Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2009, 17:37   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Of course you can go to the Bahamas. You could go farther than that - cross an ocean. Boats are about going places. I know you're nervous about the sail thing but besides being really green it gives you freedom from the fuel dock.

Just don't do it right away - get to know your boat really well by taking a wide variety of easy trips. Find some old guy (or gal) at the marina who wants to show you how it's done. The only "charge" will be listening to a bunch of their stories and maybe a little beer.

If you're half as interesting as you sound, you'll have no problem gathering up some experienced crew for your trip to the Bahamas or beyond.

Carl
Thanks Carl that is really encouraging. I have no plans of heading off anywhere anytime soon but I am sure eventually I will want to go somewhere new, I am usually good for about 2-3 years in one place so I assume I will get sick of the ICW eventually as well.

Thank you for the info!
twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 17:51   #47

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty View Post
But i also know there hasnt been anything life has thrown at me yet that I can't handle.
But then, you haven't had the sea throw it's self at you, have you?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 17:57   #48

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
twisty,

TaoJones has said about all of it as far as my thoughts. I only add one comment.

There is a large difference between creating biodiesel and burning straight vegetable oil. I read those forums and links for a year or so too. Plus, in Florida at least, most all the restaurants have contracts with companies (one has almost the whole state locked up) that provide tanks etc and collect it. It would be difficult to get enough to run that 57 footer.

Which brings me full circle to what TaoJones says.

A power cat (there are others) would be your MEOW!

Best of luck!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 18:44   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
But then, you haven't had the sea throw it's self at you, have you?
I haven't had the open ocean thrown at me yet, but I never doubt for second it isn't going to happen eventually.

I have been wet more than a time or two that could have turned out a lot worse. The first being nosing into a wave in the inlet that should have been the end of us. It was my first time out in the ocean, a friend stopped by said his boat was fueled and ready to go, I went. He bought a bigger boat the next week.

The second was taking an 8 ft wave broadside in a small chaos boat fishing for drum off the beach. The capt was gawking, guess who got wet in 60 degree water... it wasn't him.

But my first year here I was out there 3 times a week, and learned that not all things the ocean throws at you are bad, in fact they are pretty spectacular. My very first stream trip I was checking out the view over the side while feeding the fish my partially digested lunch when a loggerhead surfaced just feet from my face.

After that a 10ft somekinda shark decided it would swoop in from out of the depths and eat the black seabass I was reeling up from the bottom. All the while the capt was standing on the fly yelling hold the &*^@ on to that rod, thats a big damn shark.

I have also learned that some sea creatues really do know when you are trying to help. Like the 150lbs loggerhead did as we were cutting numerous hooks out of her mouth and unwrapping the plastic bags from around her flippers.

So good and bad, spectacular and dangerous what ever the ocean throws at me I am willing to accept.
Old 19-01-2009, 18:54   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
twisty,

TaoJones has said about all of it as far as my thoughts. I only add one comment.

There is a large difference between creating biodiesel and burning straight vegetable oil. I read those forums and links for a year or so too. Plus, in Florida at least, most all the restaurants have contracts with companies (one has almost the whole state locked up) that provide tanks etc and collect it. It would be difficult to get enough to run that 57 footer.

Which brings me full circle to what TaoJones says.

A power cat (there are others) would be your MEOW!

Best of luck!
I was under the impression (I read somewhere) that those collection companies do the same thing they do here, they collect, filter, treat and then resell the oils they collect. Here it is $450 a metric tonne $500 delivered, so about $900 to $1000 to fill her up.

You are right though a cat would solve a couple of my problems a lot more efficiently and will give me enough reading to do that I won't make any hastey decisions.
Old 19-01-2009, 19:00   #51

Boat: Beneteau 50
Twisty,

It's very hard to put into words but I will try. There's something special about feeling your sailboat take off across the water as you pull in on the sails. The first moment when she heels (tilts) a little and accellerates is the best part. (And those sails make for a more comfortable ride, too.) The thought that you can go anywhere with little to tie you down, just adds to the overall experience.

You sound like someone that would learn sailing very quickly. You could start with lessons on a smaller boat and work up to a bigger boat. If nothing else, you'll know what to do when you are invited onto a neighbor's sailboat, or be able to handle a sailing dinghy for cruising around your anchorage. At most, you'll discover a love of sailing that many have discovered. Something that would fit ito your overall plans very well.

Bottom line: take a sailing lesson or two and see if you like it.

(And you have me enrolled. Good luck with the adventure!)
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 19:13   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bene505 View Post
Twisty,

It's very hard to put into words but I will try. There's something special about feeling your sailboat take off across the water as you pull in on the sails. The first moment when she heels (tilts) a little and accellerates is the best part. (And those sails make for a more comfortable ride, too.) The thought that you can go anywhere with little to tie you down, just adds to the overall experience.

You sound like someone that would learn sailing very quickly. You could start with lessons on a smaller boat and work up to a bigger boat. If nothing else, you'll know what to do when you are invited onto a neighbor's sailboat, or be able to handle a sailing dinghy for cruising around your anchorage. At most, you'll discover a love of sailing that many have discovered. Something that would fit ito your overall plans very well.

Bottom line: take a sailing lesson or two and see if you like it.

(And you have me enrolled. Good luck with the adventure!)
I am taking this to heart, and will do it before making a final decision. Just looked it up and there is a place not to far from here that offers not only a basic class but also a cruising and an advanced two day overnight course. I will be calling them tomorrow.

Thank you!
Old 19-01-2009, 19:16   #53

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
I was under the impression (I read somewhere) that those collection companies do the same thing they do here, they collect, filter, treat and then resell the oils they collect. Here it is $450 a metric tonne $500 delivered, so about $900 to $1000 to fill her up.

You are right though a cat would solve a couple of my problems a lot more efficiently and will give me enough reading to do that I won't make any hastey decisions.

I don't know about where you are.

I do know a person that works for this big company and they make biodiesel out of all sorts of things (it is amazing - carbon chains and all) used oil being one of them. They then sell the diesel.

Now if you are thinking of burning plain old oil and can get it, that would be cool. Not too difficult to install circulator, filters and a pre-warmer for it. Pre-warmer maybe not needed in the tropics.

I read somewhere about someone that found a supplier of fresh, unused oil that was cheaper in the long run - his figures, so he just bought "new" LOL.

I am sure you will research the stuff before you dump it in your tank and find that there are some oils now that are being used to cook that will NOT work in the engine - as in ruin it. I think I remember peanut oil but cannot be sure.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 20:18   #54

Boat: islandpacket
boat

I don't have much experience with large power boats, but my understanding is depending on the boat some use tens of gallons an hour or just a few and a long trip other than time can cost thousands of $$ more. Even if green it still cost money. The less you use the lower the cost and the less pollution. My sail boat has a motor and I use it all the time. I was in charleston last spring to a seminar with the great loop
http://www.greatloop.com/topic.asp?pid=1
sounds like a great trip and it sounds like you have the time. Check out some books. 32k for one rebuild. I could never afford that. I cant believe the cost. Just one other thing, fixing a boat is nothing like a house. I love wood boats, but would never buy one.

Best of luck. we have all been there and we offer only encouragement and experience. Some of our experiences has not been good and we pass that on also as we don't want to see you overwhelmed.
Old 19-01-2009, 20:28   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I will prolly get strange comments no matter what I do
If you consider you could still be nuts I don't see much choice. If you look at things different you have a handicap by many peoples standards and that is all they need to know. If you want something that works and makes you happy then it requires a whole lot of looking at things from another point of view. Being nuts may have contributed to your eyesight. Just a little nuts is not all that bad. Too nuts and they lock you up.

This is just one thread and already the ideas are over flowing. We should reach 21,000 threads by the time you reach the end of the alternatives. There are a lot of technical details to any adventure such as this and I use the word adventure because it's supposed to be one. Technical details matter only if you actually leave.

We have the technical details on a lot of alternatives so all you have to do is connect the dots. From all I know it's mostly about showing up. If you plan it right it lasts longer. I suggest going for a really long one. The rest of your life works. The money has to work and it ALL is supposed to be fun. If you only do that much being insane could work.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 21:10   #56

This doesn't sound nuts at all. It seems more than reasonable. Why not? You have the money, you have the time, you're starting off in familiar territory, you're traveling with someone else... You can learn what you don't already know about sailing.

It's a terrific idea, and I'm a little jealous that you get to embark on this journey so soon!

--
Looking for Freedom
SMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 21:15   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMcD View Post
This doesn't sound nuts at all. It seems more than reasonable. Why not? You have the money, you have the time, you're starting off in familiar territory, you're traveling with someone else... You can learn what you don't already know about sailing.

It's a terrific idea, and I'm a little jealous that you get to embark on this journey so soon!

--
Looking for Freedom

Soon to you, for me it seems like I have been waiting a lifetime.
Old 19-01-2009, 21:25   #58

Quote:
Soon to you, for me it seems like I have been waiting a lifetime.
It's great to see someone starting to live out her dream! Good for you, and best wishes.

--
Looking for Freedom
SMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 22:19   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMcD View Post

--
Looking for Freedom
Forget being jealous of Twisty!

I am just wondering if she wants another son? I can ask before doing and not do before asked just like the one she's got - LOL.

And a 50+ foot boat? If mom can swing that deal, I say, sweeeeeeeet.

And for all my friends trying to talk Twisty into a sailboat. Leave the poor lady alone already. Yes docking a 57 footer is probably daunting but you rarely take it where there ain't no dockhands. And she's already said she is gonna be on the hook most of the time so with the proper gear that shouldn't be too bad.

OTOH - Pulling strings on a 55+ foot sailboat is pretty daunting also.

I like either the power cat or sailing cat idea but it seems Twisty has strong opinoins on stuff too.

(BTW - MarkJ is a decent enough bloke and this is the internet. Ya gotta expect a lot of different opinions)
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 23:08   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Forget being jealous of Twisty!

I am just wondering if she wants another son? I can ask before doing and not do before asked just like the one she's got - LOL.

And a 50+ foot boat? If mom can swing that deal, I say, sweeeeeeeet.

And for all my friends trying to talk Twisty into a sailboat. Leave the poor lady alone already. Yes docking a 57 footer is probably daunting but you rarely take it where there ain't no dockhands. And she's already said she is gonna be on the hook most of the time so with the proper gear that shouldn't be too bad.

OTOH - Pulling strings on a 55+ foot sailboat is pretty daunting also.

I like either the power cat or sailing cat idea but it seems Twisty has strong opinoins on stuff too.

(BTW - MarkJ is a decent enough bloke and this is the internet. Ya gotta expect a lot of different opinions)
LOL I don't know about another son, the one I have is a pretty good kid I don't think I could ever find another one like him. I actually had one of the local cops come up to me about 2 months ago to tell me how I have raised such a great kid. He said "You know your son is the only one I don't have to check on what he is doing when he is wandering around the island at 2am" I as dumbfounded.

You are right I do have strong opinions but the are mostly out of fear of the unknown, I have been on a sailboat once, I was 12, enough said...lol After all the input here though I am going to go take some sailing lessons and see how that works, I don't want to dismiss something having never REALLY tried it. It would be a disservice to myself, hell I may find I absolutely love it, who knows, so I ill give it a shot. The experience will be well worth it no matter what I decide.

I am really warming up to the catamaran idea though, if it wasn't going to freaking snow tomorrow I would be headed up the island to talk to a friend of a friend who has one and get a good look at it. Damn snow. I can't wait to get on my boat and get away from this crap!