Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2015, 12:11   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Filling Prescriptions While Cruising?

Do any of you guys cruise with a PDR? (Physicians desk reference) so you can ID drugs?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 13:01   #17

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

There are other sources of drug info besides the PDR. Go to B&N or similar large bookstore and you will find a selection. Of course you should have something in this vein, for dosage, drug interactions, side effects, etc.

Just remember that often the same drug has a different name elsewhere. Famously in the UK what is known as Paracetemol is known as Tylenol in the US, and IIRC even the generic names are different. However usually modern drugs do have the same generic name everywhere.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 20:36   #18

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

In addition to your medication's name, generic name, know the actual checmical name/makeup and doseage quantity/amounts. Some years ago I was cruising the Marquesas with friends. He was taking hypertension medication and his supply ended up destroyed. We were able to get the actual chemical names and doseages and found the local pharmacist in Taihoe Baie Nuku Hiva. She didn't speak English however, she was very dedicated and kind. We carefully read labels and found the compounds, although separately and not in one tablet form, that replaced the prescription he had been given.
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 21:02   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
There are other sources of drug info besides the PDR. Go to B&N or similar large bookstore and you will find a selection. Of course you should have something in this vein, for dosage, drug interactions, side effects, etc..
Could the internet be a source, too?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 21:34   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post
So my brother, a longtime cocaine addict since recovered, you would have killed?

How many innocent people/children have drug traffickers/users killed? There's a 50 year civil war going on in this country that involves a battle for control of the 750 metric tons of almost pure coke produced here annually.

I'm just taking a shot in the dark though, I realize that if I could wave a magic wand and eliminate all drugs in a day, synthetics would instantly appear for a higher price and be just as available. It's a very complicated problem, and I don't have any easy answers.

I really don't care what adults do, I'm kind of openmined, I'm only concerned about children and drugs.

But yes, if I was dictator of the world, I would kill the trafficker before he turned you into an addict. If you want to make an omelette, you have to break some eggs. I've seen so many people lose everything through drug abuse, that I think it's the most unfunny thing I can think of.

The DEA has changed its focus and are not even messing with the cartels as much as in the past....these days they're more interested in corrupt doctors at Walmart with oxycontin.

This was a good guy, and a total waste:

FBI — Three Colombian Nationals Sentenced to Prison for the Kidnapping and Murder of DEA Agent Terry Watson
cards26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 21:42   #21

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Could the internet be a source, too?
It could, if it is available. It is easy enough to find and print the info when the drugs are first purchased. When in need the recommendation of the local pharmacist can best be checked on the internet, if available. If not, the PDR or other book may not always serve due to many drugs not being approved in the US, and also the aforementioned problem with different names. Sometimes one has to be resourceful, and/or trust the local experts...

BTW when I headed south from San Diego I first visited a doctor there who did a physical and then set me up with a range of prescriptions. He was offering this service to cruisers. Not a bad idea I think.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 03:32   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Wayne.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 15:22   #23

Boat: Trisbal 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards26 View Post
This is the French legal system and not the English Tort law system; you can't sue people here for pain and suffering or incompetence. You really don't get much if you win, like a few thousand.
Can you explain how the French legal system applies in Latin America ??? FYI I know about the differences between Roman continental legal systems and the English common law system. But I love it how out of disdain anything different from the sooo wonderful US ends up being called French (ie crap). There are great things in all cultures and other stuff not worthwhile in all of them too, so let's not judge too hastily please.
belle-isle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 16:02   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle-isle View Post
Can you explain how the French legal system applies in Latin America ??? FYI I know about the differences between Roman continental legal systems and the English common law system. But I love it how out of disdain anything different from the sooo wonderful US ends up being called French (ie crap). There are great things in all cultures and other stuff not worthwhile in all of them too, so let's not judge too hastily please.
He does means it's based on civil code as you suggest, but many call this Napoleonic/ French as opposed to the Corpus Jurus Civilis since the French made significant changes to the code. Here in Canada we consider the system used in Quebec to be Napoleonic, as does much of Latin America, and at least here it's not meant pejoratively.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 16:04   #25

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

We have found it easiest to simply have a family member pick up the script from our home pharmacy( that we are established with) and mail to us. We are cruising the US. It can be easy or very hard to use new pharmacies, for me the big deal is the manufacturer of my meds cannot change( even a national chain can have different sources), I found out the hard way that I cannot use my med manufactured from Sandoz. Not sure why, maybe an additive.
Our insurance, we have just discovered, offers mail prescription service which we plan to try. It automatically sends refills to address, in this case would be our mail service St Brendon Ilse.maybe your insurance does the same.
Hope that helps
Erika

PS
We have a PDR aboard ( I'm an RN) but so far have used Internet to double check my pills are what the pharm says they are, to research interactions, adverse effects, dosage, etc.
Old 22-04-2015, 16:52   #26

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
We have found it easiest to simply have a family member pick up the script from our home pharmacy( that we are established with) and mail to us. We are cruising the US. It can be easy or very hard to use new pharmacies, for me the big deal is the manufacturer of my meds cannot change( even a national chain can have different sources), I found out the hard way that I cannot use my med manufactured from Sandoz. Not sure why, maybe an additive.
Our insurance, we have just discovered, offers mail prescription service which we plan to try. It automatically sends refills to address, in this case would be our mail service St Brendon Ilse.maybe your insurance does the same.
Hope that helps
Erika

PS
We have a PDR aboard ( I'm an RN) but so far have used Internet to double check my pills are what the pharm says they are, to research interactions, adverse effects, dosage, etc.
While chemically identical active components of drugs are strictly controlled the inactive ingredients are not as long as they conform to known safe chemicals. When I worked for Glaxo we used galactose sugar to bind our pills because it does not cause issues for lactose intolerant individuals. Generic brands from other companies with the same active ingredient and dose were released using lactose as a binder. If you happened to be lactose intolerant you didn't want to be taking the generic. Why did the generics use lactose? Simple, it's cheap.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising