Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2018, 12:06   #1

Boat: None at the moment
Dividing V-berth

Does anyone happen to have any experience with building some sort of divider that would turn a v-berth into two somewhat private spaces? It seems like it would be pretty simple to install some sort of track system and slide in a partition between the cushions, but I often over-simplify things in my mind.

We've got two young children (a boy and a girl) and hope to figure out a way to give them a bit of personal space without having to purchase a 3-cabin boat.

Thanks for any insight you might have!
DaBod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 12:31   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Dividing V-berth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBod View Post
I often over-simplify things in my mind.
Really?

The whole idea of each kid getting their own personal space is so first-world.

Especially in a mobile setting!

Curtain, maybe.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 12:46   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

DaBod,

I'm agreeing with john61ct, above, on this. A curtain is entirely adequate, and weighs less. You might want something like a bundling board, for when they're asleep. Privacy is given by practicing self-restraint. It is the job of the parent to teach the child to respect the other child's space, and you should start ASAP. It's unfamiliar to Americans, who've been spreading into bigger and bigger spaces for the last 100 yrs. or so, but lots of places families have less space than a boat, and it is necessarily the parents and the older siblings who teach the new ones how to behave. It is a positive value to learn to respect others' space.

Ann
Old 19-03-2018, 12:47   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Really?

The whole idea of each kid getting their own personal space is so first-world.

Especially in a mobile setting!

Curtain, maybe.
First-world or not, I asked for experience, not opinions. We aren't going to be truly mobile for a while, so we will be living in the first-world for some time. In the interest of actually enjoying this experience and not seeing it end prematurely, I'd like to make it as comfortable for my family as possible. Besides, your use of "first-world" implies being spoiled, and although not third-world by any means, moving kids onto a 40-45 boat to share a space smaller than a queen-sized bed hardly sounds spoiled to me.
Old 19-03-2018, 13:12   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
First-world or not, I asked for experience, not opinions. We aren't going to be truly mobile for a while, so we will be living in the first-world for some time. In the interest of actually enjoying this experience and not seeing it end prematurely, I'd like to make it as comfortable for my family as possible. Besides, your use of "first-world" implies being spoiled, and although not third-world by any means, moving kids onto a 40-45 boat to share a space smaller than a queen-sized bed hardly sounds spoiled to me.
The following is offered in a friendly tone, and with the sole intent to help you. It is an opinion, but based on experience.

On a boat that is sailing, an average adult needs only 24" by 72" of sleeping space. This is enough to provide secure restful sleeping. If the berth is much wider, you will rock and roll, causing less restful sleep, or no sleep. In short, narrow is good and preferred. This is why Pilot berths are narrow, with high sides or lee boards or lee cloths..

In a Vberth, simply rig a lee cloth down the middle of the V or put in a lee board to separate the bodies.

Berths are meant for sleeping.
The rest of the boat should be communal living and working space.

There is little privacy on a boat. It is really a state of mind.
It is an important lesson for anyone of any age to learn if you want a harmonious crew and voyage or spend any time on the boat.

The respect of others is paramount importance.
You could have a much larger boat than 40 feet, and still not have enough "private space" or privacy, if the crew does not accept these truths about shipboard life and act accordingly.

I will attach a photo of each type.
I would add pockets with Velcro closing flaps to these, so kids or adults can have a few small items handy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9668.JPG
Views:	632
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	166683   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9669.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	166684  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 13:25   #6

Thanks very much for the information!
Old 19-03-2018, 19:10   #7
cruiser

Quote:
First-world or not, I asked for experience, not opinions.
My experience is having raised three sets of kids, me as the primary caregiver most of the time single father, and only 15% of the time living in developed-world conditions.

The times they each had their own room was maybe average 2 years each, and for close to half the time we were all in the same space, often 4+ adults and usually 3+ children, never more than three beds altogether, sometimes just grass mats and blankets covering most of the floor and put away in the morning.

I am not at all saying the USian way is "spoiling" in the sense of a value judgement.

I am saying my kids were never harmed by such "roughing it" and although their HEW and "deep happiness" were always at the top of my priority list,

our relationship was never me paying much attention to their "comforts" or what they expressed as preferences about our location or lifestyle.

I'm pretty darn sure any one of them today would joyfully jump onboard to head off to explore the horizons in a little sailboat with me **and their kids** if given half the chance, and that includes those that are still tween/teens.
Old 19-03-2018, 20:38   #8
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380

Keep in mind, that regardless of how you do it both spaces must have access to the cabin top hatch as a secondary means of escape should it be necessary.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Derick
Old 19-03-2018, 21:29   #9

Boat: Volkscruiser

I have two young kids myself and would definitely use a piece of plywood where the two cushions touch as a divider. That way it stops the junk creep onto one side or the other along with the endless arguments. I would also have some sort of curtain so there is no complaints about the reading light being left on.
Our kids quarter berths also have rectangular plastic pot plant holders attached to the side of the hull. That way they can safely store their books, toys and portable DVD player and still get into bed.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 21:32   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee 52, Lancer 39, Paradox 14
Dividing V-berth

A couple weeks ago I was on a boat where the v-berth had been divided, twice (horizontally and vertically) to get 4 separate sleeping areas. The wooden horizontal divider had a small window cut in (to improve ventilation?). The overall effect was positive: with the creation of 4 semi-private areas from the vberth. Here are photos I took, looking forward through the door into the vberth:

Name:	IMG_2212.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	322.1 KB
ID:	166703

Name:	IMG_2213.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	166704
Seafarer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 22:08   #11

Boat: Riva 48

Best approach is to give each kid a separate space. One in front, the other one in the back. The adults have to to share the main cabin. We are grown ups and there is always something to do, running around the boat, fixing things. Kids get bored on sailboats and they need their space to read, study or play.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 22:14   #12

Boat: Volkscruiser

That's mad Seafarer7, they must have wanted to convert it back to a double bed later on? Otherwise why not remove the bed and cabinetry and make two separate cabins with bunks?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 06:50   #13
cruiser

Heck of a big V-berth, that.

Looks great for four little people!

But making do on well under 40' is a different story
Old 20-03-2018, 07:21   #14

Thanks to everyone for the input and advice. Greatly appreciated!
Old 20-03-2018, 07:45   #15

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

I really don't get why the DEFAULT answer on these forums has become "Why would you do XYZ, thats dumb/stupid/firstworld/ {insert any other critisism}. It is such an overbearing, obnoxious, hollier-than-thou response.

Get over it, other peoples needs are NOT yours. if you don't have something positive to contribute to the question asked, DON"T HIT REPLY !.

Threads are MUCH more valuable when they answer the question someone asks in a positive, usefull way, with ideas and alternatives.

I love crusiers forum, i'd rather not see it turn into Reddit..... (Which is seems to be)

----------

As for splitting a V-Berth. Look at Track systems / sliding doors from wardrobe manufacturers.

On our Navy ship, the early ones used curtains ( very common) for privacy.
In later models, it was still a curtain, but DUAL tracked, to be tight, and not flop, which gave a greater sense of privacy. They did become a bit of a pain to slide at time.
Later again, they used sliding concertina, or thin sliding plastic panels on dual (top and bottom) track for 1/2 the bunk, which if I recall was just roller bearings in a channel. These worked just fine. The second 1/2 was again, a curtain. (Legs end).

Mainly due to need to allow rapid egress, and sliding panels can Jam. so you don't want to wall off the whole bed !

This gave good privacy, and was still safe.

Regards

Mark
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote