Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 12:27   #61

Boat: Catalina 36
Re: FEMALES: Live Aboard Essentials Help Please

Oh, and one other thing... They're not inexpensive (not really expensive either), but the SO and I the Kuhn Rikon Colori knives on board. There are a bunch of different sizes/colors, but here's an example:
Kuhn Rikon Colori Art Chef's and Paring Knife, Blue Polka Dot : Amazon.com : Kitchen & Dining

Cool thing about these is that they come with those plastic sheaths, which are pretty sturdy and make them way easier to store on the boat. Plus, the painted "nonstick" also adds another barrier against rust. Most stainless knives are not completely rust-proof.

We also love the inexpensive ceramic paring knives you can get, especially for things like slicing fruit... They never rust (no metal!), never go dull (super sharp) and cost $10: Amazon.com: Farberware Ceramic 3-Inch Paring Knife with Sheath, Soft Grip Handle: Kitchen & Dining
FlyMeAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:58   #62
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i use the same cookware i used in my land home. there is no reason not to. there is no magic associated with cooking on a boat.
it is a stove.
it is a pan.
it is food.
it cooks.
bingo.
done. use what makes you happy or you wont want to use it. simple.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 13:25   #63

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Someone above mentioned zip locks. Definitely an indispensable item! I always have lots in at least two sizes. Also, if you happen to have a chest type fridge, putting like items in a larger bag can make finding things easier--zip locks of various cheeses in a larger zip lock containing cheeses, for example. There is less hassle searching the fridge for that bag of whatever.

An airtight but fairly tall & flat container can hold your washed greens & perhaps some clean veggies like a crisper, and saves them from getting bruised in the fridge.

We like & use china & stemware on board but there are times when some disposable plates are warranted.

Drink cozies are also essential & would seem to be an obvious item, but they are hard to find in some countries so make sure you've got a supply and tupperware or such that fits into them. If you've a few extra, they double as a safe container to drop your EVOO or vinegar bottle into in their locker. Speaking of cozies, buying large bottles & filling a glass is usually much more economical & easier to deal with than multiple cans of beer, pop, or whatever.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 15:38   #64

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
Someone above mentioned zip locks. Definitely an indispensable item! I always have lots in at least two sizes. Also, if you happen to have a chest type fridge, putting like items in a larger bag can make finding things easier--zip locks of various cheeses in a larger zip lock containing cheeses, for example. There is less hassle searching the fridge for that bag of whatever. An airtight but fairly tall & flat container can hold your washed greens & perhaps some clean veggies like a crisper, and saves them from getting bruised in the fridge. We like & use china & stemware on board but there are times when some disposable plates are warranted. Drink cozies are also essential & would seem to be an obvious item, but they are hard to find in some countries so make sure you've got a supply and tupperware or such that fits into them. If you've a few extra, they double as a safe container to drop your EVOO or vinegar bottle into in their locker. Speaking of cozies, buying large bottles & filling a glass is usually much more economical & easier to deal with than multiple cans of beer, pop, or whatever.
I forgot my favorite little luxury item. I have a few 32 oz Tervis cups (double walled insulated plastic cups with lids that can do hot or cold liquids). There are literally thousands of designs or just blank. There are also some knockoffs but I can't say how good they are. Tervis are made here in the US with a lifetime warranty although I doubt they'd cover going overboard.

We call them the adult sippy cups. They keep my beverage cold for much longer than a coz I although I no longer use those either.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:24   #65
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

About that feminine hygiene that people keep mentioning... Mooncups are the way to go. We discussed them way back here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...e-42826-3.html
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:20   #66

Thank you everyone!!! I have taken so many notes and have a ton to follow up on and look into. Thank you!
SimplerLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 15:37   #67
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Couldn't find the original photo I wanted to share, but then realised I'm wearing a vest top right now, so just took a photo as best I could with my short arms. This is a really old top, I do have nicer, newer tops which aren't so wrinkly and which don't need knots in the straps!!!

Basically, it's a vest, but with a cotton bra/boob tube type lining. It doesn't give much support, but it does stop them swinging into boat parts, and it does stop the under boob sweat from dribbling down my tummy!

I was actually hoping for something more revealing .........so I contacted Saucy Sailoress by PM and she sent me a pic without the vest . and with a bucket .

She said that if anyone else wants to see the pic then to PM her .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 08:46   #68
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

I was actually hoping for something more revealing .........so I contacted Saucy Sailoress by PM and she sent me a pic without the vest . and with a bucket .

She said that if anyone else wants to see the pic then to PM her .
Don't PM me. I'm far too busy with the requests I already have. Send the PM to DOJ, he can forward it, since he let the cat out of the bag!!!

As for the bucket, well, it's OK... but nothing will ever beat the first one.
Old 19-11-2013, 09:17   #69

Awesome! Thanks for all the detailed feedback!
SimplerLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 09:57   #70

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Bucket? In that case a rinse down on the back deck, and adequate shower on the boat. We use the sink long faucet hose thingy for rinse off, and the shower long hose thingy to rinse off the chain. so all you might have to due is change the faucets with a long hose.

Friday night it was dark rainy windy and my wife made the comment as we snuggled up in our quilts to read, it would be really nice on night like this to have a fire place. So we went to Lows to looked at those fake electric fire places. We bought one that shows the fake flame, and has an electric heater, 750 or 1500 watt, that added a nice ambiance to the boat. Got to keep the wife happy!

rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 10:25   #71
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ket-90218.html

How could we forget. You need bucket. THAT is essential for a female cruiser... (I guess we should thank DOJ for reminding us - where would we be without him?)
Old 23-12-2013, 08:29   #72

Check out this website. Kathy Parson has compiled a list of things that experience has fought her and other cruising women. http://www.womenandcruising.com/
Sailorman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 14:04   #73

I thought you may want to have a sanitation disposal system. I found the SENSIBLES Sanitary disposal bags, that can be bought on amazon. Is worth the time to investigate for you. Hope this helps
KORI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease