Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2013, 10:25   #16
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Re: Do any of you Guys and Gals use an Inflatable Kayak as your Tender?

When I go ashore I often bring my bicycle so it wouldn't work for me. I believe in an UGLY dinghy that would have little resale value to thieves. They will walk right by mine to steal the neighbors. Outboard is an 80s vintage mariner that doesn't get oohs ans ahs but gets the job done.But the dinghy has a bunch of foamand is unsinkable. Its able to continue motoring completely swamped with 3 people (know from experience)
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 10:45   #17

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'

We've had a Sea Eagle for the past year and a half, and I would trade it to anybody on here who has an inflatable raft type instead -- even if you bought it at Walmart. We have a big swim step for boarding and launching and it's still a pain to use that kayak. In fact, last time we tried used it for my wife and me and the 20lb dog. By the time we got to shore the dog was still riding in the kayak like Cleopatra on a barge on the Nile, and my wife and I were swimming beside it.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 11:24   #18

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
We've had a Sea Eagle for the past year and a half, and I would trade it to anybody on here who has an inflatable raft type instead -- even if you bought it at Walmart. We have a big swim step for boarding and launching and it's still a pain to use that kayak. In fact, last time we tried used it for my wife and me and the 20lb dog. By the time we got to shore the dog was still riding in the kayak like Cleopatra on a barge on the Nile, and my wife and I were swimming beside it.
That's how my dog would do it.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 17:57   #19

Boat: 40' searunner trimaran

My first boat my tender was a one man rigid kayak. My crew was a 50 pound pitbull. Perfect tender for both of us.
My boat now is a 38 foot trimaran. I had a sterns inflateable kayak and it was ok but i had to sew a canvas cover onto it because the original fabric deteriorated in the sun. No dog in this kayak... He died. But with a reinforced sunbrella cover sewn onto the sterns i think you would be happy. Get the 2 man sterns... More room for the dog. I will send a picture of the kayak with the cover i made in a separate post.
That kayak was eventually stolen and i replaced it with an inflateable from west marine. Junk. Dont buy one. Best is a rigid. Best inflateable is a sterns with a sunbrella cover. In my humble opinion anyways.
trimarannaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 18:14   #20

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

We have a dinghy and a double inflatable and a single hard kayak. The dingy is like a station wagon and the kayaks are like motorcycles.
Old 27-01-2013, 18:31   #21

Boat: 40' searunner trimaran

Picture of sterns inflateable with sunbrella (patchwork) cover
If i didnt figure out how to attach the photo you can see it on my website
Sailing Adventures of Trimaran NAGA - INDEX Page
I think its in the photos for vanuatu.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cswkids.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	53588  
trimarannaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 20:53   #22

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Which Sea Eagle do you have? There's a big difference between an entry level $200 Sea Eagle 330 and a $1300 Sea Eagle Fastrack.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:52   #23

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Yes, you're right, I finally checked, it is indeed a sea eagle 330. Oh well, $200 learning experience for me. We'll have to go dingy shopping in a couple months.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 14:41   #24

Reviving an old thread...

When using an inflatable kayak as a tender, is there any way around the wet arse factor?

Or is a wet arse a certainty?

What about wearing a pair of fishing waders? Huge ones big enough to fit over clothes and shoes.

I'm considering holding down a proper job for a while, whilst living on the hook. Might have to wear a suit again (eek!).
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 11:38   #25

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul

In mild conditions that shouldn't be a problem, but I would wear a bathing suit and change clothes on land, also pick up a water resistant backpack to carry items to shore. That's what I do.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 13:33   #26

Thanks Tom.
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 14:24   #27

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"

I'm enroute to Dominican Republic from P.R accross the Mona Passage so will probably lose my data connection pretty soon.

Sweet and short. Kiwi kayak. Why? Moulded in handle, removable seat back for stowing 6 gal. deisel or enough groceries to fill a large backpack. Sit in, only 38 pounds I believe. Kopapa or Lobo depending upon your size. When I get to Boca Chica I'll post very relevant information then. Been my mode of transport for18 + years.

See: Kiwi Kayak - Kayaks

armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 08:55   #28

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"

My last post mentions the Kiwi kayak.

If you visited the provided link you saw the handholds moulded into both ends of the kayak. Big plus for locking the kayak with a chain or cable locking system to keep thieves from carrying it away. If in Fiiji nothing gets stolen, only borrowed... Still.

The second big plus is the bow handhold enables one to attach a line roughly equal to the kayak length, or longer. A shackle (trigger releaseable under load is best) attached at a point equal to your reach, arm extended, about mid length of the line enables you to attach the shackle to a strong point on a boat or dock. This can be a cleat, shroud, padeye or stanchion by rounding the stanchion once and attaching the shackle to the rope.

Exiting the kayak at a dock or boat is accomplished by firmly placing your feet on the kayak bottom. Then, grasping a strong point and pushing forward and inward agains the boat, ladder or dock pull yourself yourself up. Entering the kayak is similarly done in the reverse.

If you are coming ashore at a beach or boat ramp with a significant incline, use the bow line to pull yourself up and step out over the side.

I carry an advanced design inflatable kayak too. This facillitates moving my bicycle to and from shore by towing the inflatable with bike behind the Kiwi. It is also available for a guest or crew member to move independent of myself.

armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inflatable, Kayak, tender