Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2012, 20:48   #61
GWB

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Does Anyone Know Westsail Sailboats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
How can I, this is my forum, i.e. "Liveaboard's Forum". What are you doing here?!

ciao!
Nick.
Trying to keep the trolls at bay But seriously, as I have shown in past posts the Westsail is a respectable performer.
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 20:57   #62
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB View Post
Trying to keep the trolls at bay But seriously, as I have shown in past posts the Westsail is a respectable performer.
Yes, the amusement level was much appreciated, especially when the W32 handicap ratings came on the table

You are of course correct that performance is better than expected... it is because like with all sailing things, everything gets exaggerated and the slow speed of the W32 is no exception: they are faster than a snail, so don't deserve the "Westsnail" name technically... but it sounds so cool which is why it comes up every time (not that I would do such a thing of course) and the reaction of certain W32 owners to the name is just entertaining every time

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 21:30   #63
GWB

Quote:
Yes, the amusement level was much appreciated, especially when the W32 handicap ratings came on the table

You are of course correct that performance is better than expected... it is because like with all sailing things, everything gets exaggerated and the slow speed of the W32 is no exception: they are faster than a snail, so don't deserve the "Westsnail" name technically... but it sounds so cool which is why it comes up every time (not that I would do such a thing of course) and the reaction of certain W32 owners to the name is just entertaining every time

ciao!
Nick.
It is sad that some resort to taunting others with playground type name-calling and insinuation. But, like you say you would never stoop to such a level...
Old 14-02-2012, 04:45   #64

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB

It is sad that some resort to taunting others with playground type name-calling and insinuation. But, like you say you would never stoop to such a level...
As long as "Westsnail" triggers your reaction like a red cloth does to a bull, people are going to say it extra. Instead of giving me heat, read that and understand that I am trying to help you. I agree it's playground level name-calling but once somebody did that, the name got stuck and nothing you do will ever change that. I think you're better off than the Beneteaus, Hunters etc. How about Irwins being called "cruiser killers", that is as bad as it can get....

Let it go, counter with a Hunter kind of joke, but don't get them, or me, work you up the roof by saying that word. Countering with statements of W32's being race machines doesn't help either; only adds to the fun of them, and me, which is the opposite of what you want to achieve. Joke about the comfort at sea that the W32 provides while other designs act like in a tumble drier or something, but pick a strong point; anything but speed. Also, never get personal; it doesn't work.

Like I told you a while ago, Westsail is a nice boat, but very few would buy one today. take the critique and keep enjoying what you have. People say horrible things to me about my boat or me owning her... I try to counter that now and then and found that bringing up an unrelated strong point gets the best results.

ciao!
Nick.

Old 14-02-2012, 05:03   #65
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Does Anyone Know Westsail Sailboats ?

Either that or try reverse psychology...
Beat your breast.... bang your.....
Bemoan the love of your life being a dog... and everyone will tell you how great she is... speed is not everything... stamina describes her best.. look at the space and comfortable ride...
and all that stuff..

All the above is 'Bull Doo'... they'll just laugh and say... 'Told ya..'

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 06:13   #66

Boat: contessa 32

Absolutely cool looking and beautiful boat,but with small cockpit (many say wet) that alone would prevent me from using a westsail for what she does best: crossing oceans.
The cockpit is where I spend almost all my waking hours,I don't want to see the world looking out a porthole or at a laptop.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 07:59   #67
GWB

Quote:
As long as "Westsnail" triggers your reaction like a red cloth does to a bull, people are going to say it extra. Instead of giving me heat, read that and understand that I am trying to help you. I agree it's playground level name-calling but once somebody did that, the name got stuck and nothing you do will ever change that. I think you're better off than the Beneteaus, Hunters etc. How about Irwins being called "cruiser killers", that is as bad as it can get....

Let it go, counter with a Hunter kind of joke, but don't get them, or me, work you up the roof by saying that word. Countering with statements of W32's being race machines doesn't help either; only adds to the fun of them, and me, which is the opposite of what you want to achieve. Joke about the comfort at sea that the W32 provides while other designs act like in a tumble drier or something, but pick a strong point; anything but speed. Also, never get personal; it doesn't work.

Like I told you a while ago, Westsail is a nice boat, but very few would buy one today. take the critique and keep enjoying what you have. People say horrible things to me about my boat or me owning her... I try to counter that now and then and found that bringing up an unrelated strong point gets the best results.

ciao!
Nick.
Nick, you just don't seem to get it. Many people do buy these boats (there is a steady stream of new Westsail owners joining the WOA) and not all are of the mindset that name-calling and innuendo are something to aspire or are in fact normal operating procedure. Just because you seem to spend every waking minute on the cruisers forum commenting on most topics and making fun of others peoples boats, doesn't mean other people go about their business in the same way.
Some people are seriously looking for information on boats, that is why they ask questions. What have you contributed to the discussion on Westsail 32's?
I have tried to give those who are looking a more balanced perspective of what a good boat the W32 is and backed it up with facts and figures. You have only said things like "other boats could go faster" or "my boat would do it in less time".
Nowhere have I said that the W32 is a world beater but you keep inferring that I have. I have to think that your feeling were hurt somewhere along the way and now you are just being vindictive.

As for giving me some advice, here is some for you: Go sailing more and post less
Old 14-02-2012, 08:02   #68

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
Absolutely cool looking and beautiful boat,but with small cockpit (many say wet) that alone would prevent me from using a westsail for what she does best: crossing oceans.
The cockpit is where I spend almost all my waking hours,I don't want to see the world looking out a porthole or at a laptop.
A small cockpit was one of the reasons we chose our boat. We figured if we were ever swamped, then it would drain a lot faster.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 18:39   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB View Post
Nick, you just don't seem to get it.
[...]
I have to think that your feeling were hurt somewhere along the way and now you are just being vindictive.

As for giving me some advice, here is some for you: Go sailing more and post less
Come on now, it wasn't me bringing up "Westsnail" in this thread or any other one. Check it if you don't believe me. I have been very positive towards the W32 but I also remarked on it's weak points. For you, there are no weak points because the W32 is the best boat ever. Don't you realize that you do to every owner of another brand that you accuse all of us about?!

The only way you could hurt my feelings with a W32 is by passing me out there at sea. We all know that will never happen. As to advising me to stop posting... I do that on a regular basis, but I always come back for another hail of posts and am currently just past the current high, my posts per day are dropping again on average.

What I don't understand is why you use such nasty words like "vindictive" when I post such a nice message to you. You recognize the red cloth but mistake me for the one waving it, and you do not see my hand presented to help pull out from the hole you dug yourself...

ciao!
Nick.
Old 14-02-2012, 18:50   #70
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlepat View Post
Haven't sailed one myself but Cap'n Fatty Goodlander refers to them as "Wetsnails".
The reason so few among the cruising community respect Cap'n Fatty's opinions is because he stoops to such inflammatory rhetoric. Honestly, his audience is primarily those inexperienced and underfinanced dreamers who have little chance of actually taking to the high seas. Book sailors. While they get him, the rest of the cruising community generally doesn't.

You begin your comment with "Haven't sailed one myself but...." Honestly, anything that follows that opening is not particularly useful on this forum, where there's plenty enough real-world experience to make such speculation superfluous.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 14-02-2012, 19:06   #71

Boat: Tartan 40
There are also a passport 40 and hobie 33 at the bottom with the westsails among the DNF/DNC results on quick glance, which probably invalidates your implied reason for posting this.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 19:06   #72

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Worked the race deck for the SSS a couple weeks ago doing the 3 Bridge fiasco..
3 Westsails were listed, check out the finishes...
Singlehanded Sailing Society
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 19:10   #73

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
There are also a passport 40 and hobie 33 at the bottom with the westsails among the DNF/DNC results on quick glance, which probably invalidates your implied reason for posting this.
I didnt imply anything.. Just showing the results, you take it for what ever its worth..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 19:10   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73
Oops. You pulled your post and re-posted as I wrote. This post above makes more sense AFTER R on R's response. But seriously I agree that Westsails are not around the buoys racers, but when you have such boats like hobie 33 also at same place in results not sure what that means about the race.
Old 14-02-2012, 19:13   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3

I didnt imply anything.. Just showing the results, you take it for what ever its worth..
Well, I replied to your initial post which had less of an air of objectivity about the results..... Your re-post only has implications because I think I have read in the past your preference for more racer type cruisers.