Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2020, 09:10   #76

Re: Ease of finding crew as blue water cruisers?

Dear NaClyDog,

It depends what you are looking for. I for one do not own a boat and are always looking for friends that own boats. I do not consider myself a professional, but I am an ASA Instructor and have many hours logged on boats of "friends", including an Atlantic Crossing and both my wife and I are retired. There are many of us out there who would would consider crewing from a week to a couple of months. It is more of a vacation for me and I don't mind a little labor to fix things and share in the daily work of sailing, cleaning, and cooking, however, I am not a slave. The fairest way that I have experienced is the owner of the boat pays for all boat costs, including fuel, provisions on board, port fees, etc. As crew, we expect to share in the mooring and marina fees. We cover the cost our transportation to/from and meals ashore. The biggest factor is compatibility and attitude of the skipper/owner. We (my wife is less skilled as a sailor) go for the adventure and the experience not to be someones butler. You may find similar people like us on web sites like CrewSeekers.net.
TheZenSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 01:50   #77

I maybe able to help. Over the past 12 years cruised nearly constantly around the world.
Now looking for a new challenge. If interested send me a message on Whatsapp +60 13310 8265. No smoking and very moderate drinking.
Never on passage.
James Mackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 11:24   #78

Boat: Stevens 47

When we were near North America we would occasionally get crew from former students or friends from home as we had a newborn and two pre-teens. As we were further into the South Pacific the logistic became more complicated so we turned to recruiting from youth hostels. We were not looking for experienced sailors but somebody up for some adventure, reliable and good with children. An interview process is definitely required as there is rather a wide variety of characters in the hostels but it worked well for us. Now that the older two children are teenagers and competent watchstanders we do without extra crew even for our last 3700 nm passage up to the Aleutians from Micronesia.

Tags
blue water, crew, cruise, cruiser, water