Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2012, 00:58   #1

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Doggy-doo

Our small Jack Russell dog will be living with us on board. What are the best arrangements that live-aboard dog owners have for their dogs to do their jobbies?
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 01:21   #2
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'
Re: Doggy-doo

We took our older (5 and 6 yr.) mini-schnauzers with us when we were cruising the Caribbean. If your dog is adaptable and smart as I have heard Jack Russells are, you should be able to tray train it for when the weather is bad, or teach it to go out past the mast on the foredeck on a piece of astroturf or take it to shore every time it needs to go. We generally walked our dogs on shore twice a day. Do NOT even consider a passage until the dog has adapted to going somehow/somewhere designated on the boat. Some dogs just won't do it and will make themselves very ill. Our dogs almost died on our first passage because they refused to go on the pee pads we tried to train them to. Also, you should be aware that there is an enormous amount of paperwork, vet visits, and inspection fees involved with taking your dog with you. Go to Noonsite and on each countries page is a very basic amount of info on what is required to bring pets to each country. We took our dogs to the BVI, St. Martin (French side), Antiqua, Guadeloupe, Dominica. So many people tried to buy our dogs we were afraid they might get stolen. Also, on BVI there is active underground dogfighting and dog thefts. We had the most trouble in BVI and Dominica. Basically, anywhere formerly a British colony. There is less trouble with the former French colonies but even one or two of those is off limits.
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 02:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH View Post
We took our older (5 and 6 yr.) mini-schnauzers with us when we were cruising the Caribbean. If your dog is adaptable and smart as I have heard Jack Russells are, you should be able to tray train it for when the weather is bad, or teach it to go out past the mast on the foredeck on a piece of astroturf or take it to shore every time it needs to go. We generally walked our dogs on shore twice a day. Do NOT even consider a passage until the dog has adapted to going somehow/somewhere designated on the boat. Some dogs just won't do it and will make themselves very ill. Our dogs almost died on our first passage because they refused to go on the pee pads we tried to train them to. Also, you should be aware that there is an enormous amount of paperwork, vet visits, and inspection fees involved with taking your dog with you. Go to Noonsite and on each countries page is a very basic amount of info on what is required to bring pets to each country. We took our dogs to the BVI, St. Martin (French side), Antiqua, Guadeloupe, Dominica. So many people tried to buy our dogs we were afraid they might get stolen. Also, on BVI there is active underground dogfighting and dog thefts. We had the most trouble in BVI and Dominica. Basically, anywhere formerly a British colony. There is less trouble with the former French colonies but even one or two of those is off limits.
Thanks for that info, as it gives us some idea of the challenge ahead. Our Jack Russell has travelled with us to Europe in our motorhome so he has got an EU "pet passport". I guess we will have to get him boat trained and also just check noonsite re pet requirements for each country we intend to sail to.

Our initial challenge will be when we are mobile looking for a boat to buy. No problem with USA and USVI but if we need to travel from the USA to the Caribbean Islands it will probably have an effect because we are "originating" from the USA, which is a rabies territory (The UK isn't).
Old 05-10-2012, 05:29   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Allow me to speak directly to Jack. Hello Mr. Russell, my name is Zorro and I've been leaving my product on board for many years. You might find it best to start with a pad or carpet, but don't hesitate to aim directly for the deck. I have some support from my crew with a teather when the deck is rocking.

I still enjoy trips ashore, but there's no trouble with days on the boat.

Sincerely, Zorro
PS....Let's do lunch!
Old 05-10-2012, 05:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Allow me to speak directly to Jack. Hello Mr. Russell, my name is Zorro and I've been leaving my product on board for many years. You might find it best to start with a pad or carpet, but don't hesitate to aim directly for the deck. I have some support from my crew with a teather when the deck is rocking.

I still enjoy trips ashore, but there's no trouble with days on the boat.

Sincerely, Zorro
PS....Let's do lunch!
Well, thanks Zorro ... I am a bit smaller than you and my name is actually "Dexter". My Admiral and Skipper are both looking forward to taking me on an adventure that I have never experienced. I am a very brave (and sometimes stupid) little Jack Russell Terrier, but then again I am true to my breed. It's good I can "see" how you do things there and maybe one day I can watch and learn

here is a pic of me when I was younger and one of me now. When I was younger the Admiral and Skipper didn't mind me peeing and pooing all over the place but now they won't smile if I just do it anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dexter at 5 weeks (17).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	404.0 KB
ID:	47638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dexter passport.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	47639