Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 19:37   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Effective method of keeping birds off boat

Owls don't work. That is sort of the running joke around our marina, plastic owls with bird poop dripping off their heads.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 20:00   #17

Boat: Nor'Sea 27
Send a message via Skype™ to quartersplash

I taped shishcabob bamboo sticks with the sharp points up to my bow pulpits and stopped 98% of the pelican bombs!
quartersplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 20:14   #18

Boat: PETERSON 44
I'm not upset I'm amused. Mama was up in the coaming laying eggs while I fuss about cleaning up from earlier attempts. 3 hours she's up there until I guess well she gave up the roost And came flying out. somehow she knocked out the front dodger panels and snuck back in. Really it's all good just a unexpected mess and surprise she was up in the coaming laying more all the while.seems like alot of ducks up on the river this year. Osprey population looks pretty hardy too. And she just came back right in the open front panel. Ithink I'm a papa duck for the season. Seems like a bold persistent one.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:36   #19

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood

we hang old CD's on a couple of lines fore and aft totaly stopped the crap artists. they dont like the light reflection from them.
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:41   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelsgood View Post
we hang old CD's on a couple of lines fore and aft totaly stopped the crap artists. they dont like the light reflection from them.
these are a huge problem for humans--the bright flashes from the cd's actually causes pain in human eyes and causes loss of vision to anything around. can be quite a problem in an anchorage. a neighbor in the anchorage here used the cds, and was very p0ainful---i could not remain in my cockpit 80 yds away. very disturbing. i do not see how the folks can sail with them in place--but they do.is dangerous.
i use tarps in a beneficial manner in conjunction with my gato and have had ZERO problem.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 15:49   #21

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Effective Method of Keeping Birds off Boat

I ran a couple flags up to the spreaders and that chased away most of the birds. There are a couple that like the masthead, but there is very little standing room up there.

For the most part though the deck and canvas is sans poo now.

Around the area where I am now has a lot of wooded area, there are often eagles and hawks floating around above in hunting patterns. When they are around Boo is sent below to nap.
Old 08-05-2012, 16:14   #22

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Owls don't work. That is sort of the running joke around our marina, plastic owls with bird poop dripping off their heads.
Absolutely true. I worked at an airfield where they used a plastic owl in one of the hangars, complete with owl calls on a tape loop. The pigeons didn't seem to mind at all.

My vote is for the wire (or fishing line). Anything that annoys the birds without bugging me gets two thumbs up.
Old 08-05-2012, 16:27   #23

Boat: Silverton 42

A few years ago I bought an eagle. Not a live one - but a very well designed kite made of a special paper that doesn't tear. It's life size, it's strung from a short fish line and in 3 Kms of wind it starts to fly. In about 7 Kms of wind it flaps it's wings and looks amazingly real. It also swoops and dives. I purchased it online thru jackite.com and you can get any number of birds of prey. It was about $100.00. Not cheap but it works amazingly well. One tip - buy the assembled version. Although its tempting to save 10.00 for the assembly it's a pain in the ass, took 3 days (drying time between steps) and cost more than $15 in additional supplies. The assembled version is shipped in a tube. It's also a conversation starter. I bought 2. The first unassembled and the 2nd assembled. I have no interest in the company but I am a satisfied customer. Cheers,
Bill

PS. I started a thread called "Bird Poop - Who needs it?" some years ago reporting on my other efforts (netting) and providing more details on the kite.
Bill Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 18:14   #24

Boat: PETERSON 44
I hive up this year I'm the hatchery. Damn duck . I'm trying a different method. I'm laying out some fake ostrich eggs on deck. Now what duck would mess with a bird that can lay out that kind of egg..
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:07   #25

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I hive up this year I'm the hatchery. Damn duck . I'm trying a different method. I'm laying out some fake ostrich eggs on deck. Now what duck would mess with a bird that can lay out that kind of egg..
A duck with big ambitions.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:45   #26
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce626 View Post
In a tropical area, what are the most effective means of keeping birds off of the boat? Not that I have anything intrinsically against birds, I just object to the droppings messing up my catamaran. I have tried recycling plastic bags into bird shooing items - which seems to work when the wind blows, but the bags blow to tatters and eventually end up in the sea - so a better solution is needed. I heard that plastic owls might work but if there are no natural owls locally, one wonders if birds will be afraid to them. I heard that plastic snakes might work and there are snakes here, but I spoke with a person who tried this and while local workers wouldn't set foot on his boat - the birds seemed not to be bothered. It seems like an animal with an animosity to birds might be a solution - but this seems like trading many small droppings for fewer larger ones. Surely this must be a widespread problem to which someone has found solutions.

Birds soon learn that the plastic thing never moves and is not really a threat. Moving things in the right places physically prevent the birds. So those wire "umbrellas" will protect small areas. Swinging CD's make it hard for them to land.

Nothing will protect from a flock of small green parrots circling the area -- YUCK!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:49   #27
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
bubba has seen owls and other huge birds, and with tarps on boat topsides, burdees of size cannot eat my gato. besides they run for cover when a predator comes in sight... trust me on that one--bubba comes inside FAST...

try soaking covers after removal from cushions...then wash in good detergent by hand...

Not an unrealistic fear. An osprey came to a friend's boat to try to snatch his cockatoo. Fortunately the cockatoo was in a cage but the poor guy went apesh*t screaming.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote