff out as one goes along. We also have installed stern cleats, for convenience and control of the stern anchor. [Sometimes it's necessary to hold the dinghy off a pier., or something else.]

Ann
Old 15-02-2020, 04:23   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

I had one of those highly experienced crew members aboard who assured me he knew exactly how to do it safely. My 10 hp engine even after rebuilding after we flipped everything was never the same.

My kayaks are much easier to get safely on and off shore. Just hop off it and walk in last few feet and tow it behind you when heading out. Of course you have to be coordinated to get into the kayak.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote