Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2017, 16:45   #31

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116
Re: Favorite modification/hack for liveaboards?

Additional Fridge and Freezers? That opens up a discussion of the 12vt chest type Fridge /Freezers.
I've looked at those offered by West Marine, other than 3 or 4 sizes ...... can we discuss the positives and negative of the various brands?
Olddan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 23:58   #32

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
Additional Fridge and Freezers? That opens up a discussion of the 12vt chest type Fridge /Freezers.
I've looked at those offered by West Marine, other than 3 or 4 sizes ...... can we discuss the positives and negative of the various brands?

I’ve got the Dometic CFX50. It’s pricey but is a great piece of kit and very good on power.

I run it off 12v no problem. It will go down to -22c and you adjust the temperature of your beer via the app.

It weighs 20kg and is a bit bulky for its size but that is down to the insulation.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 00:25   #33

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

I just wonder if domestic freezers are more efficient, bigger and better insulated then the marine / camping freezers from dometic / thedford or whatever.

A domestic A+++ top-loader freezer box can store food for some months below -22°C and will be opened only 1 ore 2 times a week to stock up the smaller freezer in the galley. It would be perfect if one could replace the compressor motor by a 12V equivalent and the heat exchange from air to sea-water. should get then even more efficient and the ambient environment cooler. If you add a thick aluminum plate on the bottom as storage for the cold you can even run the freezer solar only during the day time and keep it cold with less power consumption during the night (turn compressor on above -15°C).
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 01:01   #34

My favorite today was installing a hard dodger and top over the cockpit and a stern arch. The hardtop allowed for installation of 4X110W solar panels (unobstructed by the boom) and the arch is used to raise the dinghy, etc.

Prior to installing the hardtop my then most favorite hack was installing a decent sized swimming platform. A naval architect/boat builder friend helped me with the load calculations and design as my plan was to have a platform which would hold a bunch of adults and scuba gear - app. 800lbs total. He put in a margin of safety and designed it for at least 1,200lbs. Today, when me and my g/f sit on the platform with a drink in hand watching the sunset, I tell her that we can do anything on that platform and it would not budge.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 11:06   #35

My 12vt fridge seems to have a lot of misc half used bottles of salad dressing, syrup etc.
They take up a lot of space. If I relocate them to a separate 12vt fridge I would gain lots of useable space. I have a nice place to put it in the tank room of the American Tug IF I lose things I have there now.
Per WiFi control, that would require WiFi
Old 26-09-2017, 11:28   #36

Boat: Valiant 40

Luci lights. One would be hard pressed to own too many. It serves so many uses it's crazy:

- Deck level anchor light
- Cockpit lights
- Work light for areas that are difficult to access
- Dinghy light
- Picnic light

Being inflatable, you can literally throw them. Can't see in the back of the locker to see what's what? Throw a Luci in there...

Mine all live in a row under the dodger during the day, happily charging away.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 08:57   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
I’ve got the Dometic CFX50. It’s pricey but is a great piece of kit and very good on power.

I run it off 12v no problem. It will go down to -22c and you adjust the temperature of your beer via the app.

It weighs 20kg and is a bit bulky for its size but that is down to the insulation.
Mike, the Dometic is the time honored compressor.... There is another technology that does not use a compressor. I have forgotten the name..... I was wondering if you have heard of it and like to hear opinions.
Old 27-09-2017, 09:09   #38

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

There are three techniques:

1.) Compressor cooling
2.) Absorption cooling (ammonia burners, run on shore power, 12V, propane, petroleum or any other heat source)
3.) Peltier-effect elements (semi-conductor cooling)

compressor is the most efficient way, absorption is the most versatile, peltier is the most compact one, used for small portable boxes - usually no deep freeze.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 09:36   #39

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
Mike, the Dometic is the time honored compressor.... There is another technology that does not use a compressor. I have forgotten the name..... I was wondering if you have heard of it and like to hear opinions.

I only ever considered a compressor. From PC cooling days I remember that peltiers aren’t very efficient, and Ive not considered gas.

I also have a Danfoss compressor in a built in fridge. That fridge needs ripping out and rebuilding as it smells. When it is taken out I might just go for another 12v all in one unit. The danfoss uses 2 to 3 amps when getting down to temperature. The Dometic seems to use less.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 09:57   #40

CatNewBee, thank you for your fast response.

Let's eliminate the ammonia burners.
My choices are between the compressor cooling and the Peltier-effect cooling.
Once I had the name I did a little reading, via the net. I was discouraged after reading about the Peltier-effect.
Now, I am down to one choice, compressor cooling.
Thanks again,
Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
There are three techniques:

1.) Compressor cooling
2.) Absorption cooling (ammonia burners, run on shore power, 12V, propane, petroleum or any other heat source)
3.) Peltier-effect elements (semi-conductor cooling)

compressor is the most efficient way, absorption is the most versatile, peltier is the most compact one, used for small portable boxes - usually no deep freeze.
Old 27-09-2017, 12:42   #41

The 34ft has very limited storage space. In an attempt to increase the storage I added 4 small cabinets. End result is, a small but reasonable increase but, I am still stuck with the same small hanging closet.
Old 27-09-2017, 13:32   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
I’ve got the Dometic CFX50.
Mike they do make a roller tray, making it easier to slide, in a confined space.

Tags
liveaboard