Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2020, 12:11   #31

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Ease of finding crew as blue water cruisers?

Maybe. But only very few people have mental problems. I think the general average is about 5%.

For the US the aggregated figure is a about 45%:

https://www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org...th-statistics/

Off course, over one's lifetime, not each year.

It would be hard to guess if hitchhikers differ in a relevant way from the general public. We should not be swayed by Hollywood movies.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:20   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobane View Post
Where will you be sailing out of - your home base? Just an idea for you, but after one year of sailing on the Chesapeake Bay, with 30 years a boating under my belt and a few Caribbean charters, I sailed the Caribbean 1500 Rally with the World Cruising Club in 2016,2018, and plan on it again for 2020. When you sign up, you have access to their crew list. You register your boat, the sailing opportunity, and set the parameters of your expectations as far as level of experience, expenses, and duties. I’ve been very fortunate to find very competent crew that I still keep in contact with. A couple were type-A personalities, but their virtues outweighed that. To me, compatibility is as important as their skill sets. One I even invited back to the boat for 10 days of sailing the Virgin Islands. Yes, you do pay a fee to join the rally, but to me it’s well worth it. They have extensive safety requirements and inspect the safety gear before departure. They have flare and life raft demonstrations and provide professional weather routing through WRI. The social functions and camaraderie are a plus for me, also. The WCC also does Atlantic crossings and circumnavigations. Good luck.

We will no longer have a "home base" as liveaboards. Our home base will be our catamaran.

If we can work out the timing, we had planned on joining something like the ARC / ARC+ for a crossing.

Cheers.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 15:32   #33

Boat: Oyster 054
Send a message via Skype™ to sailian89

We always ask for references, @nd usually speak with three. Don’t have to be sailing ref. Work is fine, but not just friends. Then add all the above bout clear expectations. REFERENCES ARE KEY!
sailian89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 15:54   #34

You wish for crew to work on YOUR boat.
Follow YOUR dreams
Jump to YOUR decisions
Pay for their OWN flights
Pay for their OWN food
Have no private life of their own
And you're finding it difficult locating crew ?
Mmmmmm wonder why..
mindsofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 16:03   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindsofman View Post
You wish for crew to work on YOUR boat.
Follow YOUR dreams
Jump to YOUR decisions
Pay for their OWN flights
Pay for their OWN food
Have no private life of their own
And you're finding it difficult locating crew ?
Mmmmmm wonder why..

Please, go back and read the original post. Perhaps you misunderstood something.
Old 09-07-2020, 17:39   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailian89 View Post
We always ask for references, @nd usually speak with three. Don’t have to be sailing ref. Work is fine, but not just friends. Then add all the above bout clear expectations. REFERENCES ARE KEY!
I have crewed plenty, you should ask for two things
1, Level of certifications, RYA is better than ASA
2, 3 sailing references
As crew I bring a lot to the boat (RYA Coastal Skipper/Tidal
Padi Advanced open water , ICC)
and expect at a minimum
all on board boat expenses to be captains pays
that’s food,fuel,slip fees, repairs, everything
If we have done a long passage I expect to be allowed
to stay on the boat a bit to rest and sightsee.
I’ve also done deliveries where everything is paid for
once my front door closes behind me and until I open it again.
By the way
I interview boats and captains that want crew
and ask for references (Previous Crew)
I have plenty of horror stories about boats that aren’t
seaworthy and captains who are incompetent.
I’ve been told the boat had an AP and when
i set foot on the boat it’s a box of junk parts
same goes for all other bits you can imagine. When was the last time you exercised the thru-hulls?
Answer, Never they are all good to go.
The list would snap your neck.
I always have enough cash and credit cards to get
home from anywhere the boat is scheduled to pass by.
I also travel with my own Inreach to be able to communicate if everything goes belly up.
Have International Medical and Repatriation insurance
Not all crew are backpacker hitchhiking types.
In my case I just never want to be limited to where
my boat is and I like to be free of the hassle of ownership.
Cheers
Nel
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 18:00   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
My spouse and I are in the process of purchasing a catamaran to become mostly full time live aboard blue water cruisers. I say mostly full time because my spouse will not be on the vessel during any passages longer than 2 or 3 days - hence the need for crew.

Our sailing experience is currently limited but we have been on numerous charters and know what we are getting into from the boat side of the equation. All our charters were either professionally crewed or had a professional captain at a minimum with the guests helping out where required.

We will have a full time captain to train us up for the first six months but I would be looking for help beyond that. The plan would be to do the Atlantic circuit once or twice before moving towards the pacific to see where the winds take us.

Is this sort of endeavour doable / feasible using volunteer crew? Hopefully my thought process isn't too out of line on this matter. Theoretically, the catamaran will be setup for single handed sailing but this isn't something we would ever consider doing.
Dear Sir,
I am a amateur captain with several Atlantic crossings, one in a Catamaran Dean 400. I did build a 44 ' catamaran in the 90ties, sailed it for 2 years and sold it. I am 71 but in good shape and live half in Brazil half in Germany. I wouldn't mind a few trips limited to 2 or 3 months at a time.

Claus L. Kiep - clakiep@terra.com.br
clakiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 18:16   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

We see now that many people who bring on crew have different requirements and expectations. The OP must decide what requirements he is comfortable with. If certifications and references had been required by all the boats I hitched on, I'd never have gotten a ride. I've picked up crew (backpackers) after a five-minute meeting: I think a mellow and easygoing vibe is far more important than a gazillion recommendations and certifications. And though I didn't have to, I have always arranged and paid my crew's expenses and transportation away, even if only a taxi ride to the depot and bus ticket to the next hostel. It sure is nice to be generous if you can afford it, and you can always afford to be a decent person.
Old 09-07-2020, 18:23   #39

Boat: between boats

Ive been crewing on a few passages while between boats lately. Ive done passages with both paid and unpaid crew and both have their pros and cons from a skippers perspective.

If you pay you call the shots. Its not a democracy. You go when you want, stop where you want, provision how you want etc etc. You are 100% responsible too so things are clear to everyone..

Voluntary can work but crew have more perceived ownership in how things run- they often second guess you especially if you are inexperienced. Ive seen otherwise great passages turn to hell due to conflict because of this muddy area. Boats on passage are tiny when you arent getting on.

Worst combo is experienced crew and inexperienced skipper so basically your situation. I would say pay crew for the first season at least maybe 2, then if you want go volunteer but be very selective. Theres an awful lot of nutjobs on the crew finder sites.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 18:28   #40

Boat: Chapparel Signature 24

I completely agree with NaClyDog from crewing POV, and with the owners postings. I have crewed via FindACrew.Net several times, and have had good and bad boats and captains. You seem like a prudent person, so you understand you get what you pay for, so if you want more than a hitchhiker, you will have to pay some.

I myself am retired, and do not have the resources to own my own cruiser, but I have the sea in my blood. I have owned boats on lakes for 40 , have 6000+ ocean miles and my OUPV license, and would be happy to provide my services inexpensively in order to live on the ocean for a while, and there are many others like me. Choose wisely.

Tom
https://www.findacrew.net/en/crew/303803
tomcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 18:30   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Worst combo is experienced crew and inexperienced skipper so basically your situation. I would say pay crew for the first season at least maybe 2, then if you want go volunteer but be very selective. Theres an awful lot of nutjobs on the crew finder sites.

Thank you. This sounds like very wise advice.

Cheers.
Old 09-07-2020, 19:09   #42
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Ive been crewing on a few passages while between boats lately. Ive done passages with both paid and unpaid crew and both have their pros and cons from a skippers perspective.

If you pay you call the shots. Its not a democracy. You go when you want, stop where you want, provision how you want etc etc. You are 100% responsible too so things are clear to everyone..

Voluntary can work but crew have more perceived ownership in how things run- they often second guess you especially if you are inexperienced. Ive seen otherwise great passages turn to hell due to conflict because of this muddy area. Boats on passage are tiny when you arent getting on.

Good post Jon. In the end, when ever anyone posts such a question on the CF, it invariably draws a reaction of worth from cruisers. They feel they should be valued, from high to low. Totally agree, we have value. But the fact is that there are thousands and thousands of moderate sailors who would be happy to do this for free for the experience.
Old 09-07-2020, 19:48   #43

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Crew are hard to find

Yachtmaster course Sea schools are a decent source

Young folks that need sea miles for a ticket

Be careful with alternative lifestyle types

Be careful with anyone unemployed

Be careful with nationalities and visa issues

The yachtmaster mile builder type crew , from
A sea school, will require paid expenses , air ticket and good quality sailing , safety gear

You should notify your insurance company that you will have temporary crew

I’ve had good luck with these young folks

So you’re going to look for employed people for long term cruising riiiiight
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 23:23   #44

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Maybe. But only very few people have mental problems. I think the general average is about 5%.

For the US the aggregated figure is a about 45%:

https://www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org...th-statistics/

Off course, over one's lifetime, not each year.

It would be hard to guess if hitchhikers differ in a relevant way from the general public. We should not be swayed by Hollywood movies.

b.
Hmmmm, I think mental illness is alive and well in everyone, I think it's just the degrees that vary, or definition....of course I'm an exception.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 23:26   #45

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Thank you. This sounds like very wise advice.

Cheers.
Thus stick to women. Soon or later guy crew want to be Capt or think they know better.

At the end of the day it's your boat and you bear the weight of responsibility, it takes time to nicely establish your authority, it's not a democracy while undef passage, I explain this in advance.

I prefer women crew.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, crew, cruise, cruiser, water