Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2018, 14:53   #91

Re: Do you live the "Jimmy Buffet lifestyle"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus Safdari View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Do you live the Jimmy Buffet lifestyle?

Only when I bring my guitar with me on a cruise.

Otherwise I play his music on my Bluetooth-enabled car stereo system.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 15:00   #92
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Eisenhower even Nixon these days on domestic policy would be considered an extreme "liberal" by today's standards.

And 99.9% of this country's Democrats would be considered far right wing in the other more developed countries.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 15:25   #93

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

Have been a member of this site for quite a while. Many times in the past, over the years, discussions of a sensative nature have become very heated. Mods have stepped in on many, cautioning many members to cool it and occasionly made decisions to close the thread. Simply trying to play within the rules.

I still like JB and at one time considered myself to be living his projected lifestyle, and lived aboard for over a year. He, over the years, has certainly provided most of us with our type of music, when no one else was. Recently, he has killed the bond here with us. No longer do we listen to his music non stop, when awake as we used to for so many years.

I come from a time, like many, when he was king. We are dying off and I doubt his success will continue when we do. Never remember him as one who was so political as he now is. I guess the bloom is off the rose.
Old 16-08-2018, 15:36   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitchell View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Look at the example of the Dixie Chicks singers. Perfect case of NOT knowing your core audience and inappropriate use of "whatever platform they had available".

I agree with others here in that performers and athletes should stick to what they are being paid for and what people expect from them. Far too many have the idea that just because they are famous, then they can push their thoughts, norms and morays onto their audience. >>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

An interesting selection. Perhaps one of those new "alternative facts" so prevalent with the mindless these days.

Yes, I remember the Dixie Chicks and the reprehensible behavior of senior government officials at that time, too.

Some "reality TV star" comes to my mind right when you typed: "...that just because they are famous, then they can push their thoughts, norms and morays onto their audience..."

Does this mean no one can sing "Blowing in The Wind?"

The choice of material should be up to the artist.

It's like the radio: If you don't like what's on, change the channel or turn it off.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 15:36   #95

Boat: someone elses

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOCAT66 View Post
/////
I come from a time, like many, when he was king. We are dying off and I doubt his success will continue when we do. .....
I dont think its going to be a worry. He is the same age or older than the core of his audience. He'll be gone before they are.
JMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 15:42   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
An interesting selection. Perhaps one of those new "alternative facts" so prevalent with the mindless these days.

Yes, I remember the Dixie Chicks and the reprehensible behavior of senior government officials at that time, too.

Some "reality TV star" comes to my mind right when you typed: "...that just because they are famous, then they can push their thoughts, norms and morays onto their audience..."

Does this mean no one can sing "Blowing in The Wind?"

The choice of material should be up to the artist.

It's like the radio: If you don't like what's on, change the channel or turn it off.
OK, you lost me on the "alternative facts" line. Going to have to explain that for me. Actually, as I re-read your post a few times, I'm lost on the whole thing. It's like words I know but the structure of them makes no sense. Blowing in the wind?

I said nothing about what an artist performs, I commented about a performer making statements that have nothing to do with their performances.
Old 16-08-2018, 15:54   #97

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Well , maybe we all should pay more attention to...the important post that it is................

NATIONAL RUM DAY !

Our personal views are ours, and that is where the buck stops when it is time to fill out our mail in our ballots.

I had no idea this was NATIONAL RUM DAY....

And to keep on the positive, we have a pre season NFL game on TV shortly, so how about blasting forth and enjoying the evening with your best beloved.

Just a tip for the rum drinkers out there that actually like the taste of rum..
Saiors and rum can meld together most properly.

I enhance it a bit, when I pick up my bottle of Whalers Dark Rum from Trader Joes.... I will add in a medium pour of Vanilla extract or vanilla flavoring.
All it takes is a glass, ice , and pour in the rum with the vanilla, add in a splash of water, and your party light is illuminated. Hargghhh, that flows down sooo very easy...so be careful.

Tonight we will add in the NFL, with Erica by my side, and life is good.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 15:57   #98

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
I said nothing about what an artist performs, I commented about a performer making statements that have nothing to do with their performances.
When those statements have nothing to do with their performances, as in not made at a performance, why on earth do you care? I would agree if he were using public, paid-for, performances as a venue to push his political views - the sin that the Dixie Chicks committed.

The larger issue is the crazy intolerance that so many Americans have for those with opposing views. We have all traveled our own paths in life, gathered our own experiences, and thought about problems in our own way; to conclude that our opinions are the only valid ones is a supreme act of arrogance. It is easier to support when one limits their social group to those with the same opinion, as is so common here. Trust me when I say that this is not behavior that will travel well while cruising, although many are insensitive to that. Closing out others for their differences is denying oneself a richer life.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 16:23   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
When those statements have nothing to do with their performances, as in not made at a performance, why on earth do you care? I would agree if he were using public, paid-for, performances as a venue to push his political views - the sin that the Dixie Chicks committed.

The larger issue is the crazy intolerance that so many Americans have for those with opposing views. We have all traveled our own paths in life, gathered our own experiences, and thought about problems in our own way; to conclude that our opinions are the only valid ones is a supreme act of arrogance. It is easier to support when one limits their social group to those with the same opinion, as is so common here. Trust me when I say that this is not behavior that will travel well while cruising, although many are insensitive to that. Closing out others for their differences is denying oneself a richer life.

Greg
You quoted my post, but I'm not sure if you were talking to ME or just in generalities. If you read my other posts in the thread, I dont have a problem, live and let live. I'll proudly say I'm a conservative republican but I dont attack or harbor ill will for my friends and family who are liberals. I have some great debates with them from time to time because we can all defend and explain our thoughts without resorting to attacking the other (which is what sadly happens in the majority of "discussions" of polarizing topics in the general populace).
Old 16-08-2018, 16:26   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihuedooley77 View Post
Well , maybe we all should pay more attention to...the important post that it is................

NATIONAL RUM DAY !

Have you ever tried rum with coconut water?
Old 16-08-2018, 16:53   #101

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Anyway, if you say your response was meant to be non-partisan, I will take you at your word.
Back atcha!
Old 16-08-2018, 17:40   #102

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
You quoted my post, but I'm not sure if you were talking to ME or just in generalities.

I was really just responding generally - the quote was apropos to the discussion. I actually read threads like this for content, and try not to attach names to ideas or otherwise I might start doing just what I am condemning: dismissing views because I don't agree with the author's values. In my (perhaps idealistic) view ideas should stand on their own, only supported by facts and logic. Dismissing an idea because one doesn't like the author, or because someone has put a loaded label on it, is just wrong IMHO.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 07:52   #103
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I really find it hard to believe that patriotic Americans, who presumably believe the right of free speech is close to the top of what our country is all about,

would honestly say that **any** citizen with a strong opinion about public affairs, doesn't have the right to speak out. Obviously illegal speech intended to illegally intimidates or*incites violence*is a exception.

Of course if you disagree with their views, then you have the right to respond, organize a boycott, try to impact their livelihood etc, under the same freedoms that should be upheld for all citizens.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/16/polit...oke/index.html
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 08:35   #104

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

JB's music was never truly about just words or music. It was always about the escape dream possibility for average everyday sailors, like me. He fed the dream, He fed the feeling.
Old 20-08-2018, 07:30   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Most that say they do usually call themselves Parrot Heads.
Now this is my observation only, but being a Parrot Head is an excuse for being a drunk, most Parrot Heads don’t own or live on a boat.

Now if I were to want to emulate someone that is associated with that area of the World, I’d rater pick Hemingway
The Salty One is offline   Reply With Quote