Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 06:26   #16
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: Divorce Looming Looking For New Start

Hey, I've been through two divorces. One after 22 years of marriage, and the second one after two years.....and now finally ten years into my third marriage I am pretty sure I got it right. It's a complicated formula.

But the man didn't ask about our advice on divorce, now did he.

He asked about living on a boat.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:32   #17

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Hey, I've been through two divorces. One after 22 years of marriage, and the second one after two years.....and now finally ten years into my third marriage I am pretty sure I got it right. It's a complicated formula.

Your right, we should just agree that divorce is terrible and focus on the original question. Thanks
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:51   #18

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

Most people don't rent out their boats. This is mainly because it is a depreciating asset and requires more maintenance if used as a live aboard.
When systems on a boat fail they are often expensive to repair....much more so than on a land based home. You certainly don't want to pay for these repairs and the boat owner would eat up any rental income profit pretty quickly. I know I would not want to rent out my boat as a live aboard.

Finding a liveaboards boat to rent will be hard.

Buying one with someone holding the mortgage is not easy either....unless you have a big down payment and can show other assets or really excellent credit.

If you have some equity in a house you will be selling and can buy a boat with bank financing....that would likely be more achievable.
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:12   #19

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post

Too bad. He gets blessed with perspective against his will then.
Often prospective liveaboards don't know the right questions to ask and can learn from free flowing discussion centered around their decision. In this case I think it's appropriate to acknowledge the oft occurring nexus between divorce, money, children and the liveaboard lifestyle. I have three children, one out of college, and two teens. I have never been married and never will. Kids upcoming college costs will keep me in a small boat for a long time, but I consider my boat purchase to be one of my better ideas.
No regrets (at present.)

If I hadn't had the experience of being imprisoned and emasculated in a long term "marriage-like" relationship, I probably wouldn't have developed such a strong desire to be free and unfettered, and I probably wouldn't have bought the boat. The boat (whether it moves or sits in a slip) provides at least the illusion of freedom and control.

My kids would like it better if I actually had her back in the water though, lol.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote