Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2007, 10:34   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey
Yeah!

And to add to that " No matter how well you dress up the pigs, they're still pigs"

That 18th birthday is what legaly seperates one from their parents. Take advantage of it! If they didn't convince ya'll how to live then, it's too late now. Or just maybe, their way is not the right way!
"The problem with wrestleing with pigs in mud is that you both get dirty, but the pig loves it!"
Old 11-05-2007, 11:19   #32

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
Family

We are 1 -2 years from leaving and I am starting to catch some noise from family. Mostly a " your taking our grandkid far away from us!" stuff from her parents. That and the reason my mother divorced my dad was over sailing. He did, she didn't...nough said.

I've politely told all complaining parties that we are leaving whether they like it or not and they can either enjoy and be happy for us and make the best of it, or they can be unhappy about it. We are going to be happy one way or the other (heck the wife suggested we go!)

I'm getting several lines:
1) "Your throwing your money away on a boat, why don't you go invest it in a house where at least you won't lose money. A house is an investment!" to which my answer is " I don't like the house I live in right now, but it's acceptable for right now. If I choose to move back I have two rental properties and I could go live in one of those if I so choose to. This is our choice to do this, we will suffer any consequences or joys from our decision and it is not the end of the world."
2) "How are you going to earn a living on a boat to support your family?" to which my answer is "Easy, I'm going to take my job with me and work between 2/3 and 3/4 less time for the same money. (I have since proved this and it usually evokes some incredulous and envious looks) This is our choice to do this, we will suffer any consequences or joys from our decision and it is not the end of the world."
3) "What about Health Insurance for you and your family?" to which my answer (especially to my extreme liberal mother) is "We will purchase catastrophic insurance and have a cash supply for emergencies. We will spend most of our time cruising the US coast and great lakes for a couple of years to see if we like it and (heres the best part) if we get hurt , we will make use of the that great emergency medical care offered here in the US that they can't deny. This is our choice to do this, we will suffer any consequences or joys from our decision and it is not the end of the world." Are you seeing the reoccuring theme here?
4) Well what about schooling for Bree and, and, and.... I will always give a rational logical explaination that ends with (you guessed it) This is our choice to do this, we will suffer any consequences or joys from our decision and it is not the end of the world."

Worked so far. My mother in law has taken to trying to bribe me with good food to bring her only grandchild back as often as possible. So other than an expanding waistline, most everyone else so far doesn't have a leg to stand on.

2divers
Old 11-05-2007, 11:37   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Just stop talking to anyone who is angering you or upsetting you. This includes friends, family... anyone. If they care about you, they will re-initiate contact, but don't let them behave in the old ways. Pull away if they lay into you about the boat, while at the same time be nice to them about everything else. They'll learn.

Life is too short to waste on being stressed out over jerks. Eliminate them from the picture (by not talking... this isn't the guns thread!!)
Well said.

Let me add.
90 percent of the people in the world are AXXHXXXX so that leaves 10 percent to chose your friends from.

Never love anyone who doesn’t love you.
Bring Back New Orleans

Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:33   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
90 percent of the people in the world are AXXHXXXX
Awwww com'on Jim. Thats a bit ruff.
Quote:
Never love anyone who doesn’t love you.
And that's a bit selfish.
That kinda view of the world will leave you a very lonely and bitter person. The kind of person others would then end up wanting to avoid.
A line from a song from long ago, "if nobody loves you, create the demand".

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 13:12   #35

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Be well armed with facts:

Your ruining kids life and education:

Homeschooling beats private schools which beat public schools in every subject matter. EPAA Vol. 7 No. 8 Rudner: Home School Students, 1998

Immersion learning of languages and cultures is the fastest and most effective way of learning. CAL: Digests: What Parents Want to Know About Foreign Language Immersion Programs

Your being foolish with a boat and should invest in a house:
let's see, the 100 year rate of return from real estate is zero after adjusting for inflation MONEY magazine: Irrational Exuberance by Robert J. Shiller - Jan. 25, 2005

Safety:

Um, it's safer in the Unites States? Really? NationMaster - Statistics > Murders (per capita) by country

Leading a purposeless life:

Yes, I'm sure that the company pin and good bye cake for retiring after 35 years of service is really worth your entire life vs exploring with your wife and kids all of the worlds cultures and natural wonders. The simplest things that you can bring to many other countries will have a profound impact, vitamens in Guatemala, simple toys in Cuba and medicines... or you could stay in the suburb and stare at the back of another house while wasting life watching mindless TV shows like everyone else.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 14:51   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
Awwww com'on Jim. Thats a bit ruff.

And that's a bit selfish.
That kinda view of the world will leave you a very lonely and bitter person. The kind of person others would then end up wanting to avoid.
It just means chose wisely when it comes to friends and lovers. I prefer to think of it as me making the decision as who to avoid. I do not judge on appearance, education, age, intelligence,race,I make my judgments on how I am treated. Of course sailors are never included in the avoid group. I do agree with your quote.
Bring Back New Orleans

Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 23:51   #37

Boat: Lotus 10.6
I would have to disagree. I reckon 99% of people are Rsoles. Geez Alan, you are in the top 1%!!!!! Well done. congratulations. You are a good bastard.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2007, 15:07   #38

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
This is, without a doubt, the quote of the day.