Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2016, 21:32   #76

Re: Florida Anchor Ban Still Unsigned by governor

What I agree on with no doubt is that Florida is paradise on earth.......and ya'll should never leave. It's cold,rainy and nasty here in the P.N.W. The sun almost never comes out, the fishing sucks, the winds always blowin wrong, I can't find one damn thing about it here that anyone would ever like, so just trying to save ya the hassle of coming all the way out here just to find out it's not what any one ever would want to endure. Wishing I could find a short cut to Florida but damn it's a far piece o travel and me and my boat are to old to make the trip.

Oh ya forgot to mention, we got boat people too, them Canuck's ya know! HA HA HA!!!
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 07:54   #77

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Did he sign the dang law yet!?
He doesn't have to sign it. Unless he veto's it, it will become law.

http://flfamily.org/wp-content/uploa...tRetriever.pdf
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 08:13   #78

Boat: Formosa 41

How much does fresh water cost in BKH, and how do people steal it?
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 08:34   #79
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
.05 a gallon @ city marina marathon...done via honor system. Can pull up your vessel top off tanks and they can pump out your holding tank at same time for $5 a vessel, not $5 a holding tank.

It's more about people not paying the $22 a day transient facilities rate...many boat people in the harbor simply wait till after 6pm and go ashore in their dink, fill water cans, run to store, bars etc.
A lot of cruisers who know the system even pull up their vessel at nite on calm nites, top off water, throw trash even send someone for a quick run to grocery store/booze store making a quick 2-3 hour pit stop...pathetic how cheap people with $10-100K boats can be LOL .

It's far. As sneaking into dink dock, grabbing stores, filli water jugs, throwing trash & you're just anchoring in the anchorage, doing it a few days and leaving right away no biggie IMO, not honorable but experienced cruisers seemingly do it all the time...to no end.

The problem is when some squatters/boat people don't follow rules/obey laws on long term basis or feel it's their human right to go ashore take water throw trash without paying for these services it breaks moral of those who do follow rules. City marina has been known to trespass people which gets you taken a few blocks away to jail, where you get processed, mug shot, wait for arraignment and bond out awaiting your court date where you will most likely be put on probation and enter monroe county revolving door of endless court B.S. And fees...

Joke in monroe county "come on vacation, leave on probation, come back on violation"
Sailor Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 08:36   #80
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Don't know about bhk but I googlesd and here is the rate in longboat key
Water, Sewer and Garbage Rates - Longboat Key, Florida
So if you take water from a non public source you are actually stealing water at an estimated rate of .0024 cents per gallon a real grand larceny if I ever saw one. LOL
Old 23-03-2016, 09:11   #81
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Not sure this is about a "monied beast".

First off contrary to what some others have posted BKH Marina is not really a money maker for the city. In fact by its opponents it loses money. First off it gets big bucks from the federal and state grants that are often overlooked in determining if it is in the red or black. Next there are some real hidden costs. A lot of the long time year round folks living in the harbor are on some type of disability. Not to mention a significant number have an alcohol problem (and drugs as well) resulting in the need for emergency services. More than once I have seen LEOs called to take some one off their boat for a trip to Fisherman's Hospital, often billed at five figures and not paid for. But compared to what BKH was before this is an improvement. Tax payer funded pump outs have improved water quality and anchoring is mostly limited to the far end of the harbor. Anyone who has ever been at the dinghy dock after 6:00PM knows there is a huge influx of tenders who don't have a sticker. They come in to go to bars, shop, dump trash, beg a shower card, steal wifi, and steal water.

What ever one thinks about the cost of a ball there it is a lot less than a room at a local hotel/motel. As a rule folks in a hotel/motel will eat out more often and if they have a kitchen will buy more food that will be more expensive at stores. Fishing trips, dive trips, buying toys and such is much more common on tourists living in hotels than on boats.

It is all too easy to point a finger at rich guys living in waterfront MacMansions, but that ignores the fact that the huge majority of folks in Florida see their tax bills increasing to pay for things they never use to prevent things like pollution from the things they will never use.

Pump outs are a classic example. In many crowded places in Florida they are free to the boater (but paid for using federal and state grants). There are also a lot of boaters who seem to think there is nothing wrong with dumping directly in the ocean if they think they can get away with it. Same goes for throwing trash overboard. Not to mention the number of folks who think water should be free.

In the past folks could get away with ignoring pumpouts and freely dumping trash. Problem is not there are so many more folks both on boats and on land that not only is there more trash, but also more folks to catch bad actors dumping. Sad to say I only see that getting worse due to even more peeps.
Don't even get me going about the pump out boat becoming the "get the sickly ashore so ambulance can take them to fisherman's hospital" drama...

Srsly, that like once a month minimal someone is having a heartattack, you see/hear about the pump out boat bringing them ashore, where the ambulance takes them around the corner to fisherman's hospital and then a few hours later here comes the in bound medical chopper (approaches/departs over the harbor-this is why you must have anchor lights on at nite so the air ambulance can see the masts height and doesn't crash into masts) to fly them to Jackson hospital in Miami ($60K one way trip) locals can register for an endorsement sticker for the florida I.d to reduce this fee to few thousand..

I can count 8 old sea dogs rushed to fisherman's one my hand from 6 months. After you're one of those people, they usually move you/your boat to the floating dock a.k.a "death row" so they don't have to wrestle you ashore from out in the harbor & the ambulance can't get to you quicker...funny old capt jack (94) outlives all who get placed there, next off prolly be one eyed Tom who hasn't been aboard his vessel in 6months yet his boat takes up prime space-dumpy boat needs to go on the hard at a yard...

Last guy bumped off death row had ambulances coming weekly so the doctors finally refused to let him return to his boat placing him in a healthy home and his boat went to brokerage.

There sure is a lot of geriatrics waiting to die as well as drunks/drug addicts in Boot Key Harbor it seems? But it's great place for those on Medicaid/Medicare waiting to die, hospital close, plenty of do good ers to do odd jobs/provide pity...facilities to keep them busy, senior center when they can get a free lunch just across the street, do gooder place to give them groceries...

Haven't boated Florida IMO till you've lived in Boot Key Harbor during season LOL! I'm a key worst kinda guy but the drama in. Boot Key Harbor sure is hard to beat...sure wish the marina would get the harbor cams fixed...nice when you can spy on people via inter webs and call them busting on them LOL people do this at sloppy joes...
Old 23-03-2016, 09:24   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Don't know about bhk but I googlesd and here is the rate in longboat key
Water, Sewer and Garbage Rates - Longboat Key, Florida
So if you take water from a non public source you are actually stealing water at an estimated rate of .0024 cents per gallon a real grand larceny if I ever saw one. LOL

That isn't the issue, air is free, often convenience stores charge for it being compressed. It's not legal or moral if you steal it.

Many little grass strips around the country if you fly in there is a mail box and a request for x amount of dollars to help pay for the mowing of the strip.
I've seen people in a Million dollar Pilatus not pay, and a guy in a homebuilt, lawnmower powered ultralight pay, but pay, to not is just wrong.

I'm happy to pay for a pump out and water, I'm happy it's available and want it to stay available, abuse a privilege is the surest way to lose it.

I never have, but I don't have a problem paying for an anchorage if it helps me keep it, but $30 to $40 a night? I don't see that either, I think $10 a night is high, that is what my slip in my Marina costs, but I'll pay it if it keeps it available and clean.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 09:40   #83
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"air ambulance can see the masts height and doesn't crash into masts) to fly them to Jackson hospital in Miami ($60K one way "
And what does the price structure of the US medical industry have to do with the cost of tea in China? Or, boating and marina fees and regulations?
Helo costs are something like $1000 per hour (someone know for sure?), helo has to go round trip so maybe it is four hours total including waiting time. The crew salaries and equipment will push that up quite a bit--so let's say five or six grand for this helo, times four hours, maybe $25,000 and the rest is just called "The rich and the suckers pay for those who can't".
The same way a hospital charges you $100 per liter of saline, when you can buy it from any supplier for *one* dollar. And a Tylenol is charged at $45 "to cover the pharmacy costs" when CVS will gladly sell you 100 for $4. Including their pharmacy costs.
Medevac costs will also make that air ambulance cost nothing--if the victim has insurance in the first place. These days, with Obamacare, everything is HMO or PPO and you're going to be out-of-network and out-of-pocket for the entire amount, unless you've got something better. And the many "for profit" hospitals run by interstate corporations these days, give you no accommodation for not being rich.

But again, that's got nothing to do with the price of tea in China. It should just remind boaters heading off to the boonies (yeah, that's the Keys too) that they might need insurance, despite the cost.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 09:58   #84

And just where does one suggest that boaters put their trash if not in the garbage bins on land?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 10:05   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Jer View Post
City marina has been known to trespass people which gets you taken a few blocks away to jail, where you get processed, mug shot, wait for arraignment and bond out awaiting your court date where you will most likely be put on probation and enter monroe county revolving door of endless court B.S. And fees...

Joke in monroe county "come on vacation, leave on probation, come back on violation"
I've read many of your posts and I haven't figured out entirely where your coming from. I know you posted that you're in favor of the anchoring ban on the governor's desk.

Are you a, "We need more laws to fix things." guy or a, "We have too many laws." kinda' guy.

Looking at the quote, above I'm wondering where these trespassers stay while they're being processed.

If you don't like anchor-outs it looks like the City Marina, police and the judicial system are working against you.
Old 23-03-2016, 10:41   #86
cruiser

Quote:
I've read many of your posts and I haven't figured out entirely where your coming from. I know you posted that you're in favor of the anchoring ban on the governor's desk.

Are you a, "We need more laws to fix things." guy or a, "We have too many laws." kinda' guy.

Looking at the quote, above I'm wondering where these trespassers stay while they're being processed.

If you don't like anchor-outs it looks like the City Marina, police and the judicial system are working against you.
What's to figure out???
I'm just sharing information, as I see it like the old school media where they didn't present things as an opinion to sell you a perspective on an issue but shared whole simple facts without taking a side...simple as that...I really take little if any sides/stands on much of anything which is in old school speak a "independent", I like to look, laugh and love life...boats are fun, now you got me figured out I guess...
Old 23-03-2016, 10:58   #87
CLOD

Boat: none

Some people are just miserable SOBs who truly only care about their fellow human beings if they for into their group. Once out of their acceptable group behavior one would think someone is stealing their birthday or something.
Old 23-03-2016, 11:02   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Jer View Post
What's to figure out???
I'm just sharing information, as I see it like the old school media where they didn't present things as an opinion to sell you a perspective on an issue but shared whole simple facts without taking a side...simple as that...I really take little if any sides/stands on much of anything which is in old school speak a "independent", I like to look, laugh and love life...boats are fun, now you got me figured out I guess...
You sided with the anchor ban.
Old 23-03-2016, 12:48   #89

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
And just where does one suggest that boaters put their trash if not in the garbage bins on land?

In garbage bins on land that are not paid for by someone else.

A lot of boats that are cruising only have access to a dumpster once or twice a month. Even boats that go ashore every day are still produce trash. That trash takes up space in dumpsters that is quite often paid for by someone else. That someone else is citizens of Florida through taxes and trash fees for their homes, condos, what ever.

In BKH it is common to see the two dumpsters they have in season overflowing due to boats arriving with weeks of trash being dumped in one or two trips to shore. Not to mention folks who bop into the anchorage, come ashore after 6:00PM, and taking advantage.

Not sure you are aware of how many local govts are putting their trash on barges and shipping it to South America because the landfills close by are overflowing from years of dumping.

At some point it becomes obvious that there are simply too many people in too many boats trying to crowd together in too few places in Florida, and sad to say a significant number of these folks think it is alright to shove the costs of their cruising on the tax payers of Florida. And then they wonder why they are not greeted with open arms.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 12:53   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
In garbage bins on land that are not paid for by someone else.

A lot of boats that are cruising only have access to a dumpster once or twice a month. Even boats that go ashore every day are still produce trash. That trash takes up space in dumpsters that is quite often paid for by someone else. That someone else is citizens of Florida through taxes and trash fees for their homes, condos, what ever.

In BKH it is common to see the two dumpsters they have in season overflowing due to boats arriving with weeks of trash being dumped in one or two trips to shore. Not to mention folks who bop into the anchorage, come ashore after 6:00PM, and taking advantage.

Not sure you are aware of how many local govts are putting their trash on barges and shipping it to South America because the landfills close by are overflowing from years of dumping.

At some point it becomes obvious that there are simply too many people in too many boats trying to crowd together in too few places in Florida, and sad to say a significant number of these folks think it is alright to shove the costs of their cruising on the tax payers of Florida. And then they wonder why they are not greeted with open arms.
They have to be buying something somewhere to be producing all that trash.

Tags
anchor, florida