Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2015, 12:29   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Dive Scuba compressor

It isn't actually the startup that we have to worry about. Although the 110 version can draw up to 75 amps starting current. The problem really occurs when there is too much load on the generator and the voltage drops. That drop increases the amperage in the whole system. I have had guys tell me that their entire electronics collection was turned to scrap by the electrical system going nuts. One other thing to note is that water in the fuel or other problems of the generator causing a temporary slowdown while the compressor is running can also really drive up the amperage and burn out electronics.

rcontrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 07:47   #17

I have a Bauer (completely overhauled) Compressor with a 7 hp motor. It will fill a 80 cu tank in 12 min. Twin filters. Fill hose. replacement filters. Gallon of oil. Perfect for a boat installation. Located in S. FL east coast.

Asking $6300.00
vma214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 07:51   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by vma214 View Post
I have a Bauer (completely overhauled) Compressor with a 7 hp motor. It will fill a 80 cu tank in 12 min. Twin filters. Fill hose. replacement filters. Gallon of oil. Perfect for a boat installation.

Asking $6300.00
Hi VMA and welcome to the forum.

Since this is your first post you may not know that this is a global forum so would help if you mention what country your located in to sell the compressor.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 12:08   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by vma214 View Post
I have a Bauer (completely overhauled) Compressor with a 7 hp motor. It will fill a 80 cu tank in 12 min. Twin filters. Fill hose. replacement filters. Gallon of oil. Perfect for a boat installation. Located in S. FL east coast.
7 hp is a pretty good sized motor. It will take a fairly strong genset to run it since, at single phase, that would draw about 35 amps.

Old 19-10-2016, 12:13   #20

Yes, it would take a larger genset. This is not made to go on smaller vessels. Although, you could easily change the motor to suit your needs. the motor is the easy part of the compressor to modify.
Old 19-10-2016, 13:09   #21
nwn

Boat: Grand Soleil 52

I am thinking about getting a Hookah system. Have you built your own or have you bought one? Anything you can recommend?
nwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 13:36   #22

Im not real familiar with those systems. It is completely dependent on what kind of diving you want to do.
Old 25-03-2017, 13:28   #23

So....the coltri has a 2.2kw electric motor, but needs 42 amp 220v in startup. The gasoline driven ones has 5hp which equals 3700W but effiency is much less.

Sounds weird I would need 10kw inverter (ok most inverter has peak at double, so let say 5kw) when the petrol motor at 3700 can run it? Explain plz

How does the energy graph look like. It draws more energy when pressure is increasing. How about the last 20%?

To fill a 300 bar bottle. How much energy to fill 10L 300 bar?
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 13:59   #24

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
So....the coltri has a 2.2kw electric motor, but needs 42 amp 220v in startup. The gasoline driven ones has 5hp which equals 3700W but effiency is much less.

Sounds weird I would need 10kw inverter (ok most inverter has peak at double, so let say 5kw) when the petrol motor at 3700 can run it? Explain plz

How does the energy graph look like. It draws more energy when pressure is increasing. How about the last 20%?

To fill a 300 bar bottle. How much energy to fill 10L 300 bar?
According to this page they're suggesting that at "2.2 kW full load" it will take "10 L 0-200 bar 25 min", even though it goes to 300 bar. So the first 200 bar will use nearly 1kWh. Like you I'm also curious what the fill time is to 300 bar. My guess is, it's over an hour. The first part is easy-peasy. Packing those molecules in tightly is the hard part
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 15:05   #25
Marine Service Provider

It is actually pretty linear on a newer machine. So 300 bar will add about 50% more time than 200 bar.

Old 25-03-2017, 15:19   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcontrera View Post
It is actually pretty linear on a newer machine. So 300 bar will add about 50% more time than 200 bar.
Ok, anyway, there would be more energy consumed for the last 50% cause the compressor would need to work harder. Wouldn't it?
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 15:54   #27
Marine Service Provider

While the compressor is linear in capacity, the electrical motor isn't. The motor isn't. It will draw a lot more power as the pressure goes up. On the 115 volt motor, we are looking at 29 amps at full pressure (4500 psi). If you have additional loads on the generator, it could exceed the rated amperage so it is best to just run the compressor by itself.

Old 25-03-2017, 16:59   #28

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Here is a link to a rather smart method where a chap is driving both his watermaker and dive compressor from solar on a small outboard powered catamaran. The link is well worth checking out and is a solution to using large generator as recommended by Bauer

The chap is a air conditioning electrician using 240 inverter and 3 phase electric motors with a variable speed drive. This could help solve your fuel issues with plenty of solar.

https://diy-yachts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1117

"The line of thinking about the energy requirements on my boat hasnt changed from day one- rather than run super expensive but efficient equipment, its cheaper overall and also more flexible to spend the dollars saved on bigger solar power... The money ive saved just by using 240v fridge and chest freezer compared to 12v boat or camping refrigeration - has more than paid for the entire solar system on my boat. Then i also have enough energy for watermaking and running my dive compressor, laptop, or whatever else i want without running into a brick wall on energy budgets like gerald is now contemplating... the tables have really turned now days with solar power being so cheap compared to only a few years ago..."
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 03:50   #29

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
According to this page they're suggesting that at "2.2 kW full load" it will take "10 L 0-200 bar 25 min", even though it goes to 300 bar. So the first 200 bar will use nearly 1kWh. Like you I'm also curious what the fill time is to 300 bar. My guess is, it's over an hour. The first part is easy-peasy. Packing those molecules in tightly is the hard part
My tired 20 yr old Coltri was about 45-50 minutes to 3000 psi. It wouldn't get there when I bought the boat but a few hours lapping valves and it was substantially better. I'm sure it would have been even better with new valves, but I just never got around to ordering them.

I'd have preferred a Bauer (much more common for parts worldwide it seemed) if I was buying one, but the Coltri was fine and came with the boat.
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 05:33   #30

Boat: Sabre 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Here is a link to a rather smart method where a chap is driving both his watermaker and dive compressor from solar on a small outboard powered catamaran. The link is well worth checking out and is a solution to using large generator as recommended by Bauer

The chap is a air conditioning electrician using 240 inverter and 3 phase electric motors with a variable speed drive. This could help solve your fuel issues with plenty of solar.

https://diy-yachts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1117

"The line of thinking about the energy requirements on my boat hasnt changed from day one- rather than run super expensive but efficient equipment, its cheaper overall and also more flexible to spend the dollars saved on bigger solar power... The money ive saved just by using 240v fridge and chest freezer compared to 12v boat or camping refrigeration - has more than paid for the entire solar system on my boat. Then i also have enough energy for watermaking and running my dive compressor, laptop, or whatever else i want without running into a brick wall on energy budgets like gerald is now contemplating... the tables have really turned now days with solar power being so cheap compared to only a few years ago..."

Interesting read, thanks. Being able to modify a dive compressor to run off of 12v is not an easy feat. Too bad his knowledge took him a career as an electrician to gain! Quite a bit out of my league, but I need a friend like him...

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, Cuba, scuba