Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 08:10   #61

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Disillusionment with cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
. . . I found a wonderful lady Christine who thinks the same as I do.
We built a 43 ft motor/sailor trimaran and are leaving (finally) for Indonesia and the phillipines this weekend.
NO going back.
Well over the decades I have heard those words many times and not too long later heard the same people exclaiming the exact opposite after one or two "experiences."
- - The long term cruising community is small and unique for a variety of good reasons. Mostly as few people have the mentality to deal with the glory and the guts of actually doing it. There are several CF posters who have had some good times and then all of a sudden their partners depart or tell them it is time to quit this foolishness and grow up and go back to land.
- - However, the only and I mean only way to find out if the lifestyle is for you is to actually go out and do it. The reality of the long term cruising lifestyle is quite different from the romantic portrayals in magazines, movies, and forums.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:36   #62
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
I think this is one of the most profoundly truthful responses so far. And can apply to any situation we place ourselves in. I'd go further and take a more buddhist viewpoint - all of these things are cravings. If it wasn't sailing, it would be something else we want. There is no meaningfulness in anything - sailing etc. We project meaning and importance. Once you let go of that and just be, you will find a greater freedom.

Don't be a Walking Ghost.
Man stands in his own shadow and wonders why it is dark?

Personally the only time my ADD addaled brain is quiet is at the helm watching the world go by or in zazen. It's been said to grow where you are planted but if you are tropical plant by nature the frozen north isn't where you belong. Do you belong on a boat?

Redfish as has been pointed out everything is magnified in the cruising life. The highs are exhilarating like when you survive a storm you thought was gonna kill you (been there done that) to the lows later when everything goes wrong at the same time....

Only you can walk your path. I wish you well.
Noname1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:14   #63

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandAnitas34 View Post
" No matter where you go... there you are. " There is no more validity in sailing over touring in a Winnebago, on a motorcycle, or even living out of a U-Haul box truck. If you do not know yourself and seek that knowledge in a boat, be assured that its not the boat that will deliver insight. Looking outside will never illuminate the questions you hold in your heart.
Excellent point. The more you learn about the world you live in the more you learn about yourself.

There may be no place like home, but I would like a break from 6AM drive to work in bumper to bumper traffic so I can give most of it to the Government in taxes and the rest to basic living expenses. At least in the middle of the ocean, I will be able to go a few minutes without someone knocking on my door asking for money.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:58   #64

Boat: a sailing boat

Hi,

I am afraid the only way to know (for you as for anybody else) is to go at it and risk the disillusionment (or not). Such an attitude is not recommended when one learns swimming, but very much so when they want to learn the taste of an apple.

The chances are, you are the 'disillusionment type' - as you already seem to be disillusioned - with your "...job, pension, wife...". It is easy to go from one disillusionment into another, such too is human nature. But then again, there is no rule, as long as there are some regularities.

Nothing can be gained by knowing 'how many'. You are trying to gain more data to make a reasonable decision while the issue you seem to have is not rational, it is (it sounds) - emotional. And trying to please your emotions by making well-informed decisions is like telling a yelling baby: 'stop crying, there is no reason to cry!'. It will not work, unless the baby is dead scared of the voice. And a baby dead scared of its own voice will never derive any pleasure from its life, cruising, city, or otherwise.

You do not have to live aboard to have a fulfilling cruising life. In fact, many of my friends cruise (extensively!) when they can, then come back to their land life to take care of their businesses and families. Have a good look at your situation and see if such a part-time cruising is possible for you. If it is not, maybe you can make an effort in this direction?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 15:27   #65

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Disillusionment with cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
totally disillousioned with life on the land in the 1st world,the people suck,9-5 sucks ,the police state sucks,the weather sucks,the cost of living sucks,fuel prices suck,retail rip off prices suck,local politicians lining their pockets suck,speed limits suck,not being able to own guns sucks,nobody smiles sucks, the petty crime sucks................may be time to go sailing again soon.............

That's my take too.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 17:10   #66

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
Re: Disillusionment with Cruising?

I like this thread! Some very interesting thoughts. One thing's for sure about the cruising lifestyle; it aint easy. When you look at the life threatening risks alone that are involved, I would say cruising was never meant to be easy. Hardship is a heartbeat away at any given moment and it's doubtful getting accustomed to hardship (no matter how many times you go through it,) ever becomes "easy". Easier maybe... There are some good times, for sure, too.
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 17:50   #67

I live in Australia and I am disillusioned with the way Australia has changed.
I prefered life in earlier days but that has all gone and won't be coming back.
Too much government interference with day to day affairs, and the people fall for it. Not realising that the more government rules we have the less freedoms we have and it all costs more.

I like the idea of a boat life, and up anchor if I don't like the "view", and the experience of different cultures.
It does not have to be hard I am not "camping" or eating "hard tack"
GPS, Solar panels, refrigeration and weather forcasting make it easy.

I have seen a couple of people "give up".
They started too late in life with not enough money.
Usually it is the wife who gives up. but as my cruising friend says, another one always comes along.
We had a guy here after a week of cruising came in with a blocked toilet and asked who he could get to clean it for him.
We all laughed,
He didn't last very long.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 18:08   #68

I think money is the number one reason for quiting.
Was for me on my first boat.
So far no issue on this one.
Cruising/living aboard is a wonderful life- no need to be "circumnavigating" constantly - just hanging out in cool places - and just "messing around in boats" - nothing better.
Good luck to everyone on there adventures/fulfilling dreams.
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 18:14   #69

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Too much government interference with day to day affairs, and the people fall for it. Not realising that the more government rules we have the less freedoms we have and it all costs more.

I like the idea of a boat life, and up anchor if I don't like the "view", and the experience of different cultures.
It does not have to be hard I am not "camping" or eating "hard tack"
GPS, Solar panels, refrigeration and weather forcasting make it easy....
+1 +1 +1
Agree totally. It's exactly where we're at too.
This post along with Atoll's 'sucks' post says it all. The fact that my house hasn't sold in 8 months sucks too, by the way

What I can't work out is, after hundreds of years of democracy, we should have smaller, mainrtenance governments. All the legislation we need to live in a safe and civilized society was enacted decades ago.
Now all we need is a caretaker government to update a few things...
A minister for each department, with half a dozen staff to type letters, a healthy opposition, and someone to make the tea and coffee.

Oh yes... and a chinese interpreter

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 18:17   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Sometimes I wonder what I'm missing!.......... "Life is easier on land"...."Probably cheaper"...."a boat is sub-standard housing". Could I be miserable and not know it? My wife and I are in our fortieth year of liveaboard cruising and we've never had a house. We raised our children aboard and they have gone off to lives in houses,-
They seem to be doing well. Sometimes we rent a car and drive about and spend some time in motels. I guess that's not like a house. I do remember growing up in my parent's house as a child, but I don't know what I might be missing. When we are cruising and living on the thin slice, with most of what we see as sky and water, we have no awareness of what we are missing and we are not spending money. It's very difficult to spend money when you are not ashore! Our 40 plus years marriage has been enhanced by a life of shared endeavor, close communication and times of isolation from the mass of life ashore. Illusioned with cruising, Aythya crew
Old 09-04-2011, 18:21   #71

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Quote:

Same story here. They've almost legislated safe pooping methods for us here in California. When they do, I'm sure they will tax our poop as well.
I'm ready to go where they don't care how I poop.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 19:17   #72

i am heading for the Phillipines. I have not been there before but a number of cruisers say it is very good.
Cheap, we have our house(boat) and we can move from island to island. or country to country.
From Qld Australia I can day trip (pretty much) all the way to the phillipines.
I believe a multihull makes life a lot easier in tropical waters, shallow draft the ability to beach etc
Buying a mono just because they are cheaper but are not practical in tropical waters makes no sense to me.
Safety is NOT an issue if you know what you are doing and as Dave from "Maxing out" says, dont sail over 10 knots.

and "there is NO rough weather if you do not have a schedule"
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:52   #73
CLOD

Boat: none

My current boat has very little wood, I expect this to cause boredom and and lead to disillusion. I expect boredom due to the lack of being able to slow down to be the biggest hurdle cruising. I guess this could also be looked atr a money issue because if you have enough money you normally can find something to do.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 13:47   #74
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
What I can't work out is, after hundreds of years of democracy, we should have smaller, mainrtenance governments. All the legislation we need to live in a safe and civilized society was enacted decades ago.
Now all we need is a caretaker government to update a few things...
A minister for each department, with half a dozen staff to type letters, a healthy opposition, and someone to make the tea and coffee.
Yes I suppose all thoses laws about horse traffic are still required and the laws 're swords. Really democracy is a living changing thing and that's why it is how it is.

Dave
Old 10-04-2011, 14:05   #75
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Disillusionment with Cruising?

I'm constantly disillusioned with cruising...
But I love going back out there fairly often to confirm this fact....
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising