Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2012, 19:18   #76

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Re: Does Anyone Know Westsail Sailboats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Oops. You pulled your post and re-posted as I wrote. This post above makes more sense AFTER R on R's response. But seriously I agree that Westsails are not around the buoys racers, but when you have such boats like hobie 33 also at same place in results not sure what that means about the race.
It dosent mean a thing.. and thats the reasoning.. sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, and sometimes you dont even finish..
if you love the boat than that should be enough , but dont try to justify its speed by showing race results.. as shown, sometimes your windshield and sometimes your the bug..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 19:24   #77

Boat: Tartan 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3

It dosent mean a thing.. and thats the reasoning.. sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, and sometimes you dont even finish..
if you love the boat than that should be enough , but dont try to justify its speed by showing race results.. as shown, sometimes your windshield and sometimes your the bug..
That I agree with.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 19:27   #78

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Well, I replied to your initial post which had less of an air of objectivity about the results..... Your re-post only has implications because I think I have read in the past your preference for more racer type cruisers.
My preference is tword race boats, I dont hide it but I still respect your view as to dislike it.. and you can bad mouth it all you want, its my choice and I would not try to defend it as a heavyweight, its not, I wont even compare it to a heavyer boat... but at the same time I find heavyweights and westsail owners willing to compete with my ocean racer, not on the water, but on this forum..
The westsail is NOT a performance boat as as NICK said, I give up my views and bow to the owner of the westsail that passes me on the open ocean.
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 19:48   #79

Boat: Tartan 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3

My preference is tword race boats, I dont hide it but I still respect your view as to dislike it.. and you can bad mouth it all you want, its my choice and I would not try to defend it as a heavyweight, its not, I wont even compare it to a heavyer boat... but at the same time I find heavyweights and westsail owners willing to compete with my ocean racer, not on the water, but on this forum..
The westsail is NOT a performance boat as as NICK said, I give up my views and bow to the owner of the westsail that passes me on the open ocean.
Whoa, there. i never said anything about disliking your view. Never bad mouthed it either. ease off on the defensiveness! I like your boat, have chartered bene's and campaigned a really nice first 40.7 as it's bowman. Lots of fun to race, and the owner cruises extensively on the boat with his family when not racing it....

As an aside, my boat isn't a heavyweight at 12,500 for a 33 footer. Kind of in the middle, but as tight and creakfree as the day it was built 45 years ago. I race it for fun, and have my share of silver from it, but also have gotten killed with bad decisions or drifter conditions. For the budget I stuck to there wasn't a better quality built 30-35 footer on the market when I bought.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 19:53   #80
GWB

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Come on now, it wasn't me bringing up "Westsnail" in this thread or any other one. Check it if you don't believe me. I have been very positive towards the W32 but I also remarked on it's weak points. For you, there are no weak points because the W32 is the best boat ever. Don't you realize that you do to every owner of another brand that you accuse all of us about?!

The only way you could hurt my feelings with a W32 is by passing me out there at sea. We all know that will never happen. As to advising me to stop posting... I do that on a regular basis, but I always come back for another hail of posts and am currently just past the current high, my posts per day are dropping again on average.

What I don't understand is why you use such nasty words like "vindictive" when I post such a nice message to you. You recognize the red cloth but mistake me for the one waving it, and you do not see my hand presented to help pull out from the hole you dug yourself...

ciao!
Nick.

We will have to agree to disagree.

p.s. I went aboard a Sundeer in Charleston harbor a few years ago. I remember the interior being very cramped for the length of the boat. Also, in order to drain the sink a macerator pump had to be run. The switch to run the pump was labeled incorrectly.
In order to drain the sink a person had to troubleshoot for about 20 minutes.

I much prefer my boat.
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 19:54   #81
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Does Anyone Know Westsail Sailboats ?

[QUOTE=Randyonr3;887564]My preference is tword race boats, I dont hide it but I still respect your view as to dislike it.. and you can bad mouth it all you want, its my choice and I would not try to defend it as a heavyweight, its not, I wont even compare it to a heavyer boat... but at the same time I find heavyweights and westsail owners willing to compete with my ocean racer, not on the water, but on this forum..
The westsail is NOT a performance boat as as NICK said, I give up my views and bow to the owner of the westsail that passes me on the open ocean.[/QUOTE]

Does it matter which way....??

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 19:56   #82
GWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Who said it was? You guys are so defensive about your race boats you are reading things into posts.
Old 14-02-2012, 20:10   #83
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB View Post

We will have to agree to disagree.

p.s. I went aboard a Sundeer in Charleston harbor a few years ago. I remember the interior being very cramped for the length of the boat. Also, in order to drain the sink a macerator pump had to be run. The switch to run the pump was labeled incorrectly.
In order to drain the sink a person had to troubleshoot for about 20 minutes.

I much prefer my boat.
Yes I know... you would never trade, we have no room inside

On the Sundeer systems: don't get me started on how much was wrong with that; I ripped most of it out and replaced everything. Let me think what is original... engine and masts, rudder, keel, deck and hull, that's it.

The grey water system was especially bad... I had to redesign the whole thing. You don't seem to believe me that all boats have weak points and I have no problem at all listing and discussing them for my own boat. The hundreds of projects I did to improve the boat were all needed in my opinion.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 20:30   #84
GWB

Quote:
Yes I know... you would never trade, we have no room inside

On the Sundeer systems: don't get me started on how much was wrong with that; I ripped most of it out and replaced everything. Let me think what is original... engine and masts, rudder, keel, deck and hull, that's it.

The grey water system was especially bad... I had to redesign the whole thing. You don't seem to believe me that all boats have weak points and I have no problem at all listing and discussing them for my own boat. The hundreds of projects I did to improve the boat were all needed in my opinion.

ciao!
Nick.
That is not the reason I wouldn't trade Most weekends I go sailing by myself. Trying to daysail a behemoth like what you have by myself would not make for a carefree relaxing day on the water. I know you say its easier to singlehand a boat the bigger it is, but frankly I don't believe you.
Old 14-02-2012, 20:33   #85

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Now I have sailed a westsail 32, in fact deliverd it from San Francisco, to Grays Harbor.must have been 81 or 82 It sails just fine !as has been said not real Fast, but real steady boat, a little small for my tastes, but really nice inside,it was a factory bilt not a home finished. Im sure with a few ad ons it would be a strong cruiser for a couple to go anywhere in ! Just my 2 cents Bob and Connie ( Ahh I never thought of it as a race machine LOL)
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 04:07   #86
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB

That is not the reason I wouldn't trade Most weekends I go sailing by myself. Trying to daysail a behemoth like what you have by myself would not make for a carefree relaxing day on the water. I know you say its easier to singlehand a boat the bigger it is, but frankly I don't believe you.
How about giving it a try?! Surely you know somebody with a 40'+ boat... ask if you can come along for a ride and I'm sure you will also find that bigger becomes easier to sail. Sure you need to get used to the length while docking and manouvering in close quarters, but the extra waterline and weight give you extra time without being blown sideways etc.

Out on open water it all gets very simple; boat movement is much more relaxed than with smaller boats, gusts are much less of an event etc etc.

Never just believe or not believe... check it out personally!

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 04:30   #87
Armchair Bucketeer

I had never even heard of Westsails before joining CF - not surprising given that I am based in the UK.

But simply a quick look at them said to me:-

a) They look great (my idea of what a proper boat should look like ).

b) Won't ever be the fastest boat on the water (but that not ubber important to me).

c) Likely won't be a complete handful in a bit of weather (I like at least half a chance of being able to put the kettle on - and not coming back on deck to find heading in the other direction ).

Having said that, cockpit is a bit too exposed for my tastes and whilst I love a canoe stern, there are downsides to having one. But has a bowsprit .

Whether someone else thinks they be the bees knees (or not!) is kinda irrelevent (I don't even care what someone may say about my boat choice) - indeed, to my viewpoint folk who rant on about how perfect their boat is (no matter how many hulls or type of Anchor ) tend to slip into my category of "doth protest too much", which tends to make my BS detector start to at least blip.......even if I can't nail down the exact reasons. Nor care greatly .

But I do confess to simply enjoying a bit of chain yanking - especially with the humourless .....hell, it's the internet - would be kinda rude not to indulge .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 07:26   #88
GWB

Quote:
How about giving it a try?! Surely you know somebody with a 40'+ boat... ask if you can come along for a ride and I'm sure you will also find that bigger becomes easier to sail. Sure you need to get used to the length while docking and manouvering in close quarters, but the extra waterline and weight give you extra time without being blown sideways etc.

Out on open water it all gets very simple; boat movement is much more relaxed than with smaller boats, gusts are much less of an event etc etc.

Never just believe or not believe... check it out personally!

ciao!
Nick.
On a long passage I would agree with you. But if you read my post again you will see that I was talking about day-sailing single handed.
Ironically because my boat is heavy it exhibits the tendencies of the bigger boat when it starts to blow or get rough......gusts are handled without fuss (within reason)

Do you day-sail your boat single handed?
Old 15-02-2012, 08:37   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
The reason so few among the cruising community respect Cap'n Fatty's opinions is because he stoops to such inflammatory rhetoric. Honestly, his audience is primarily those inexperienced and underfinanced dreamers who have little chance of actually taking to the high seas. Book sailors. While they get him, the rest of the cruising community generally doesn't.

You begin your comment with "Haven't sailed one myself but...." Honestly, anything that follows that opening is not particularly useful on this forum, where there's plenty enough real-world experience to make such speculation superfluous.

Welcome to the forum.
You failed to provide any of your own insight into Westsails by insulting me and my source of information while saying the message I am conveying is useless. Even thread troll, GWB, who a jab at me for that comment still provided a valuable counter argument by saying his Westsail is fast. The sole purpose of your post was to criticize my post without offering any of your own insight on the matter. This is, in essence, a completely useless post.

You're right, I have never sailed a Westsail let alone set foot on one. However, this is the information I have gathered from this thread as well as other sources: Some people say Westsails are wet, some say they're dry, some say they're slow, some say they're fast, some say they have a small cockpit, some say the smaller cockpit is better. Here's a news flash, half of these people have probably never sailed one either. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and all insight on the matter may be valuable to widget55, who originally proposed the question.

If you want to continue to argue with me, do it in a PM, But to be completely honest, I probably won't respond. This thread is not a playground for trolls, this thread is about Westsail sailboats.

Thanks for the warm welcome people
particlepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 10:40   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

FWIW, the wind conditions for the Three Bridge Fiasco were typical SF Bay winter conditions, in short, very light winds. The worst conditions for a Westsail or any full keel boat because of the wetted surface. Beautiful day to be out on the Bay but not necessarily for sailing and definitely not for sailing fast on any boat. Some classes had a better than 50% DNF and some supposedly go fast one design classes had a third DNF.

Randyonr3, mahalo for your work on the race committee. The Three Bridge Fiasco must be about the biggest race on the Bay and a long day on the water with the light winds.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote